Taking the R36 to SantaPod this weekend...

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
I am going to take the R36 to SantaPod this weekend. Anybody care to guess what it'll run on the 1/4 mile ?

Closest guess wins.... absolutely nothing, bar the joy of being a winner ;)

R36_SantaPod_TimeSlip.jpg

1/4 mile clock doesn't start until you actually move. Reaction time is just there as 'information'. That said, I still crossed the line first anyway.

My quickest reaction was 0.7s - once I realised the delay launch control has, and worked out on which amber bulb to release it.

i want to do it in mine maybe this year or next might be next now as i need to get some bits sorted

but cant give it to much stick as i think the back axle is going on mine hope its not but have a feeling as lone as i get one good run i dont care as much

13.66 at 100mph....impressive for a fully loaded weighty car! It is damn sexy though.

Cheers :)

I think next time I will put in 'towing' tyre pressures to lower the rolling resistance, see if I can inch another point out of it. There were no traction issues off the line as Launch Control pre-primes the Haldex clutch.

without some weight it could achieve like 11 seconds maybe.

Car comes in at 1690kg Kerb weight. I removed the spare tyre, but nothing else - so probably ran at 1665kg.

I'm really pleased tbh... its loaded with everything from heated seats all round to DVD player and still weighs less than my W8 which is 1975kg kerb weight.

... and you never know, it might do better once the engine has loosened up a bit. It's only got 3k on the clock atm! or that could be wishful thinking, who knows!

Either way, its a good excuse to go back ;)

I also forgot to congratulate 'Loz' as the winner with a very precise guesstimate of "12.9999999" - a mere 0.66200001 seconds out!!

308BHP stock ;)

Then after map couldn't run it in 4th anymore - too much power low down, was skipping the rollers and trying to climb off.

Had to run it in 5th, and by 5600rpm was producing 323BHP mapped. They swear there is more to be had, but at those 5th gear speeds on the rollers it was pushing luck with regards to tyres (acceleration on rollers generates a lot more strain/heat on tyres).

Looking at the curve from the print-out, it'd probably end around 330-335

Throttle response is massively better (being EPC throttle) and you can tell what they mean about the torque. It used to bring in the big surge of take-off power at ~ 2400rpm, whereas on the way home I was booting at at ~ 1700rpm and it was taking off at a similar pace.

Haven't really played much with the top-end as you can tell the map is bedding in again, it's a bit 'rough' in its delivery like the engine was new. By the time I got home it was smoothing out like the new engine did after a few hundred miles.

I'm taking my family to Yorkshire on Monday to collect a horse-lorry for my sister, so it'll get another good run out to bed in then :)

oh.. and also the 155MPH limiter has been removed ;)

Nice. I bet this has killed your MPG;)

Not at all. A better tuned car is a more economic car.

Been to Kent --> Yorkshire this morning, and currently half way back. Over the 350 miles travelled so far (currently sat in Costa on the M1) i have averaged 30.2mpg!!

Final figure over 550 miles - 30.5mpg ;)

Another interesting bit of info...

"Storm engineering have taken an R36 engine apart and noticed the cylinder head had bigger valves than the regular 3.6 V6 and managed 40BHP with a map. Normally n/a engines don't do much with maps so even here this proves the R36 engine in detuned and has plenty of potential. Wonder if anyone does any cams yet!"