Do magnetic sump plugs work

They can work quite well, I've seen a removed plug and you could all the metal particles that it had caught - I was impressed!

Filter magnet? You mean filter with a magnet or just attaching a magnet to existing filter. Fitted sump magnet a while ago, curious to see how much it picks up.

Yeah - just a hollow cylindrical set of magnets which go around the filter and assist retention of ferromagnetic particles. I can't use them cos my car has the filter element in a plastic bucket on top of the engine

http://www.blue-diamond.co.uk/FilterMAG/FilterMAG.htm

Apparently it's a good idea to remove the sump (oil pan) periodically and clean it from the inside too. I, however, have never done this

I would hope so, but nothing wrong with a little double insurance and a little more piece of mind.

One thing that I have heard about them is that they can clump it all up into one big bunch then once it gets too large for the magnet to hold it chucks a large clump of it off into the engine and through the oil pump :/
Not sure how correct that is or how harmful it could be but it does sound perfectly possible.

i think for what they cost it gives piece of mind,i,ve seen them for as little as £4.75 on ebay!!! mine was £12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PG has a point - if there's that much metal floating about you have an engine problem. Not all engine components are made of ferrous metals either. So flakes of aluminium from pistons will not be affected by the magnets.