911 Rivals

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What cars to you think are the best rival to the Porsche 911?

Do you see the 4 door GTR as a rival or does the fact is has 4 doors obviate this link.

What about the Corvette, the R8 and Merc SLR? If you were looking for a 911 which alternatives would you consider first?

The nissan GTR is the only sensible choice and is far far far beyond porsche.

BMW M3
Maserati V8
Ferrari 360

i don't think jap cars can be taken as rivals to the 911 cause they're not exotics.

Far far far more exotic than those and In my mind look about the same as the 355 was the last pretty exotic in my mind for a long old time.

It would have to be a car that makes you feel special. I've owned Preludes, Nissan SX's and ZX's, Lancia's but none of them made me feel special. My 944 is the only car to achieve this yet and I think it's the same with the established exotica like Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc they have something that makes you smile and enjoy your driving even if it's at 30mph to the shop and back. Japanese cars and some cars like BMW, Mercedes etc they may be technically brilliant but leave me cold. End of the day it's a personal sense of what a car does to us petrolheads which influences our choice of motoring Nirvana.

we need to be more exact which 911?
there's the carrera, the turbo, GT3, GT2, GT1, etc....
which one?
good point
the post says 911 rivals
TN im on about the 911 straight 6 3.2, the nsx has more or less the same spec engine, bar vtec

its a differant story when it comes to turbo, but even at that the nsx would keep up with their performance

its why im saying the nsx is a 911 rival:bigsmile:

No NSX would keep up with this bad boy.
turismo2.jpg

i love that car,its a petty were not black and actors called will and martin lol

but seriously TN
go on to the site templeofvtec.com
and pick nsx vs whatever you want

the true thing about templeofvtec is that none of the cars are tuned in any way
all factory standard

you dont understand how fast nsx are mate

What about the Porsche 911 twin turbo?

Porsche 911 twin turbo
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]450 bhp @ 5700 rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]457.0 ft lbs @ 4400 rpm [/FONT]
0-60=3.6 seconds.

The NSX
276.0 bhp
219.8 ft lbs
0-60=5.7 seconds.

Really there is no contest. After all the NSX is just a honda.

all porsche are is a vw beetle on steroids

twin turbo, nsx is N/A, but turbo an nsx and then we will see,just 1 will do

the post asked whats a 911 rival, im saying nsx because they are
you can come back with all you want mate, the end of subject

What about the Porsche 911 twin turbo?

Porsche 911 twin turbo
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]450 bhp @ 5700 rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]457.0 ft lbs @ 4400 rpm [/FONT]
0-60=3.6 seconds.

The NSX
276.0 bhp
219.8 ft lbs
0-60=5.7 seconds.

Really there is no contest. After all the NSX is just a honda.

SLOW, THE AEM CIVIC (A HONDA ) DOES 0 TO 207mph IN 6.7 SECS

Nissan, Honda, Ford all have or had have cars in production that beat those numbers from porsche. They are dentist's cars nothing more.

Nissan, Honda, Ford all have or had have cars in production that beat those numbers from porsche. They are dentist's cars nothing more.
i agree porshce is just a hyped up name, their fast yes but as you said tune a honda the way porsches are and its a differant ball game, so imagine the nsx, the fastest production car from honda

and yes a ford sierra cossie would piss on a porsche
yet another rival

i agree porshce is just a hyped up name, their fast yes but as you said tune a honda the way porsches are and its a differant ball game, so imagine the nsx, the fastest production car from honda

and yes a ford sierra cossie would piss on a porsche
yet another rival

But then it wouldn't be a factory Honda. If you can tune the Honda then the Porshce should be tuned as well.
Either way it would blow away the NSX. ;)
And yes i'm talking about the 911 in Bad Boys.

But then it wouldn't be a factory Honda. If you can tune the Honda then the Porshce should be tuned as well.
Either way it would blow away the NSX. ;)
And yes i'm talking about the 911 in Bad Boys.

I was never talking about modded cars I was talking about completly stock cars from each of those car makers have cars that the dentists car would fall behind.

I was never talking about modded cars I was talking about completly stock cars from each of those car makers have cars that the dentists car would fall behind.

I know you wasn't and I was replying to Prevtec.
But come on then which Ford can make the pace of a 911?
There is only the Ford Gt.

I'm with Prevtec on this one. The NSX was and still is a 911 'rival'. It was way ahead of it's time and very advanced in it's construction. Ayrton Senna developed it on the Nurburgring (where else!). Maclaren F1 designer Gordon Murray thought it good enough to own one and eventually use some of suspension technology in the F1 so it must have got some good points. I'm not a great Japanese car fan but I can remember the NSX being right up there on my wish list and still is if I ever win the lottery which if I did I would have a 911 aswell to go with my 944turbo se and then my life would be complete :bigsmile: (except for a Ferrari F355, Maserati Ghibli cup, Datsun 240z ....................etc, etc)

There's a good article on the NSX in the September issue of ClassicCars if anyone is interested.

Not sure the GT3's and modern 911's can still be compared to the NSX. Even the NSX replacement seems to fall short of the 911.

Yes 7 years down the line and today's 911s will probably outdrive the old NSX buuuut the 911 values are dropping still while the NSX values are rocketing. You could pick up an NSX for £20k few years ago, now they're pushing past £100k and climbing so I still stand by my old comment it's how a car makes you feel

Yes 7 years down the line and today's 911s will probably outdrive the old NSX buuuut the 911 values are dropping still while the NSX values are rocketing. You could pick up an NSX for £20k few years ago, now they're pushing past £100k and climbing so I still stand by my old comment it's how a car makes you feel

^^Exactly^^ This was always known as the right choices to make for a high performance ultra reliable car. You can blast the Nissan and 911 around the track and then go shopping at Sainsbury's in the morning. In a Ferrari for instance it was always rumoured that one good blast down the Autobahn or an a track meant that you were booking the car in for a service on the mobile phone on the way home while sitting down in the breakdown recovery vehicle, bless it's temperamental nature.

It should be mentioned that maybe you need to claify 911 since they have been making them since 1963 although probably the 911 really started in 1969 when they introduced the flat six 2.2 litre.
The classic ones called pre impact bumper go to 1974(ish) These are not fast compared to modern cars but are worth serious money . Mint ones start at around £50K up to into six figures for a 1973 lightweight (if you can find one)
After that you still have over 40 years of models so the difference is huge but although the performance got much better like a lot of cars the early ones are worth the most even though they are not better cars.
And pre 2000 there are not that many rivals to the 911 if you look at what was around at the time

the 911 996 is the cheapest ATM. however it has good performance and is a promising car for tuning that could beat most of it's JDM around. seen some go 9000 euros with 290hp and more. plus parts are easier to find comparing the JDM.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back