Best diesel engine Jag or BMW

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Who make the best diesel engine then? I think the contenders are Jaguar and BMW but feel free to add any other worthy contenders.

How should we rate these engines? Power to economy? Peak power? Real world performance in the car?

Haven't driven Jaguar's latest one - I have tried the 2.7 V6 HDi and that's silky smooth, probably better than BMW's 530d.

535d is immensely tunable. Have not driven one.

Jag's latest 3.0 effort is supposedly very impressive. I haven't driven that either so I'm sorry but cannot comment.

On Paper I think Jaguar has it but as you say it takes a real world drive to determine this.

The BMW would probably get my vote for being a straight 6 over a V6. An inline 6 is natively balanced by design and geometry.

If I were buying an XF, however, it would be the 5 litre V8 with supercharging.

The only competitor for refinement is possibly the Lexus LS series. Although I understand that the power and performance is nowhere near that of the XF.

All wrong, has to be the JCB 444 diesel engine, which powered the dieselmax to 350.092mph. Jag and BMW can't make even half of this and how about the Audi R10 Diesel which won Le Mans or the HDi V12 700bhp 885lb-ft diesel from Peugeot which beat Audi and won Le Mans this year

The true crown has to go to the Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine, The most powerfull diesel engine in the world with 108,920 hp at 102 rpm and a mind blowing 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm... Check this baby out here; http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

BMW and Jag, nothing on these babes.

what point is there in clear view indicators and all that crap, save your money and get one of these

Attachments

• rta96c_crank.jpg
    rta96c_crank.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember looking at this a few years back. It's one heck of an engine.

DO you remember the BR Class 55 Deltics with a pair of engines, each consisting of 18 cylinders with 36 pistons operating in each. Two stroke madness at its best.

All wrong, has to be the JCB 444 diesel engine, which powered the dieselmax to 350.092mph. Jag and BMW can't make even half of this and how about the Audi R10 Diesel which won Le Mans or the HDi V12 700bhp 885lb-ft diesel from Peugeot which beat Audi and won Le Mans this year

The true crown has to go to the Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine, The most powerfull diesel engine in the world with 108,920 hp at 102 rpm and a mind blowing 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm... Check this baby out here; http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

BMW and Jag, nothing on these babes.

what point is there in clear view indicators and all that crap, save your money and get one of these

One impressive thing is the efficiency for it's size. Now if that could be miniturized and put into a car it would be great!

When I first saw it I couldn't see the point of such a large engine but it all make sense when you put it into a ship.

That monster boat engine is far more efficient in the fuel to work done ratio than ANY car engine. That's the point Waynne is making.

Imagine a 1.3 litre car engine that could delivered 230bhp and 400lbft of torque whilst also averaging 70mpg. That's the order of magnitude of its efficiency.

Diesel will always win over petrol inthe energy per litre simply on calorific value if measured by volume. Simply because there's more energy in a litre of diesel than there is in a litre of petrol.

HOWEVER, let's say that fuel was sold by mass (say in kg). Petrol is less dense than diesel so a Kg of petrol is light than a Kg of diesel.

This might make a complete change to the supposed fuel economy of diesel.

Some of the best diesel engines are made in India- from single cylinder auto rickshaw engines to multi cylinder car, SUV and truck engines, Major manufacturers of automobile Diesel engines are Tata,Mahindra, Leyland, Fiat, Piaggio, Bajaj, Sonalika,Eicher,Mitsubishi,Hyundai,Ford,Chevrolet,Toyota,Perkins,Caterpillar,Nissan, Kamov,VW,Izuzu,Hino,Iveco,etc etc, and there are hundreds of small manufacturers of clones of Lister and Petter type engines.