Catalytic converter

SHANNCON

Wrench Pro
Car
Jaguar XF 2013
My wife's Peugeot GTI180 is 5 years old, with only 17,000KMS.

It has developed an "Anti pollution fault" and the engine warning light comes on.

I have found that taking it out, for a few KMS, and revving hard, gets rid of this fault.

To me, it seems that the catalytic converter is not getting hot enough to do its job. My wife only drives about 4 kms each journey.

When the car is stopped there is a strong smell of petrol unless the engine is revved hard before shutting off.

My questions are:-

Does the Catalytic Converter need replacing?
Is it dangerous in its present condition?
Any useful comments regarding the problem?
:confused:

It is possible for Cats to fail early but i'd be more inclined to have the Lambda sensor checked first. If these fail or are not up to spec it will cause over fuelling, this will cause the smell and prevent the Cat reaching temp quickly.

This will give you a picture how it looks, what it does and where is located.
Its not for your model as you didn't said what is it exactly, or I'm just 'thick' ;), this one is for 206 2.0 petrol.
Good luck

If after blasting it, the fault persist. Please run a scan on it. But i suspect dumping of fuel into the cylinders by either your ECM OR INJECTORS, Since you smell fuel after parking. Scanning still remain your best option.

In most cases a failed cat is a sympton, when neat fuel gets to the cat it very quickly deteriorates.

Things that cause a car to run Rich and unburned fuel to get into the cat are the lambda sensor (look for wires going into a plug somewhere on the exhaust) and the other area is the air intake sensor, look for a unit with wires in it just past the air filter.

A friend of mine with an MX5 replaced his cat 3 times in 6 months until the garage spotted that both the lambda and intake sensors were faulty.

A good garage should be able to check the sensors without the trial and error replace them expense to verify if this is the case for you.