Advantages of a small car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you see the main advantages of driving a really small car?

Do these outweigh the disadvantages?

What is the smallest car you would consider as a daily runaround and under what circumstances would you buy one?

I don't see any real advantage of driving a small car other than being killed instantly in a head on or smacked up the backside by a forty ton lorry, the smallest car I would buy would be BMW 5 series or the equivalent size purely on safety and of course comfort and power of a V8/V12.

Well I have allways had big cars normally with big engines but I have to say I drove my sisters little hatch, My mums micra and also owned a bottom of the range 205, the smaller cars put a smile on my face, there is something satisfying about ringing every last bhp and torque out of a little engine than just putting your foot down in a powerfull motor, the smaller engine is far more rewarding

Not a lot really. Modern small cars are pretty safe in a crash but surely still inferior to a large car of similar age.

The fuel economy is overblown and outweighed by the premium prices small cars attract on the used market.

Hate driving 99% of these small cars unless on a really short haul trip like to the shops and back even then I enjoy driving a large car.

As for the parking, if you cannot park a normal sized car then you should not be driving hence why I enjoyed learning in a 4dr saloon as it teaches you to park properly, you are going to loose money on a small car or have to sell it due to a family growth so there never going to be as practical or a good investment.

Hate driving 99% of these small cars unless on a really short haul trip like to the shops and back even then I enjoy driving a large car.

As for the parking, if you cannot park a normal sized car then you should not be driving hence why I enjoyed learning in a 4dr saloon as it teaches you to park properly, you are going to loose money on a small car or have to sell it due to a family growth so there never going to be as practical or a good investment.

Don't talk bollox. no matter how good a driver you are you arn't going to park a 16" car in a 12" space are you or are you better than the rest of us at parking?
My last small car cost me £100, i ran it for 18 months on free diesel so I think that would be a good investment, mind you my Merc SEC 500 was driven for 6 months and sold at a profit which covered the 6 months motoring but a $hit to park sometimes due to it's size but small cars could park in spaces I had to drive past.

Don't talk bo****. no matter how good a driver you are you arn't going to park a 16" car in a 12" space are you or are you better than the rest of us at parking?
My last small car cost me £100, i ran it for 18 months on free diesel so I think that would be a good investment, mind you my Merc SEC 500 was driven for 6 months and sold at a profit which covered the 6 months motoring but a $**t to park sometimes due to it's size but small cars could park in spaces I had to drive past.

Now I don't think there is any need to be talking like that to someone is there. Ok youmhave your opinion and so do other people but please give it in an orderly manner.

No probs, but because I can't park a 16" car in a 12" space that makes me and everyone else who can't do it bad drivers who shouldn't be driving.I think not and i found it offensive that someone does. just defending my corner, Sorry

well i have just bought a smaller car to run about in
well say smaller is a suzuki sj 4x4 thing will use it off road as well as everyday
will be easyer to find a space to park along the road plus will save me a load on petrol

I bet everything is smaller than a Trans am and cheaper to run than a 5.7L, ha ha. how about a honda beat or suzuki cappuchino, don't get much smaller than those, or a smart

Those Smart things are fantastic feats of engineering. I'm not sure I'd choose to own one but I'd quite like to borrow one for a few hours.

A friend who is a true petrol head baught a smart for his wife, told me it was fantastic, one of the best cars he'd owned....So I ask why a week later did he buy him self a brand new top of the range 7 series with full pimp kit.... Also a couple of years ago we were on the ferry to france for a driving holiday (I had a C class 230k at the time) Someone had a smart roadster with all his camping gear on board, it looked like a decent bit of fun, i'd meant to research them but never did. I know ppc did a feature on the roadster but that copy I don't have here,,,,

I bet everything is smaller than a Trans am and cheaper to run than a 5.7L, ha ha. how about a honda beat or suzuki cappuchino, don't get much smaller than those, or a smart

well ya most things are cheaper to run only got the jeep thing so i can play off road as well plus its only a 1000cc so is going to be cheap to use

we had a jeep grand cherokee 4.0, did 18mpg average, had it down to 3mpg in the mpgometer (pulling away) Luckily or unluckily it ran on LPG

NB: EZ64 and Aston - I realise you two have on this topic some very strong and diametrically opposed opinions which you are both entitled to hold! But this is fast becomming petty and a potential flame war which is not something that we are about on here so I have removed the posts.

Please accept this as a mild rebuke and avoid public squabbling! IMHO this appears to be a simple misunderstanding that is getting blown out of all proportion.

The thread seems to be more about the disadvantages of small cars, and you Misterholaman point out correctly some of the major plusses of small cars.

Smaller cars can go in and out of traffic a little bit easier and on highways they definitely have their advantages over slow moving trucks and SUV's when it comes to lane changing and all of that. But I like my 4Runner