caliper colour???

caliper colour???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
well when i fit my wheels the weekend i will be painting the calipers at the same time and i have narrowed it down to black or gold the car is black the calipers will be visible behind these wheels

just wandering which colour people would go for ??

I guess it depends if you want a stealth look or not. TBH black calipers will not be noticed or stand out at all wheras gold will. Why not red? Red and black always look nice together?

pink!!!!!!

i would say red, yellow or blue

red will look good and stand out, as will yellow, but yellow and blue are a bit different

i currently have black, gold, yellow, silver hamerite but the yellow is a real horrible colour and my local halfords didnt have any otherwise i would have gone yellow the silver would be pointless and im leaning more towards gold cause of the goldish edgeing arround the wheel
and thanks for the input :bigsmile:

ahhh ok then, i thought that was just light reflection, if there is gold pin striping then paint calipers gold

having the same delema myself got a black car and goona paint wheels black but cant decide red of yellow for callipers cos what eva colour i choose is goona be the same for hoses etc under the bonnet aswell

i would choose yellow. red will look good but a lot of people use red! have you thought about blue! blue will look really good in engine bay too!

hi herb, probably too late here mate but,
black car black wheels, there only 1 coulor for brake calipers:D

I think painting standard calipers looks cheap and nasty. It indicates to me that you would rather spend money on a flash set of wheels than decent brakes.

Instead of spending the time cleaning and painting the original cast iron ones, save up and buy a proper set of alloy calipers in the colour of your choice. Painted standard iron calipers are very Chav, in my view.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who doesn't like exposed calipers at the best of times :) Mine are black, along with the rest of the suspension.

I think painting standard calipers looks cheap and nasty. It indicates to me that you would rather spend money on a flash set of wheels than decent brakes.

Instead of spending the time cleaning and painting the original cast iron ones, save up and buy a proper set of alloy calipers in the colour of your choice. Painted standard iron calipers are very Chav, in my view.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who doesn't like exposed calipers at the best of times :) Mine are black, along with the rest of the suspension.

well me personally i think if the right colour is chosen it looks fine its only when i see the drums painted it starts to look chav imo
and tbh i have splashed out on the wheels but in all honesty my brakes are decent and are more than capable of handling the power i have !! its not like i have a 520bhp car to stop ;)

well me personally i think if the right colour is chosen it looks fine its only when i see the drums painted it starts to look chav imo
and tbh i have splashed out on the wheels but in all honesty my brakes are decent and are more than capable of handling the power i have !! its not like i have a 520bhp car to stop ;)

In that case, paint them black. It will look subtle, understated and stylish. Why highlight that you have standard brakes, even if they work well?

Sorry, but brightly painted cast iron calipers just look cheap and nasty to me.

so your saying that the painted calipers on a porsche or ferrari look nasty n chavy! i think as said above, if its the right colour it can look good! red is a bold statement and looks good on certain coloured cars n looks rough on others! and the reason why i havnt splashed out on a new set of performance brakes is because they are rediculas amounts of money! were not highlighting the fact we have standard brakes even if they are better than most people brakes! were trying to add character to our cars! trying to make them a bit different from other! instead of following along like sheep we like lots of others like to be a bit different and make our cars look nice! some do look bad n i understand what ur sayin, there is a green saxo near me, gold alloys and red calipers, n its bloody awful.

so your saying that the painted calipers on a porsche or ferrari look nasty n chavy! i think as said above, if its the right colour it can look good! red is a bold statement and looks good on certain coloured cars n looks rough on others! and the reason why i havnt splashed out on a new set of performance brakes is because they are rediculas amounts of money! were not highlighting the fact we have standard brakes even if they are better than most people brakes! were trying to add character to our cars! trying to make them a bit different from other! instead of following along like sheep we like lots of others like to be a bit different and make our cars look nice! some do look bad n i understand what ur sayin, there is a green saxo near me, gold alloys and red calipers, n its bloody awful.

Porsche and Ferrari fit Brembo or own make aluminium calipers, not cast iron rough finished Girling or Lockheed units -There is a hell of a difference. Also cars modified with aftermarket Hi-Spec, Wilwood, Brembo, etc calipers can look good.

Trying to make your car different is fine and if you like painted iron calipers that is your choice. However, I don't have to like it! It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess :)

Some of the calipers I have seen look like the owner has not even bothered to brush off the crud and loose rust or even remove them from the car to paint them!

I suppose being rather long in the tooth and not living on minimum wage I am long past the stage of doing things on the cheap and nasty.

well if people can afford a £1000+ for brakes then do they should do it, if only i had the money to afford that then i would do that! but when you have a nice big set of alloys and all you can see is a crappy cast iron caliper. it aint very nice! n porsche brakes are very very similar to those in audi n vw n so on, its just the bigger, red n say porsche on em! if coloured calipers look tacky, then i dont see why people think coloured calipers on a high spec car dont look tack, its just the same, but they happen to be made out of better materials and say ferrari on em! i done mine personally because the previous owner had not taken care of the car and the caliper was covered in rust, i cleaned it all up and everything and it still looked really rusty n crappy n cheap, so i painted mine blue so it wern't to bold and that it goes with the car

well if people can afford a £1000+ for brakes then do they should do it, if only i had the money to afford that then i would do that! but when you have a nice big set of alloys and all you can see is a crappy cast iron caliper. it aint very nice! n porsche brakes are very very similar to those in audi n vw n so on, its just the bigger, red n say porsche on em! if coloured calipers look tacky, then i dont see why people think coloured calipers on a high spec car dont look tack, its just the same, but they happen to be made out of better materials and say ferrari on em! i done mine personally because the previous owner had not taken care of the car and the caliper was covered in rust, i cleaned it all up and everything and it still looked really rusty n crappy n cheap, so i painted mine blue so it wern't to bold and that it goes with the car

You don't need to spend thousands.

Painted calipers look just like what they are - painted standard calipers. Sorry, they just do nothing for me and look cheap. But if you like them, that is the most important thing, blow what anyone else thinks :)

In that case, paint them black. It will look subtle, understated and stylish. Why highlight that you have standard brakes, even if they work well?

Sorry, but brightly painted cast iron calipers just look cheap and nasty to me.
well i was thinking about the colour today and im definitely now going to do them black but will be getting a small gold cupra decal for them

I've always been happy to endorse large brakes front and rear so long as the pad material chosen is suitable for its intended use. Little point in having massive discs in a tiny car and race pads that barely get warm. Doesn't stop the car.

My car has the standard size discs all round (not the original ones, obviously - they're long worn out and have been replaced 2 -3 times) , which are, from memory 305mm front and 291mm at the back. I still prefer OEM pads for my mixed road usage (no track at all). OEM pads are of ATE manufacture and are much cheaper in an ATE box than in a Peugeot box.

Discs, same - ATE branded OEM parts.

I also have the brake fluid fully replaced every year (or whenever the next service is due once a year has passed since the last fluid change). That way there's little chance of water ingress or seal damage.

And my car stops beautifully, with very even and very progressive linear pedal pressure.

I am not over keen on the EBA system - if you're the kind of driver who regularly brakes late and suddenly after lifting the throttle pedal suddenly (even if not hard on the brakes) it can engage and bring the car to halt when all you intended to do was wipe off 20 mph very quickly. Incidentally, I'm not that kind of driver, but you get my drift.

The back set incorporates a drum/shoe arrangement for the parking (hand) brake. The discs are very pricey but they do last 50,000 miles plus on the rear, so can't really complain. The shoes never wear as they only used when stationary, and the pads also see 50k so not really a problem for me.

well i did do them black but forgot i had red stuff pads

so on the rear i painted the pad black

not best pic of this but i prefer it so the fronts will also be painted black
and the cupra stickers came today

but not sure about these now will try on 1 of the calipers to see what it looks like

no discs arnt supposed to be covered in rust, but as the cars proberly been off the road while hes been painting the other parts itll have been sitting unused

well i did try 1 of the cupra stickers and they looked naff so the calipers are just staying black now

and as for them staying on im not sure tbh waynne but if liked them me personally i would have lacquered over them

oh i didnt realise it was rust i have seen a disk with a stange effect before and though that maybe that was another metal like an alloy ?

It looks cool notwithstanding!!!...

Hey herb, i keep getting this feeling i know those car you so wish you own, do you mind telling me the make, model, specs.

It looks cool notwithstanding!!!...

Hey herb, i keep getting this feeling i know those car you so wish you own, do you mind telling me the make, model, specs.

the 1 on the left is a audi quattro and the 1 on the right is a swb quattro wich was tuned by a company called dialynx and they used the engine out of an s2 and iirc only 250 where made