At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
THIS THREAD IS A CONTINUATION OF THIS THREAD

not very much its more a case of stripping out the ashtray and making something the same size, looking at using stretched fleece to make the starting mould, then could use the CSM inside it and tissue on the outside for a smoother finish. a square meter would more than enough.

not sure what ill need for the parcel shelf, properly 4 meters, not sure if i even want to CF it now as itll stand out and im trying to keep it OEM looking.

Re: At Last!. I have started on my car ;)

not very much its more a case of stripping out the ashtray and making something the same size, looking at using stretched fleece to make the starting mould, then could use the CSM inside it and tissue on the outside for a smoother finish. a square meter would more than enough.

not sure what ill need for the parcel shelf, properly 4 meters, not sure if i even want to CF it now as itll stand out and im trying to keep it OEM looking.

Watching programmes like Overhaulin', the ICE guys stretch fabric over a frame, soak it in resin then finish with fine body filler, not a strand of FG in sight!

Have a look at this supplier.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fibreglass-Supplies-UK

I get my FG and resin here. Compare the prices with the stuff in the motor factors!

yeah thats the route i was thinking for the gauges but i dont believe that will give enough strength

funny you should mention them i just search on ebay for some.
motor factors are dear for some stuff that ive found in my local hardware shop, know the guy well as well so would rather buy from him but its the same stuff that halfords etc stock. might give the guys on ebay a go see what its like.

yeah thats the route i was thinking for the gauges but i dont believe that will give enough strength

funny you should mention them i just search on ebay for some.
motor factors are dear for some stuff that ive found in my local hardware shop, know the guy well as well so would rather buy from him but its the same stuff that halfords etc stock. might give the guys on ebay a go see what its like.

I find the 450g CSM a good compromise between strength and malleability

STOP PRESS! STOP PRESS! STOP PRESS! STOP PRESS! STOP PRESS!

Just worked out cost of the major items still to be bought (ECU, wheels, gauges, propshaft, windscreen, intercooler and other alloy bits, roll cage, carbon fibre doors and bonnet, etc etc) and frightened myself!

However, after a discussion with my wife, we have decided to increase the mortgage so that I can finish the car this year!

Very large :)

Intercooler core has just arrived from Australia. Next job is to offer it up to car so that the ends can be fabricated and I can then start the process of fitting a quart into a pint pot :).

Last edited:

core thats a big one. sorry been a long day and seems funny in my head.:embarrest:

what size it that ?

wow bet you cant wait to get this beast on the road! cant wait to see it all finished off

I am hoping to be out this season, even if that means the last RWYB at Santa Pod in November ;)

cool then mate.
I'm looking to make some 100-50 euros to get a wrecked car for a project.
with this economic crisis stuff are becoming more hard and hard to make them true.

lookns like u have had to do a lot of work and still i bet loads to do to get it to what u want it looks realy good so far so good luck with the rest of it

lookns like u have had to do a lot of work and still i bet loads to do to get it to what u want it looks realy good so far so good luck with the rest of it

Yeah, a fair amount still to do. I have taken this week off to sort out air intake tract and filter location. Also hope to fit radiator. New air compressor arrived last week so I have been plumbing that in today.

Air duct now made. Mocked up in car using twin walled plastic card and a hot glue gun, then covered in tape, releasing fluid and fibreglass. I have not wasted any time in producing a perfect finish as it will be covered with heat reflecting material. Inner surface has been smoothed in order to increase air flow and reduce turbulance.

Very Blue Peter but effective.

Fibreglass ends were positioned in required locations, then plastic strips were attached so as to make best use of the available space. Whole assembly was then removed from car, wrapped in tape, releasing fluid then FG.

Mocked up intercooler ends today. Off to fabricator to get them made up. One more small step.

Work in progress:

I have been working on the turbo air intake over the last few days. Needed to fit 125mm dia duct to 70mm turbo inlet. By using large duct and a trumpet air volume can be increased.

Main body is fibreglass but the trumpt is in carbon fibre. I made a wooden pattern on a lathe then wrapped CF round it. Difficult part was hacking the pattern out of the middle of the trumpet :)

Needs a little more work to tidy it up but I am quire pleased with the end product. First attempt at carbon fibre.

Seats in position (driver's adjustable passenger's not) and first fit of dash. White box is dummy battery in probable location.

how hard would it be to build the hardtop but have is secure enough to have on when its being dragged and can be removed when your gan for a drive in it ?

I think you really need the hard top but I'm guessing you like the thought of a soft top. Can you compromise with a canvas sunshine roof in a hard top frame?

Just think of all the sunburn you'll get on your bald spot ;)

Long time since last update

Photo shows latest aquisitions:
Adaptor to fit clutch release bearing to gearbox from Retro Ford -
http://retroford.co.uk/

Turbo blanket, wrap and fuel pressure regulator from the States. Had to pay shipping, import duty and VAT but still a lot cheaper than buying here.

Headlamps and tail lamps from SVC -
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/index.html

Ordered propshaft from Retro Ford in Corby.
Ordered fuel lines and fittings
Fuel tank and fuel swirl pot have been made
Running out of things to buy. Almost reached the stage where I only have to bolt it all together :)

Last edited: