The 323i project with 2.8 engine transplant

Dear all,

I have just flogged my crappy little 206 GTI in favour of a BMW 323i which I instantly love. I'll keep you posted with the mods and upgrades.
Pete :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BMW 323i Low speed problems

Good advice mate, I've only had it since Friday but I know it's supposed to be running much faster than it is. I drop it in for it's service tonight and pick it back up tomorrow night so i'll see if all's well by then. I just want to be able to feel likle i'm in a 2.5-litre straight six y'know? lol. Looks nice anyway, bonus 8)

I'd actually be quite intrigued to know what you think of it Waynne, being that your "the man" round here.

They are very nice cars, and generally quite reliable. Sometimes they can be a little wayward in the wet :D

The DOHC 2.5 is the better of the 2.5 engines and puts out around 190bhp. The gearing is usually quite long making them good for motorways, a short ratio box usually helps with acceleration (one option is to get a lower ratio 1,2 and 3rd gear leaving the top as it is for economy.)

The engines are very solid and can take quite a bit more power. Is yours a coupe? Got any pictures of it?

I have also previously purchased a m50 manifold before I had even read this fortunately (a friend of mine is German and a BMW maniac and said that the m50 manifold upgrade was the most common thing done to 1996+ 323 and 325 models)

I am going to be doing quite extensive performance upgrades to this car and will be starting my own thread in the appropriate section very soon, any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

I recently purchased a 1998 323i and am having pretty much the exact same problems.

The car itself is beautiful and also got itself a little makeover at factory with some of the M options (including the suspension YAY).

As above the problem with my car is that it seems a little sluggish when accelerating through the lower gears until it reaches a certain rev range (4 to 5 thou . . just as the above problem).

I am going to do all of the above which has been suggested and have also previously purchased a m50 manifold before I had even read this fortunately (a friend of mine is German and a BMW maniac and said that the m50 manifold upgrade was the most common thing done to 1996+ 323 and 325 models)

I am going to be doing quite extensive performance upgrades to this car and will be starting my own thread in the appropriate section very soon, any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Let me know how the mods go and what gains you get from each please mate. I need to keep on top of sorting mine out. Unfortunately it seems to have developed some form of squeal when releasing the clutch and depressing the accelerator. I've had a mechanic look at it and he can't find anything wrong with it. Any suggestions appreciated.

I found out that it was the flywheel squealing. Have since replaced flywheel, gearbox and engine for a 2.8. Ridiculously fast now! Love it!! No more waiting for power at the lower end! It pulls in every single gear! Amazing!

So what's next on your mod list? I just know you will get bored with all that power soon and want even more! :lol:

Did you do the engine swap yourself? Did it go in easily and how many other things needed to be changed to make it work?

I know mate. I've no idea what's next. Probably better brakes and new suspension. lol.

I didn't do the engine swap myself but i'm told it was fairly straight forward swap. Their difficulty was in removing it from the original car. lol. They had to cut the front end off! So that one's ready for the scrappers now!

2.5 wow whts the mpg must cost a lot 2run

Well it's a 2.8 now and yes it drinks like you wouldn't believe! Got about 180 miles out of £40's worth of Vpower! And that was going right down to the wire as well!

Such is life. The cost of speed my friend. lol :bigsmile: :lol:

The cost of speed and a heavy right food. I bet you could double that if you grannied it!;)

Yeah you're probably right. But why put a 2.8 litre engine in for the grunt and then granny it eh? Kind've defeats the object. lol. Four on the floor! :lol::bigsmile:

180 is oryt 4 a 2.8 scoobys suck a lot
my mates brothers gt a hummer H1 and its gt a 6ltr gves 7mpg

180 is oryt 4 a 2.8 scoobys suck a lot
my mates brothers gt a hummer H1 and its gt a 6ltr gves 7mpg

That's fairly understandable though. The Hummer H1 is a 6.5litre turbo diesel V8 and does weigh 3 and a half tons so it takes a lot to go and however hard you plant your foot your only going to get 3 and a half thousand revs out of it. Good for all terrain but no use speedwise. :p:)