What is your BHP

243.6 bhp i got a couple of weeks on a rolling road not bad to say my car is 18 years old and only has a cat back exhaust and a dirty induction kit

Mine's a paltry 200 measured, but it is only a mildly tuned nasp. Besides power isn't everything, a tight nut behind the wheel and a good chassis can make up for the lack of horses. ;)

BHP is useful for pub bragging rights only. The performance of a vehicle is more accurately related to lbs/ft.

I don't know mine at the minute as I haven't had it checked yet...I think standard it had 285BHP, it's had minor mods like exhaust and air intake system so I'd like to think it's sitting at around 300BHP but as it's 23 years old it's probably lost a few.

but I haven't started on the upgrades yet :p

If only it were that simple

Obviously 500bhp is way better than 300bhp but this "bhp figure" can be misleading because it is only available at certain revs - and its no good if it is only available at between 8000 and 8500rpm

it is really what power is available when you want use it (all the time springs to mind :toung:)

Or.......

speed is how fast you hit the wall
bhp is how much power you had before you hit it which dissapears immeadiately on impact
Torque is how farm you moved the wall after you hit it which doesnt

What you really need is a lot of power over a wide power band . This cannot be done without lots of torque

The best title for this thread would be show us your dyno print outs

But even then you still have to get that power onto the road and then there is the weight of the car and ........................over to og :D

We all know this so why turn a simple thread for a big of fun into a whinge.

Mine was measured at 314bhp a while ago, a few more mods and more boost later and I estimate around the 350bhp mark. Just waiting for Spec-R to release their intercooler and I can get it live mapped to see 380bhp easily.

It was far from a whinge was just adding to og s comment which I notice you didnt flame

anyway for BBJ :cheesy:

509 is at the hubs ( about 575 ) It was just over 600 but has been remapped for a better torque curve

My little race car 'only' had 161lb of torque at 4001rpm (iirc) as tested on the dyno not a lot by some stds but it only weighed 790kg with me in it and had relatively short gearing which helped a lot. My bhp was 194.7 on the dyno at 7000. I race competitively against 280bhp cars on handling tracks but on power tracks such as snetterton, they'd just pull away on the straights... so I chose my tracks wisely and had a lot of fun! This was on a 1.9ltr 8v engine.

My little old skool engine seemed to have torque which newer engine designs did not... Whereas Honda's vtecs appeared to not have any really usable torque untill 6k my little car had it in bucket loads at 4k which is why I think I did well on handling circuits compared to them. I know one of the racers saw some in car footage and came up to me and said 'I can't believe how little you change gears'... which told me his Civic type R must of had a very narrow power band compared to my little'un

Rubbish :p
When we start getting lots of septics with there 500bhp V12's Ill start to agree lol

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, it isn't rubbish. BHP figures quoted are the maximum reached. This figure is achieved only for the split second before having to change gear.

Maximum torque is achieved further down the rev range so is much more useful. Also, the optimum RPM for changing gear is somewhere between max torgue and max BHP, so you usually never achieve max BHP.

An engine with good low down torgue (grunt) will out drag a high revving BHP car. Also, powering out of corners is easier with low down torque than high end BHP.

If we have to talk Pub BHP, I can run with the big boys :)

Design power 520bhp and 420lb/ft
Using Q16 race fuel this increases to around 600bhp and 500lb/ft
Then there is 100bhp nitrous if required. As this comes in low in the rev range its affect is more like torque than BHP.

I can talk the talk but have yet to walk the walk :)

Of course, power isn't everything, you also have to consider vehicle weight. So the power to weight ratio is much more revealing :)

PS Just noticed that this post is almost a rewrite of Sleeper's!

Last edited:
320 at the wheels
400 at the fly.

Not quite as good as sleepers! Git! lol :lol:

Attachments

• 03032012064.jpg
    03032012064.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 03032012065.jpg
    03032012065.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
We all know this so why turn a simple thread for a big of fun into a whinge.

When power figures start to be thrown around, pedants like me always come out of the woodwork :)

Anyway, it is still fun and a lot of people don't know the difference between torque and BHP so this can be educational as well as fun :)

It was far from a whinge was just adding to og s comment which I notice you didnt flame

anyway for BBJ :cheesy:

509 is at the hubs ( about 575 ) It was just over 600 but has been remapped for a better torque curve

Am I reading this right? 1800lb/ft? WOW! How did you manage this?

That would explain the 8.9392 1/4 mile :)

As an aside, love the Maine Coons. We have brother and sister Coons. The boy is white and called Puff and his sister is Whisper and looks similar to your two tone brown one. Are they both boys?

Im told you divide that figure by the relevant gear ratio Makes the tourque just over 450 which sounds about right.

It was mapped for bhp only just as an excercise once ( for the pub :lol:) and ran just over 600 with the exact same spec , just a different map
The torque was also higher but the curve was a peak rather that a plateau .

With its current map it has 30 bhp less but with a much better power curve
It is much quicker and better to drive

which shows bhp aint the be all and end all and thats why us pedants have to post .

Re the cats .
Not sure what pics you saw ,I did had a brown tabby called floyd but he died about a year ago. I now have two brothers just under 18 months old

Silver is a silver Tabby and is big even for an MC (8.5 kg)

His brother mups is a shaded black Im not thats a quite rare colour Looks quite strange his fur is silver grey underneath and black on top with a silver maine and belly he has a jet black head and black whiskas
he is about average size for a MC boy 7.5kg

not sure but im guessing mine has a whole 130 maybe 135 at a push, but i dont need big horse's for fun lol and i have only got half a car lol

For my legacy I would say the same as Paul 200+hp

Fast No
Slow No
Competent/Adequate on A|B roads and Motorways Yes

theres mine done back in 2011

this was still on 2" bore exhaust system and downpipe and was running rich as hell 10.6afr at wot.

since then have fitted full 2.5" bore system and downpipe/elbow, and got the fuelling leaned off to 11.4afr still going have a fettle to lean it out another 0.4ish if possible.
Also iv had a billet comp wheel fitted into my turbo which has 15% more flow than my old one.
will be interesting to see what it makes this year but its not bad for a car that weighs only 860kg and will do a standing 1/4 in the low 12s

I have no idea, every where I look gives different figures for a stock set up and nowhere can I find corresponding numbers, will have to find a dyno somewhere.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back