Yahoo Best 1st Cars.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Hi all,

Now I don't know if it is me thinking that Yahoo know nothing (and I thought this before), but I just read there top 5 list for the best starter cars. They are as below:

1) Citroen Saxo
2) Ford Ka
3) Austin Mini
4) Fiat Panda
5) BMW 3 Series

Now I don't know if it's me but I'm sure you won't get insured on the BMW just after you have passed your test, and if you do then it will be so expensive it wouldnt be worth it.

Let me know what you all think :)

Hi all,

Now I don't know if it is me thinking that Yahoo know nothing (and I thought this before), but I just read there top 5 list for the best starter cars. They are as below:

1) Citroen Saxo
2) Ford Ka
3) Austin Mini
4) Fiat Panda
5) BMW 3 Series

Now I don't know if it's me but I'm sure you won't get insured on the BMW just after you have passed your test, and if you do then it will be so expensive it wouldnt be worth it.

Let me know what you all think :)

tbh i think this is a acceptable choice of first cars each has an appeal to first time drivers
a few reasons for my previous sentence

they are all cheap to buy, handle well, common so new and second hand parts are widely available, easy to style (maybe not the panda), easy to work on

I thought that the BMW would be too expensive though?

tbh i cant really comment on that
but as a first car it offers all the above + alot of young lads now are after rear end out action e.g. they want to do doughnuts on mcdonalds car park and i suppose a 316 is a cheap option for this?

I really don't thing a BMW is a good first time car at all. Unless you happen to be an old first time driver! The maintenance costs are pretty high as well and lets face it, most first time drivers buy sheds so the bills would really mount up.

they are all cheap to buy, handle well, common so new and second hand parts are widely available, easy to style (maybe not the panda), easy to work on

I'm sure they're talking about the new Panda, but the old one was easy to style!

Attachments

• panda.jpg
    panda.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
Odd list, BMW is not ideal due to running costs and non-functioning indicators and a liking for changing lanes very quickly!

Austin Mini, as much as I like to see this in the list, are they really that cheap to buy these days? I bought a 25 for my daughter and had to sell it, I was gutted as I did not want to part with it but the lack of power steering was too much for her ickle arms. Now she regrets asking me to change it!

Pug 106 and Citroen AX are a couple of others as too the Micra, but why the Panda? :blink:

Thats a terrible list....the saxo and KA are both terrible cars, and unreliable. I'm not being biased as i've owned a few cars and driven a LOT of cars, and japanese cars have to be the best choice for a first time driver. Easy to drive, reliable (wont be at the garage getting it fixed all the time) and nippy too, as well as being a bit rarer than the norm

The Ford Ka is actually a good handling car. As much as I dislike them they do go round corners well and are pretty nippy as well. Don't get me wrong they are not fast but they do get the job done.

im i right in thinking that maybe yahoo took into account insurance on these as well? ignore the 3 series, the rest are generally small engine and cheap insurance thus making them good 1st cars.

not sure on the mini however id class that more of a classic and therefore not a great choice for a new driver whos likely to put it through a hedge in the 1st year

I just didn't understand the reasoning for putting the BMW in there.

I did a compare the meerkat test on the Saxo and the 3 Series for a new driver.

Got £1626.56 for the Saxo so it is considerably cheaper then the BMW.

Would love the 3 Series as a first car though!

The link is http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/02062009/36/five-best-starter-cars-0.html so there is some reading material for you!

Last edited:
Cheap to buy and cheap to insure are the first considerations. Sadly most JAP cars do not fall into these categories.

Datsun 120Y - looks quite nice and should be cheap to insure though!