what is the best car to mod that is cheap to insure. look at it from a young driver

Re: what is the best car to mod that is cheap to insure. look at it from a young driv

Just been lookin on AutoTrader. There is a whyte one there. Did a bit of insurance stalking and can get it for £600 fully comp. Although, saying that, it comes up with the reg as a ''Nissan Sunny GTI-R'' Were the pulsers an off branch from the sunny, or did the guy who imported this tweek it a little to get the insurance down?? :blink::confused:

Re: what is the best car to mod that is cheap to insure. look at it from a young driv

No there are a few UK models around.
Sunny is european and Pulsar is Japanese.;)
There is also 2 different specs. RA and RB.

Ah, got you. Do us a favour if your online, and click on my profile, see if my baby is my profile pic please?

It was about time I added a pic on. Jut tryin to add a sectond next to me mini stats like waynne has.

Mark this one down as highly unusual and rarer than a straight answer to a question too a politician :bigsmile:

Nah, I see loads. There is one down the road from me, he hasn't had it too long. His brother has got a mint 205 GTi. Hangs around in all the same circles I used to.

See loads of Glanza's about as well, must see a different one nearly every day.

It's the same this end as well, loads of them about plus a few Levin BZ-Gs as well for good measure

Never seen a Levin on the road! Saw my first EK9 OTR the other day mind.

I've never seen a proper EK type R, they're as rare as rocking horse poo

If I see a BZ-G around I'll try and snap a pic, there's one inparticular that's spotless and tastefully modded, quick too.

a punto GT is a good one to have, im sure MA will be able to help with that

If you can stomach the awful interior and cramped insides, a Starlet is a better choice tbh but you will pay more for a decent one than a decent Punto. Not that there's many decent ones of either left around. Punto is better looking too imo.

Rust is the main thing to watch out for on the Mk1 Punto nowadays. They are quick with mild fettling, cheap to tune, easy to work on and fix and cheap to run. Same goes for the Starlet though. Starlet will be more reliable but they don't have the same raw power delivery of the PGT. Both handle appallingly in stock form!

there we have it everything the man asked for :D the punto i feel will be some what cheaper to insure?

I imagine slightly, but neither are cheap cheap to insure for a youth. Not that it's the only deciding factor but PGT's are still insurance group 14 and the Starlets are imports so doesn't have a UK group AFAIK. You might get lucky with Starlet insurance prices.

You have 3 choices.....

Lie , bite the bullett or get creative with choice of car.

No 1 is asking fot trouble big time . Its no use not declaring mods- might as well not pay for the insurance since they wont pay a claim if you get caught

you said No 2 is out

So just leaves 3

What you want is a std car thats underated ideally a turbo or larger engine version of something which they dont think exists.

For example Nissan stageas have various 2.5l models some with half as much power as the normal one. The rare S us a totally different car which is so much quicker but the insurance people actually class them as a lower group because they are manual not auto ( no good for a young driver but the idea is the important thing )

I think the mitisbishi colt is the same -Im pretty sure there is an early imported turbo version with the same name that some insurance companies dont know about. They are more intersted in if its modded so getting an early std turbo car might be worth looking into .,
You could always get some quotes before you consider buying one,

Note I am not saying lie to them - just find a company that asks ( or doesnt ask ) the right questions

Talking of small unknown early turbo cars, the Daihatsu Charade GTti fit's quite nicely in that catagory I think, a 1.0ltr turbo that puts out about 100bhp in a tiny little body that no one really knows exists

Nice :p seen the starlets but assumed they woul be too pricey being jap import and turbo'd but hey give it a try :eek: tuned to 200 -300 hp apparently :)

There was. A 1.3 micro turbo before it was released to the uk apparently lol