FreeLander Sport larger tyres?

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Hi All.

I have a FreeLander Sport Premium '04 TD4 Auto. Out of the factory its shipped with 18" Alloys wearing 235/50/18 tyres. The tyres I want to fit to it only come in 235/55/18 - which is a real pain.

Other than the obvious rolling radius change throwing the speedo out.. can anybody see any reasons why fitting 55 profile tyres would be a bad idea?

Cheers,

Not really its not that big a difference. The suspension will be very slightly out of alignment but I would guess this is still well within tolerances. If you were fussy you could get them to do a full wheel alignment for you.

(Don't forget the spare as well though if you buy a set, and will this fit in the spare wheel holder on the back;))

The other thing is that you will have lower road noise, more comfort and slightly softer handling.

Check the clearance and as long as its not been lowered you should be ok. Have a look in your handbook and you may well see the pressures for a number of different tyre sizes.

If in doubt check with the fitter before you get them and then if you weren't happy with them you could take them back.

Its not been 'lowered' by me... but of course the 'Sport' is lowered by 30mm from factory and comes wearing these 235/50/18 wheels and tyres.

Holder on the back door won't be a problem. Its not a holder of any sort. Simply 3 wheel bolts hold it to the door, so you could quite easily carry a truck tyre if the stud pattern was the same.

Its not been 'lowered' by me... but of course the 'Sport' is lowered by 30mm from factory and comes wearing these 235/50/18 wheels and tyres.

Holder on the back door won't be a problem. Its not a holder of any sort. Simply 3 wheel bolts hold it to the door, so you could quite easily carry a truck tyre if the stud pattern was the same.

i suggest you check the clearance around the tyre in the wheel arch remember when you brake weight transfers to the front thus "lowering" temporarily the vehicle so the tyres could rub in the wheel arches.

as for mounting a truck tyre on the back i would be careful as you would probably leave the door behind when you pull away LOL.:lol: