E36 318iS easy tuning

FredrikNor

Car
BMW 318is
Hello.

Do anybody have som tips and tricks to some easy and cheap thing I can do with my 318is to increase the performance?

Hello and welcome to the nuthouse mate ;)

cheap tuning doesnt really come into it. whats the budget ? what are you wanting power handling ?

My budget are around 3 - 4 grand =)
I want more power, cause i have upgraded suspension and brakes.. So I want some easy things to do to increase the power to 170 - 200 hp =)

"318" and "performance" don't really work in the same sentence. With that budget you should be looking at a new car or at the very least an engine change.

Hello.

Do anybody have som tips and tricks to some easy and cheap thing I can do with my 318is to increase the performance?

Hello mate,

I too have a 318is. So listen up.

- Cat-back exhaust (you can also de-cat if you want to).
- Simota Induction kit.
- Big bore throttle bodies.
- Remap.

That should see you over 160bhp. If you want more then you have 3 options. Option 1 is to turbo. Crazy power figures can be achieved by boosting the little 4 pot, however it will be expensive. Option 2 is to swap the M42/M44 for a 6 pot engine. Option 3 is to buy another car.

What suspension and brake setup are you running?

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.
You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

I want someting that is a little more special, it's not so many who tune their 4 sylinder engine in BMW.. Everyone put a 6 sylinder in the car instead, and I don't want that =)
So i'm not going to buy a new car =)

Hello mate,

- Simota Induction kit.
- Remap.

That should see you over 160bhp. If you want more then you have 3 options. Option 1 is to turbo. Crazy power figures can be achieved by boosting the little 4 pot, however it will be expensive. Option 2 is to swap the M42/M44 for a 6 pot engine. Option 3 is to buy another car.

I have Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers and H&R Supersport springs.. And my Brakes are EBC ventilated, slotted and drilled discs with green stuff brake pads =)

"318" and "performance" don't really work in the same sentence. With that budget you should be looking at a new car or at the very least an engine change.

That's not what I want.. And for 3 - 4 grand in Norway, you don't get a car, you get a piece of crap :toung:

Last edited:
I have Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers and H&R Supersport springs.. And my Brakes are EBC ventilated, slotted and drilled discs with green stuff brake pads =)

Sounds like a good setup. Get yourself some an X-brace and some Powerflex poly bushes as well. It'll make such a difference.

It's also nice to see someone tuning a 4 pot. They have good potential. Have you got an M42 or M44?

Sounds like a good setup. Get yourself some an X-brace and some Powerflex poly bushes as well. It'll make such a difference.

It's also nice to see someone tuning a 4 pot. They have good potential. Have you got an M42 or M44?

I forgot to write that I have Powerflex all over and H&R sway bars under the car :D
I have a M42 =)

Last edited:
nice to find someone else who wants to tune a four pot and not do an engine swap i have an m44 and just starting looking at tuning it hope all your plans go well

I've got an M42 as well! Sounds like all you need suspension wise is an X-brace (from an M3 Vert).

When you reach 10 posts, upload some pictures. I'd love to see your E36.

215333_10150151809051542_649576541_7018661_7010150_n.jpg

Here you have a picture of my 318is =)
It's not clean on this picture, but that's the only one I got on my computer ^^

@FredrikNor
Your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)

@FredrikNor
Your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)

Oh, sorry.. I misunderstood the rules, but thanks! :D

I'm liking that mate. Some twist side skirts would look good too.

I can't shift out my sideskirts, the car is a original M-tech, so everything outside is like a M3 =)

And if you look carefully, you may see that I have those sideskirts you are talking about ^^

Last edited:
I can't shift out my sideskirts, the car is a original M-tech, so everything outside is like a M3 =)

And if you look carefully, you may see that I have those sideskirts you are talking about ^^

Oh yeah! My bad! I couldn't see them before. I had to do the Mtec conversion as mine was non-mtec. I did everything apart from the mirrors as I plan on getting AC Schnitzer mirrors instead.

The only thing I'm not so keen on are the 18 inch MV1s. I think E36s look better on 17s.

Hello mate,

- Simota Induction kit.
- Remap.

what big bore throttle bodies are you using?

theres not much point tuning a 318is, at most, sort out induction and exhuast and chip it, if you have 3-4 grand for it, throw that at an m3 or 323/325/328, you will still have some cash left to tune that or insure it

theres not much point tuning a 318is, at most, sort out induction and exhuast and chip it, if you have 3-4 grand for it, throw that at an m3 or 323/325/328, you will still have some cash left to tune that or insure it

I disagree completely. Every engine is worth tuning it just depends on budget and what you want from it.

You can supercharge a 318is beyond 200bhp, or turbo it beyond that. The 4 pot handles better due to the weight and with the same power output should be better around a track (in theory).

I wouldn't dismiss the 4 pots mate, as I'm sure some of them will show you up one day.

I disagree, putting say 1 bar boost on a 318is and a 328i, there both beast's in their own right, but the 328 would see huge gains relatively safely over the 'is', and weight? theres hardly any difference, plus the 6 cyl is smoother i have owned both 4 and 6 cyl, and about me getting beaten by a 4 pot? the chances are their, if the engine is tuned, but my tds cost me 800, i spent 200 on it, thats a grand, find a 4 pot bmw for a grand that would beat me? good luck!

You're missing the point still. I really dislike the 'just buy a faster car' type response. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

nice to find someone else who wants to adjust the pan and four to do an engine change, and M44 are just starting looking at optimization of the hope of all plans going well

for your m42b18 i would get :
a nice CAI http://aveiroeliteclub.forumeiros.c...139.imageshack.us/img139/7756/22052009135.jpg , magnecor leads http://aveiroeliteclub.forumeiros.c...366.imageshack.us/img366/8485/17042009055.jpg , proper iridium spark plugs , decat , and a nice chip for the ecu ( if your lucky it will have a slot for the chip and not welded) . http://aveiroeliteclub.forumeiros.c.../img2.imageshack.us/img2/3426/01052009106.jpg
if your engine is healthy you might look to ~165 hp with a hard tuned chip + no issues. upgrading the clutch might be a good idea if you think in driving it hard. http://aveiroeliteclub.forumeiros.c...141.imageshack.us/img141/6120/05062009192.jpg

turbo is not a big problem internals wise but the space available to fit one will... the low compression on this engine helps a lot 8.4:1 i think...