Coupe/Saloon/Estate/Hatchback. What do you prefer and why?

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
As per title.

I prefer coupes because not only do they generally look best imo, but you get the leg room and boot space that the saloon offer.

Any other thoughts?

I like my saloon for it's practicality as the seats fold down so that I can slide bigger objects into the boot. But I must admit to wanting a slicker designed Coupe hopefully within the next two years. Something powerful yet very sporty.

I think cos I was born in 1970 and more cars were saloons then, plus as I became aware of cars dad had a p6 rover v8, my favourite type of car has always been the saloon.

Sucker for coupe's as I love the shape of most of them, more sporty feel. But I also love saloons due to the handling they can offer. Obvioulsy a reason most companies used a saloon for BTCC lol.

Sucker for coupe's as I love the shape of most of them, more sporty feel. But I also love saloons due to the handling they can offer. Obvioulsy a reason most companies used a saloon for BTCC lol.

They quite often have a stiffer chassis.

I suppose it also depends on where you live. If I lived in an area with minimal parking I would probably stick with a hatchback. What hatchback would be a completely different thread...

They quite often have a stiffer chassis.

I suppose it also depends on where you live. If I lived in an area with minimal parking I would probably stick with a hatchback. What hatchback would be a completely different thread...

Whats wrong with parking a saloon? :blink:

I have never had trouble. And I have a turning Circle of 11m

The gaps people leave in most cases are big enough to fit any standard size car in.

If a woman in a hatchback can fit into a space, then I would put money on id be able to make the same space with my Evo :bigsmile:

As BBJ says, never had a problem with saloons. But some of the best cars for rallying, touring cars, hill climbs etc etc, have mostly been saloons.

-Mercs (190e cosworth for one is a nice road going version), BMW's, Vectras and Cavaliers in BTCC, just to name a couple.

-Subaru's and Evo's in Rallying. I mean, look what happened to subaru when they released the hatchback lol. Covered their tracks now though as they have redone it in a saloon and looks bloody evil.

2011-Subaru-Impreza-STI-001.jpg

Subaru-Impreza_WRX_STI_2011_800x600_wallpaper_07.jpg

Subaru-Impreza-61010101138162551600x1060.jpg

But there is one coupe that holds a special place in my heart and thats the Calibra. Also did amazing in the touring car scene with the Calibra DTM and Cliff Motorsport, both of which you buy version of for the road, but you will be hard pushed to find a Cliff Motorsport original as they only came out abroad and very very few were made.

1101962975_709e194708.jpg

Last edited:
Never thought about it really. I don't like 2dr and 3dr cars with rear seats though. Claustrophobic place to be in the back with no doors.

Perhaps we should include convertibles as well?

Estates and hatches for me, you can fit so much more in the back than with a saloon! I do think that saloon cars look nicer though generally, with a tasteful spoiler fitted.

I really like the look of my Avant Audi though, and find it quite easy to park.

I like estates, as people tend to underate them, then get a big shock when you put your foot down at the lights, plus there good if you need the space....

For me coupés are ideal & my next car will most likely be one because their the best compromise. I'd like a 2 seater sports car but a coupe has roof that's more practical for everyday use & generally speaking, it keeps the body stiffererer. You also get a decent boot for shopping & sports gear etc. I don't need a moredoor so the a 3 doors will be fine for me as I don't carry many back seat passengers so I'd be happy to lose the rear seats too.

Ideally I'd love a BMW Z3 M Coupe but those things hold their price too well! :lol: