brakes on the 1.8t

matrix406

Torque Junkie
Car
pug 406
i'm thinkin of changin my brakes. grooved on front an the old fronts on the rears. i know i need carriers for it but not sure where to get them from.
is it worth doing it with the brake balance etc.

I think it would be well worth upgrading to something bigger like the golf VR6 brake disks and pads. The extra size will give a lot more feel. Stick with vented, grooved does not add much IMHO and can actually reduce wear time as they have been known to snap when they get hot and are worn.

If its an earlier model, pre 03, then it might have the 288mm front brake. these can be swapped for the later 312mm setup. the calipers themselves are the same its just the discs and caliper carriers that are different. however these need 16" alloys

Get some decent pads and you will really feel the benefit. Pagid are pretty good pads and work well from cold.

Visit the local breakers yard and see what bigger Audi,VW or Porsche disks fit your stud pattern.

Last edited:
if its 97 then chances are it will have the 288mm disc setup.
this can be changed up to the 312mm setup using the bigger discs and the calliper carriers from the post 03 cars, ones with the 312mm setup as standard.

when youve got the money these callipers can be updated to the boxster callipers as these also use the 312mm discs.

Why would you change from 288mm to 312mm? What enhancements does that do to they car if i may ask, excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. Braking becomes better only or are there any additional advantages such as cost on the long run? Thank you for answering this query. What about tires don't they contribute to braking too such as having summer vs. winter tires?

Why would you change from 288mm to 312mm? What enhancements does that do to they car if i may ask, excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. Braking becomes better only or are there any additional advantages such as cost on the long run? Thank you for answering this query. What about tires don't they contribute to braking too such as having summer vs. winter tires?

Changing from 288mm to 312mm will give a greater surface area for the pads to grip thus enhancing braking power.

Yup! What TN69 said. Biger surface area - more grip and better head dissipation. Tyres do play a part in braking as they prevent the wheels locking up but in the main the work is all done by the friction pads and disks. (Cost is probably more for the better part but road safety is priceless!)

Great thanks for the info something to consider in the near future, very much appreciated, and yes road safety is priceless. Matrix a4, I would be interested to know the new feeling once you have the new brakes installed since I have the same car module and make.

if youve got alot of spare money after fitting the 312mm discs you can fit the porche 4 pot boxster calipers for alot more braking force.
cant comment on the 288 setup but the 312mm is enough to bring the car to a standstill very quickly. this is the setup used on the audi TT bigger varients are avalible from seat in the form of 4 pot brembos or twin pots from the R32 golf and TT

thanks for all that help people. i will let you know how i get on when i get it sorted. it nice to know that there are people who know things to keep the car world rolling. thanks all again.

Hey Matrix, is your email having trouble? I'm seeing a lot of mailbox full bounces - did you know?