picks of my engine bay

My shopping list :)

2013-01-07163558.jpg

The Volvo is now at it's temporary home, and today I took this lot up to join it:

The engine has an v70/s60 t5 2005 model head with the vvt cams and the vvt deleted with blanks made. So they are now fixed much like the 850 items with 15 degrees of adjustment. The head has the smaller valve stems and is ported and polished. It also has solid lifters s60r head gasket.

The block is a 2000 model 2.4 v70r 83mm piston type with Mahle pistons, new rings and has sten parner h section rods with arp studs.

With a k24 and an early revision map on it produced 436hp and 408lb torque on 15psi during the mapping on the second mineral oil running-in stage.

20130114_155352.jpg

Last edited:
Hope to have the engine in by the end of the week, mineral oil is used because it isn't as "slippery" as normal oil, so lets the piston rings bed in better which will help with compression and oil consumption.

So, as I can't work on the car at the weekend, I thought I'd start making a new slam panel.

This is how it looked before I started:
1-2.jpg

Then measure and mix up some black gel coat:
2-2.jpg

And brush it all over the original panel:
3-3.jpg

Leave it for three hours to go tacky, lay down the carbon fiber, then mix up the clear resin and brush on:

5-1.jpg

Leave over night in a warm shed
Whilst it was left to harden I cut out some logos in yellow carbon vinyl.
Next morning I sanded all the rough bits off with 120 grit wet or dry, then stuck all the logos on:
you can just see the carbon effect on the vinyl:

6-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

Next stage is to mix up more clear resin, and brush on.

11-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

And that's how far I've got so far, I need to leave it another 6 hours before brushing on more resin, then let it set for 24 hours before I can wet sand it all and finally polish it all up.

Note that this is not making a carbon part, but much like vinyl wrapping but with real Carbon Fiber

A couple more pics with the third application of resin, all the unevenness will be sorted during the colour sanding tomorrow.

20130203_144954.jpg

20130203_144925.jpg

20130203_145006.jpg

I'm a bit dissapointed that you can't really see the carbon effect on the vinyl.

just read your post for nearly 2 hours claymore, absolutely amazing read, great inspiration and really shows what somebody can achieve when they put their mind to it, very well done :)

Starting all over? :blink:
Yes, although the process worked just fine, the part I used as the original form wasn't good enough, so next time I'll form it on a sheet of glass.
At the moment I'm just practicing in readiness to modify my CF rear defuser.

Just to bring this back up to date, new engine and modifications all in, engine seemed like a good one, unfortunately it looks like i bought a bodge job. first real pull at full boost the engine split a liner, so back to the drawing board. new bare block being picked up tomorrow then the job of swapping everything off the damaged one onto the new one.
I will say the car was mentally quick with 35psi of boost :)

Sorry to hear the bad news about the liner Clay but good news to hear about it's very quick potential ;)

Dont know, but it did 336bhp at 18psi with a split liner and run aborted at 4500k rpm due to temp gauge going off the scale.

Shame about the liner mate!

Is that the total boost being created by the S/C and turbo? Does the S/C get cut off at higher revs?

Yes that's the combined boost of the Turbo and SC, no the SC is always driven by the crank pulley.

I thought the purpose of a S/C was to give immediate boost? Which was then bypassed and the large turbo comes in without lag? Or is my understand wrong? So do you have them both boosting constantly?

I thought the purpose of a S/C was to give immediate boost? Which was then bypassed and the large turbo comes in without lag? Or is my understand wrong? So do you have them both boosting constantly?
Yes you have it wrong, the Supercharger is a compressor which compresses the charge out of the Turbo (compound charged, not twin charged)

^^^ best way to do it..... keeps both compressors in there efficient range rather than just blowing hot air out of a single turbo or supercharger....

Yes you have it wrong, the Supercharger is a compressor which compresses the charge out of the Turbo (compound charged, not twin charged)

Ahh... For some bizare reason I was thinking of a twin charger system, not compound! Cheers for clearing it up though. :)

Time to make a new Intercooler, start with another Noble M400 £16 off ebay:

2013-04-04155736.jpg

Chop off the bits I don't need:

2013-04-04191442.jpg

2013-04-04191430.jpg

I need to build this bit back up and join the pipe back on:

2013-04-04191537.jpg

And a quick pic of the new calipers against an old Subaru 4 pot:

2013-04-04155835.jpg

Aston Martin calipers :blink: You young rascal you, where did you get those from Clay?
And don't state the obvious :lol: