Type R Mods

azrielrules

Wrench Pro
Car
type r integra
im new 2 this and i just scored a 96 jdm type r, its awesum, im just wondering whats the best way 2 go about moding it up 2 get a bit more reliable power (i am looking at supercharging sometime in the future), for now i was thinking scoop on bonnet 2 run cold air str8 in2 poddy, getting a vtec controller and new ecu or performance chip and getting it dyno tuned, has any1 got any better ideas please or am i on the right track? and how much gain culd i expect from what ive suggested? im pretty much a newby 2 doing up cars so all the help would be apreciated thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: mods 4 type r

also what is the best sort of chip to get? im gona hav look at ecu 2mrw and c if its standard i beleve p73 is the ecu for 96 type r jdm am i correct on that? and if i do have to change to a aftermarket ecu which works best with the 96?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome mate. Can you please avoid text speak as well as please as per our T&Cs. Thanks.

I am looking at supercharging sometime in the future.
Look towards a turbo instead mate. But be aware once you add a turbo expect service bills to double. Enjoy it naturally aspirated for a while and give yourself a chance to get used to it.

For now i was thinking scoop on bonnet 2 run cold air str8 in2 poddy.I wouldn't bother tbh. It will look awful. You'd be better off getting a carbon bonnet with some vents in. Although it won't make much difference anyway.

Getting a vtec controller and new ecu or performance chip
The standard ECU is either a P73 or P80. Can't remember off the top of my head. VTEC controller is a good idea but there are mixed views about it. All you can really do is make it come in lower in the rev range. A 'performance chip' is a waste of money. You'll see a very small gain at best. I wouldn't change the ECU.

Instead of thinking power. Think handling. A decent supsension setup will do wonders for the car instead of thinking power. However things I would start with would be:

- Cat-back exhaust
- De-cat or sports cat (depending on how legal de-cats are)
- 4-1 Manifold
- Cold air induction

That'll give you an extra 10-20 bhp and boost throttle response.

Suspension components to think of would be:
- Coilovers
- Camber adjusters
- Strut braces (front upper, rear upper and rear lower)
- Poly bushes
- Anti-roll bars

How's that sound to you mate?

thanks for that, thats really what im after just more response coz its already pretty quick as it is, ive got adjustible suspension and all 3 of those strut braces it seems to really stick to the road, ive also heard mixed reviews about the vtec controller i dont know how true they are but some people seem to think that bringing in the vtec lower does more harm to your engine vs power increases so im already in a half mind about that, i was also told that if you got the car tuned on the dyno with the vtec controller that it is all good? i would be looking at bringing it in around 4500rpm to give me a extra 1000 or so rpm with the awesumness tht is vtec haha, what is the best size exhaust for integras is it 2.5 all the way? thanks

thanks prince, i have done some more research and come up with a couple more ideas i would like to bounce off you guys and see how good they are, i have sourced 4-1 headers and a 2.5inch exauast system now because my car was imported to n.z before the emission rules changed i dont have to have a cat, so is it possible for me to remove my o2 sensor and run exhaust straight from headers or should i just go with a sports cat? what will be the better option?, also i have been looking at the apexi afc-neo which controls air/fuel ratio and also is a vtec controller it says it suits cars with vaf,maf or map sensors my itr has a maf so i can use this unit now my question is if i did the headers/exhaust change and got this unit then had it dyno tuned would that be any good? and is there anything else ive missed, and can i do all this on my standard ecu? thanks

As far as I know the Apexi setup will be not only compatable it should be car (model i.e. Type R) specific so no ECU issues. As far as the intake and/or exhaust just retain the O2 sensor and it shouldn't cause any ill effects becuse the system should self adjust. 2.5" is the ideal size for the exhaust as far as I can tell as it maintains just enough "restriction" to keep back pressure but frees up flow well enough.
As far as a cold air intake, if you stick with the idea that the further from the bay you go to get the air the cooler and thus better intake feed you'll get, you should be fine. So soething that runs up from the bumper ports woud be awesome. At that point however you'd need to worry about howmany bend your looking a to get there as they'll decrease flow.

Sticky tires, poly bushings, coilovers or at least adjustable shocks and a goo set of springs, and remember the upper braces are tightened so they push out on the towers NOT pull in and you should be good.

It's always fun to scream down the track like a maniac but it's more fun to do so when you can corner like the cars on rails and you know you can stop on a pin anytime you need to. So a shake-down and or upgrade of the break setup would be my next port-of-call after the above mentioned stuff.

Good luck in the build and here's hope for many fun track hours and/or many fun daily driving hours as well.

Last edited:
thanks for that, thats really what im after just more response coz its already pretty quick as it is, ive got adjustible suspension and all 3 of those strut braces it seems to really stick to the road, ive also heard mixed reviews about the vtec controller i dont know how true they are but some people seem to think that bringing in the vtec lower does more harm to your engine vs power increases so im already in a half mind about that, i was also told that if you got the car tuned on the dyno with the vtec controller that it is all good? i would be looking at bringing it in around 4500rpm to give me a extra 1000 or so rpm with the awesumness tht is vtec haha, what is the best size exhaust for integras is it 2.5 all the way? thanks

I personally wouldn't get a vtec controller as I don't know better than Honda. The exhaust diameter on a DC2 Type R should be around the 2 1/2 inch mark. Anymore and you'll get too much back pressure and you'll actually lose power.

thanks prince, i have done some more research and come up with a couple more ideas i would like to bounce off you guys and see how good they are, i have sourced 4-1 headers and a 2.5inch exauast system now because my car was imported to n.z before the emission rules changed i dont have to have a cat, so is it possible for me to remove my o2 sensor and run exhaust straight from headers or should i just go with a sports cat? what will be the better option?, also i have been looking at the apexi afc-neo which controls air/fuel ratio and also is a vtec controller it says it suits cars with vaf,maf or map sensors my itr has a maf so i can use this unit now my question is if i did the headers/exhaust change and got this unit then had it dyno tuned would that be any good? and is there anything else ive missed, and can i do all this on my standard ecu? thanks

If you don't have to have a cat then get yourself a de-cat to match the exhaust. The o2 sensor should be fine where it is. You'll soon find out as your dash will gain an extra light. Everything that has been mentioned can be done on the standard ECU.

I think you need to forget about a dyno-tune for now. Not at this stage. Adding an exhaust, de-cat and manifold doesn't warrant it. When you are finished adding power mods, then look towards a dyno session.

Get used to the car before going crazy though. Brake upgrades are also a good idea.

ok that sounds alrite but wouldnt having a de-cat make the o2 sensor go haywire and therefore make the car perform strange/wrong? y i say this is that ive always thought the o2 sensor measured your levels of oxygen in exhaust and your ecu made corections to your air/feul ratio based on this or am i way off?

ok awesome, i have just been on the phone with ministry of transport to make sure i read the act correct and i was right i dont have to have a cat however i do have to follow the emissions rule to deal with smoke, so would having no cat produce more smoke out the exhaust? and if so is it excessive, or are the cars that smoke hard just old knackerd ones?

ok awesome, i have just been on the phone with ministry of transport to make sure i read the act correct and i was right i dont have to have a cat however i do have to follow the emissions rule to deal with smoke, so would having no cat produce more smoke out the exhaust? and if so is it excessive, or are the cars that smoke hard just old knackerd ones?

If you have to follow the emissions rule then the cat won't stick to this. However, unless it smokes like a chimney nobody will be none-the-wiser. The cat is there to deal with emissions, without it your emissions will be higher. In the UK this is regulated through MOTs. Is there any such test over there?

sorry i didnt explain myself proply, only cars first registerd in new zealand in 2006 or after have to worry about their emissions, cars earlier dont have to have cats however they are subject to the smoke test which is they are not allowed to blow visible smoke for 10seconds or more at any 1 time, thats where i got the question would my car smoke if i didnt have the cat or does the cat just get rid of harmful invisible emisions?

If memory serves, the O2 sensor in the exhaust is pre-cat anyway is it not? I'm state-side so we don't get the Type R's but the headers on most of the motors I've swapped have all had the a bung for the O2 on them.

It sounds like you've got things well in hand so far with your general knowledge and current parts lists (both on the car and things to get next). I think some pics say, perhaps a before or when you got the car pic and maybe some after mods pics as you go. Oh or a build thread (with pics of course). LOL

yep i will get some before pics up as soon as i can, im really looking forward to seeing this project through coz i feel ive already got a great platform to begin with and my philosophy in life is do it once do it right so i really apreciate all the advice i can get just like i said im new to all this as most of my cars have just been hacks that were just run until they died or i got sick of them haha

does anyone know how i can post pics on this site? and also was thinking about using polycarbonate for my airbox has anyone tried this if so how did it go and what thickness polycarbonate did you use and do you also have to add extra heat protection to the polycarbonate or will that be enough by itself? also i can only find clear polycarbonate does this matter or does it need to be say black or another colour to help keep heat out?

Last edited:
does anyone know how i can post pics on this site? and also was thinking about using polycarbonate for my airbox has anyone tried this if so how did it go and what thickness polycarbonate did you use and do you also have to add extra heat protection to the polycarbonate or will that be enough by itself? also i can only find clear polycarbonate does this matter or does it need to be say black or another colour to help keep heat out?

At the top of this page you will see the "Help" Tab, click on this then type in the Search Words box "Upload" all of the instructions are there.

thanks, it says im not aloud to post attachments to my messages does anyone know why not? do i have to do something to allow to put pics in with my replies? failing this i will have to make a album so i can put up all my before pics

this is my itr that ive been talking about, not the best pic as it come from my phone, will create a album soon so that i can put the complete pictures of engine and everything how it is now before i start then post upgrades as i do them

Attachments

• Pic_0104_002.jpg
    Pic_0104_002.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 25
TBH it's not my cup of tea but it was mine I would do the following:

- Lose the body kit. Get the OEM kit back on it as it looks much better.
- Ditch the chrome wheels. Get yourself something smaller in gold/white or black.
- Get a carbon fibre bonnet.

TBH it's not my cup of tea but it was mine I would do the following:

- Lose the body kit. Get the OEM kit back on it as it looks much better.
- Ditch the chrome wheels. Get yourself something smaller in gold/white or black.
- Get a carbon fibre bonnet.

Bit harsh but TBH thats so last year. Thats all you see on Jap cars round here it's getting really boring.
I like this because it's different and thats where it's at if you ask me.
I just like to be different.;):lol:

Bit harsh but TBH thats so last year. Thats all you see on Jap cars round here it's getting really boring.
I like this because it's different and thats where it's at if you ask me.
I just like to be different.;):lol:

It's not just a fashion thing IMO, the standard bodykit is better for aerodynamics and dropping down a size in rims means he can get more rubber onto the tarmac meaning he will put more power down.

But I do think it looks better. For all we know, bodykits may well be 'in' over there.

each to their own, i have the origanal white racing alloys which i use when going to the track just because theyre half the weight of the chromes and the origanal kit coz its not as low i just like it how it is for the looks, i have sourced a nice fibreglass bonnet with carbonfibre print now just gotta save the money for it and the headers and de-cat system, the best deal ive found so far is $2100nzd for the lot and thats including my coldair induction aswell

im going to custom one myself ive already a sinota pipe with podfilter on the end of it(the oem box was long gone before i got the car) so i figure enclose poddy and bring coldair into it from behind the front bumper/grills. the bonnet im looking at has got vents around near the engine so that will also help with dispersing the heat, i dont know but every honda ive had seems to throw off more heat than most cars i always put it down to them reving higher than the average car?

im going to custom one myself ive already a sinota pipe with podfilter on the end of it(the oem box was long gone before i got the car) so i figure enclose poddy and bring coldair into it from behind the front bumper/grills. the bonnet im looking at has got vents around near the engine so that will also help with dispersing the heat, i dont know but every honda ive had seems to throw off more heat than most cars i always put it down to them reving higher than the average car?

I personally haven't ever noticed Hondas giving off more heat but having to work harder would be the logical answer.

How much is the custom CAI costing you?

$40 for all the piping and for the box it depends what material i end up using, im still trying to work out what will be best for keeping the heat out, most air intakes from the shop are upwards of $300 so im looking if i can do it all for under 200 will be very happy

$40 for all the piping and for the box it depends what material i end up using, im still trying to work out what will be best for keeping the heat out, most air intakes from the shop are upwards of $300 so im looking if i can do it all for under 200 will be very happy

There is usually a reason they are expensive though. It was me I'd get an AEM v2.

But if you can get the same gains from a custom set up then fair play!

I have spoken to a fair fe people and thet all suggest breathing moda. The stock airbox if fine as is and sometimes getting a new one just isnt worth it. Go 4-2-1 headers and a highflow system done wonders for my car :) i am also going K-pro on the stock engine and apparently thats the best bang for your buck going these days.