Signs of a bad driver

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There are a number of subtle things that tell us the standard of other drivers. There are also some blindingly obvious things which we won't go into here!

My top tells of a bad driver.
1) Distance - following too closely the car in front.
2) Sudden corrections of speed and direction when an obstacle was apparant for a while in advance.
3) Focussing on something in their own car (radio, mobile phone or passengers)

What little things trip your "bad driver alert system"?

it's pretty much an instant vibe of all of those things put together and more.

I get some sort of sense that a driver might be bad from the condition and sound of the car, if they dont have much interest in a car then they might not have much interest in driving.

i would add, "poor speed control" to the list, drivers that race up to your bumper in town , then go 30 mph along roads with a limit twice that after, this display is usually followed by some dangerous manouvering and other unwanted road behaviour.

I think those three are the big ones. You often see someone on the motorway doing exactly as you say Broken Cambelt^, speeding up to the person in front then you see brake lights :rolleyes: Either bad judgement or impatient. Either way it makes them a bad driver.

I hate to say this but experience does prove me correct - Elderly Drivers. The second I see evidence of this I really hang back and keep my distance.

99 times out of 100 there is a good reason why you should not be near a elderly driver, had one old dear a couple of months ago take a wrong turning and drove towards me down the wrong way on a dual carriage way, then she realised her mistake so she reversed yes reversed about 1/2 a mile back to the turning.

99 times out of 100 there is a good reason why you should not be near a elderly driver, had one old dear a couple of months ago take a wrong turning and drove towards me down the wrong way on a dual carriage way, then she realised her mistake so she reversed yes reversed about 1/2 a mile back to the turning.

I've had that with an old man on a dual carriageway. He turned onto it and came down the wrong side for about half a mile then realised and did a 3 point turn on a bend on said dual carriageway. :eek:

Not sure if they were eldery, but at least twice I've seen this on the A611 Newstead bypass, but only after they installed traffic lights at the Newstead junction (search for "53.056017,-1.229536" on Google maps to see the junction).

Best guess is that the central reservation causes confusion and they assumed it was a different road.

7th The ability to find a shoe shop in a little alley off the high street.
8th The ability to know what your children have done without having any circumstantial evidence.
9th Sense - the ability of a spoon to bend our physical world!

Nope - don't see how they apply.

Last edited:
Never trust a driver wearing a cap !!!, they are in their own little world or the time traveller wearing 1970's knuckless leather/suede gloves, give both these a wide berth....

You can see a bad driver a mile off.When you see someone braking on a straight road to knock 2mph off their speed,when all they have to do is remove their foot from the gas for a second.
icon8.gif

Also i think 'Broken Cambelt' touched on it when you see a crummy make and model or a car otherwise unfit to be called transport,you know their mind is not on the job,as how can you be good at something if you have no interest in it?

You can see a bad driver a mile off.When you see someone braking on a straight road to knock 2mph off their speed,when all they have to do is remove their foot from the gas for a second.
icon8.gif

It's also those numpties who brake on bends down hill and also those who brake all the way down a hill instead of just dropping a cog.

A good sign of a bad driver is when you sitting at a stop light and you get rear ended. That one is usually a sure sign of bad driving.

Or the person who looks like they just found out they won the lottery while having a normalconversation with the passenger.

The worst ones are boy racers who sit outside pubs, clubs or dwn the beach on a firday sat night, with their mates who wheel spin and rev the engines just to show off, However the best thing is the general public all have the same thought when looking at them and that is "wouldn't it be hilarious if his clutch went or if his engine died".
Also people who make an effort to overtake you then slow down infront of you!!!

Btw i'm young and have an ST am i in that boy racer class!!

The worst ones are boy racers who sit outside pubs, clubs or dwn the beach on a firday sat night, with their mates who wheel spin and rev the engines just to show off, However the best thing is the general public all have the same thought when looking at them and that is "wouldn't it be hilarious if his clutch went or if his engine died".
Also people who make an effort to overtake you then slow down infront of you!!!

Btw i'm young and have an ST am i in that boy racer class!!

the sad case is not all boy racers are boys a mate of mine whos 33 still does this type of thing :(
in fact he is going to a cruise on sunday night and when he asked me if i wanted to go down i just laughed at him