Cavalier GSi; best exhaust

kieran macca

Tuner
Car
nope
i was wondrin what would be th best exhaust system for my cavvy GSi. i want an exhaust that will provide plenty of power gains and a very nice, loud sound. can anyone help me here?

If you want cheap then you can't really go wrong with a chrry bomb. You will have to make some custom mounts though but they sound fantastic. For performance you really need to get the entire exhaust sorted with stainless steel about 2-2.5 inches in bore.

Does the car have a catalyst? If so get a sports cat for it.

Are you keeping the GSi then?

what companies are best for exhausts? and would i have to get a custom built exhaust if i wanted the complete exhaust system?

yep im definitely keeping the gsi but il just have to wait a while before i can get it insured :( maybe a year or two so i can get the money.
itl be the 1.7td for now though. just need 2 find a decent one first.

Suspension upgrades and some wider alloy wheels will imrove the cornering no end. You could also fit an induction kit, Fuel pressure boost valve (like the FSE). IT would also be worth porting, polishing and gas flowing the head and then fitting some mild fast road cams.

ill probly get the suspension upgrades and alloys. how wide would you suggest for the alloys?

and how much would it cost for porting polishing and gas flowing the head?

and is it hard 2 fit the cams or would they b betr left for a garage to do?

and how much would it cost for porting polishing and gas flowing the head?

and is it hard 2 fit the cams or would they b betr left for a garage to do?

£700 minimum for a top notch job with before and after flow charts. Flow charts ARE easily manipulated before anyone says anything, but that's where reputation comes into play.

As for fitting the cams, for someone who thinks chopping springs is a good idea, impossible probably.

did u jus reply 2 dat so u could try and annoy me? i know cuttin springs is stupid but u dont seem 2 realise i was sayin dat it would b gud crac 2 do it.
il ask this again. is it possible for someone to change the cams by themselves or would a garage have to do it?

It is entirely possible to change cams by yourself. Although I wouldn't recommend it if you have little experience with mechanics. It involves timing up the DOHC engine, and that could be very expensive if you get it even slightly wrong. Not sure if these are hydraulic tappets or what?

As for fitting the cams, for someone who thinks chopping springs is a good idea, impossible probably.

I have to say I think that statement is a bit harsh. The guy asked for an opinion not sarcasm. We are here to help each other not take the P**s.

Fitting cams can be done by just about anyone but I would recommend having them set up by a pro.
For the exhaust i'd look towards Janspeed, Peco or Devil.

well with an old vaux engine you cant go wrong with a scorpion i had 1 on my old mk3 astra gsi manifold back with decat sounded quite nice :bigsmile:
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/[U...erb2578/red astra/th_MOV00040.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
red%20astra

I have to say I think that statement is a bit harsh. The guy asked for an opinion not sarcasm. We are here to help each other not take the P**s.

Fitting cams can be done by just about anyone but I would recommend having them set up by a pro.

I'd rather make sure people don't harm themselves or other by giving out unsafe advice, but each to their own.

And cams don't need any "setting up" besides running in.

I'd rather make sure people don't harm themselves or other by giving out unsafe advice, but each to their own.

And cams don't need any "setting up" besides running in.

What was meant was to get the timing right it should be left to someone with more knowledge. You can't just bolt them on and hope they will work was the point I was making.
And all you had to do is give some friendly advise not lay into him in another completely different thread.

Last edited:
What was meant was to get the timing right it should be left to someone with more knowledge. You can't just bolt them on and hope they will work was the point I was making.

So you're advising against DIY fitting? I'm sure I already did just that. Shush.

Any garage would probably be able to fit your cams for you, but check they know about running them in, as most wear on the cam is done during the initial start-up of the engine after fitting.

So you're advising against DIY fitting? I'm sure I already did just that. Shush.

Any garage would probably be able to fit your cams for you, but check they know about running them in, as most wear on the cam is done during the initial start-up of the engine after fitting.

No I don't want to shush. ;)

hi
i 've had 3 16v gte's and 4 cav gsi's and they have been some of the best cars i've driven for a while.best exhaust to run with in my opinion would be a scorpion with a decat pipe,a drop of 30-35mm with matching short rod shocks and poly bushses is perfect for the cav and gives it just the right balance.DONT fit an induction kit as the redtop hates them and run really poor and ususally stalls when running hot,you could just drill the airbox with a 10mm drill worked brill for me,tyre wise 17"s with a 205/45 or a 215,stick an flowed plenum on it,there is a company that will supply a set of stage 2/stage 3 with fitting instructions £380 or similar for the cams,i'll post it if i can find it but its best left to the pro's,1 tooth out and thats all she wrote!.hope thats helped you at bit

Last edited:
sadly no,i didnt want any reminders of what i was missing so i got rid of them.wish i kept them.project astra'vts320' soon to start

hoping to buy a mk3 astra at some point strip it and rebuild with an ????? engine and then take to the ring once finished

hoping to buy a mk3 astra at some point strip it and rebuild with an ????? engine and then take to the ring once finished

i like the mk3 so will watch out for this project :bigsmile:

just guessing here but is the engine a 2.3 or a 2.0 turbo by any chance

a bit of both,more than one less ans less of the other with a twist of nudge,nudge,wink,wink and a of 'bit of bloody hell'thrown between stage three cams and and homebrew remap just the simple stuff,lol