Banned within 2 years of passing your test

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you were banned within 2 years of passing your test you MUST resit your driving test.

Licences are not actually revoked and courts have been returning licences to drivers. Many assume they can drive and don't bother to resit a test.

This means that there are a lot of unlicenced and therefore uninsured drivers on our roads and many are blissfully unaware of their situation!

depends if you're driving on a abandones street for having fun, or in a public road.
and it depends on the driver, there are people that have licences and drive like idiots, while some that don't drive carefully.
however, no one should go and drive without a licence.

If the court returns the license and the card and paper says its valid, then surely you have a valid driving license and can drive on the road (assuming you are insured etc). If I was told I was banned and got my license back intact saying I was OK to drive I wouldn't question it, as I would have the best defence in the world.

The court says you can't drive, however the laws of the land say you can. There fault.

I know a chap at work who only recently passed his test & was banned for 12 months for driving his mates car uninsured (he thought his policy covered him, it didn't) he's only just had his license back & I'm sure he didn't re-take the test. I'll have a word with next time I see him. It'll proably make his day when he finds out! :lol:

If the court returns the license and the card and paper says its valid, then surely you have a valid driving license and can drive on the road (assuming you are insured etc). If I was told I was banned and got my license back intact saying I was OK to drive I wouldn't question it, as I would have the best defence in the world.

The court says you can't drive, however the laws of the land say you can. There fault.

That's the mad thing. Holding a licence that says you can drive is not enough you need to comply with the various other requirements.

My Licence says I can drive a minibus but I would in reality need to take a PSV licence if I did so.

The worrying thing is that these people are all driving around thinking they are insured and if they are not properly licenced the insurance is invalid. It really is a big problem.

I think we all know 1 or 2 people who have not retaken their test.

When I got banned for 18 months I didn't do another test and was told by the DVLA that I wouldn't need to as well. If you need to resit a test then the DVLA won't issue a licence. And if they do it would say revoked in the middle.

This only applies to recent licence holders within 2 years of passing and I think the law came in fairly recently - certainly within the last 2 years.

Ok mine was ages ago now. I only enquired about it myself because I thought everyone had to sit the test again if the ban is over a certain period. But I was ok anyways.:bigsmile:

I think the police decide or the nature of the ban decides whether or not you need to resit a test in order to have a license.

I think the police decide or the nature of the ban decides whether or not you need to resit a test in order to have a license.

Being banned has nothing to do with the police only the fact that they may have caught you doing something wrong. After that it's up to the CPS to decide what they will punish you for. Yes if it is a serious offence that you get banned for will have an effect on whether you need to take the test again but also the length of ban determines this as well.

That's the mad thing. Holding a licence that says you can drive is not enough you need to comply with the various other requirements.

My Licence says I can drive a minibus but I would in reality need to take a PSV licence if I did so.

The worrying thing is that these people are all driving around thinking they are insured and if they are not properly licenced the insurance is invalid. It really is a big problem.

I think we all know 1 or 2 people who have not retaken their test.

You can drive a minibus (as can any UK car license holder) as long as the passengers are not paying ones, by which I mean the money is collected onboard or at the roadside.

You can drive a minibus (as can any UK car license holder) as long as the passengers are not paying ones, by which I mean the money is collected onboard or at the roadside.

The good old "not for hire or reward" clause (means that you can't be paid for driving the minibus either) - basically so you can drive as a volunteer for Charitable/Not For Profit organisations (Scouts, Womans Institute etc).

I didn't realise that loophole was there:D. What about if the 8 people covered the cost of the fuel and vehicle hire between them? (IE: A non profit arrangement?)

I didn't realise that loophole was there:D. What about if the 8 people covered the cost of the fuel and vehicle hire between them? (IE: A non profit arrangement?)

If it's 'not-for-profit' then you are driving totally legally.

Covering or sharing costs does not constitute profit, therefore it's covered by 'social. domestic and pleasure'.

Once you are in profit the usage constitutes 'hire and reward' and such circumstances are totally different. For driver licensing you don't need to do anything but you will have to cover insurance wise the vehicle and yourself for that purpose.

Vehicles used as such will also be subject to far more prescriptive roadworthiness examinations. I understand that currently they have to be inspected quarterly, ie. 4 times each year.

sorry your wrong there HDI only those of age that still had the D1 on their license could drive a minibus. newer drivers dont have the D1 on their license, wife has had here license 9 years and doesnt have it.

i used to be able to drive the minibuses for the cadets using a MOD permit but even this has been revoked in the last few years. i now need to go out and get D1 added - rough cost of £500.

Thankyou - my age is starting to show :-(

sorry your wrong there HDI only those of age that still had the D1 on their license could drive a minibus. newer drivers dont have the D1 on their license, wife has had here license 9 years and doesnt have it.

i used to be able to drive the minibuses for the cadets using a MOD permit but even this has been revoked in the last few years. i now need to go out and get D1 added - rough cost of £500.