saab anti roll bars

rab christie

Car
saab 93 convertible
Hi All
Can anyone advise me

I found an ad on ebay for a 93 anti roll bar converstion using the 93 diesel front anti roll bar to replace the petrols version as its stiffer they also advised doubling up at the rear by fitting 2 bars. Does anyone know if this is a worth while mod. I intend to fit a 6 point subframe brace soon but was going to fit both as the front of my 1999 93 convertible needs all the help I can give it

Regrds
Rab

Hi Rab and welcome to TorqueCars its good to have you on board.

Have you done any other suspension mods? I'm guessing you want to improve the handling and try to get rid of some of the cars oversteer.

Roll bars are good but only in the dry. In the wet they can dramatically cut your cornering speed. In Ayrshire this needs to be carefully considered as you get quite a bit of the wet stuff!;)

Are you using it in competitions or on track?

Your main problem is flexing in the body. Its an age old problem with cabriolets. The first mod I would do it fit a Strut Brace. It is also worth thinking about a roll cage but this can be quite intrusive.

Hi waynne
Thanks for the advice.

I thought the anti roll bar might help but as you say we do get a fair amout of rain around here so I probably wont bother.

I havn`t done any mods yet as Ive just decided I`m going to keep the car. I did think about trading it in for a newer Aero but decided just to spend a few quid on my current car instead.

I intend fitting a 6 point subframe brace as Ive read they really make a diference. I have looked around for a Strut brace but so far havnt been able to find one. the car is only used for normal road driving. It`s a non turbo`d 2.0 S so its not very quick but i still wnt to try and stiffen up the handling a bit.

I`m getting made redundant very soon and did think if I have to travel far to my next job I might just get a gas conversion done while I`m at it.:confused:
Regards
Rab

Hi Mate
I think the last quote I got was from a company called " OZONE " and it was only for £1200. I think that was the name I`ll have a look online and see if thats right

That anti roll bar conversion I was talking about was for sale on EBAY for £150 plus postage for 2 used anti roll bars.I found a breakers who will supply me the same bars for £50

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the gas conversion if you go for it. Good luck with the job.

You can get a 22mm thick rear anti-roll bar from partsforsaabs.com for about £120.If you fit this and a steering rack brace and clamp, about £100, it will totally transform the cars handling. I know the convertible does have a bit of scuttle shake as they call it, but they do look good. The 6 point brace is supposed to make a big difference to. I`m thinking of buying a Viggen convertible. It has too much power for its own good, but for some strange reason, for me that`s the attraction.

I was looking a a Viggan advertised in Auto Trader, I wasnt going to buy it, just salivate over the photos. It would need to handle a lot better than my Saab does. I can just imagine the horrors finding out what 235 bhp would do to to a bendy Saab Convertible.
I still havnt bought the subframe brace yet I suppose I should get round to it, just been made redundant so Ive got the time to fit it. I think the steering rack brace would work well too but cant get my head around paying £90 for somthing so basic
I`m sure I read that the 6 point subframe brace doesn`t fit the Viggen so better check it out if you decide to buy it

Hi Guys
I`ve just had some fabulous news..... My right front strut is broken "YA BEAUTY" now I have an excuse for a set of Koni adjustables with a 35mm lowerering spring kit.... cant wait:D

I ordered a 6 point subframe brace off Ebay On 22nd Jan and it still isnt here. The guy said it had been returned to him becaus of the snow but I think he`s at it. Probably just orders one in after some idiot(me) pays for it. and with me being redundant now I have loads of time to fit it:(

I also just made a mesh grill for the car. I`ve seen them on line at £85 but it only cost £8 for the mesh (again from ebay) It looks good, very sporty.

RAB

Rab, I`ve just had koni adjustables and abbottracing springs fitted to my 5dr 9-3 tid. I havn`t had time to give it a good test but it felt much better throughout cornering and over bumps, but just before I went to work tonight I adjusted the shockers up a bit (just over half way) but for round the town a bit too much - the rear suspension especially hard. The rear bumpstops act also as a top seat for the springs. Mine were horribly deteriorated so I priced new ones.......£47.50 each. As you can imagine a trip down to the local scrappy was next where I eventually found two really good ones on a V6 900, probably fitted not long before the car was scrapped. Oh they were £10. Elkparts are doing the stiffer rear anti-roll bars for £105. I`ll order one tomorrow..........

Hi
Im sitting here with my tail between my legs... I wimped out set of Koni adjustables £460 pair of after market struts £115 No contest cheapo struts win.:embarrest: well i have just been made redundant :confused:

And to really make my weekend i kerbed my alloys :eek:(
Rab

yeah there can be a hell of a difference in price between full kits and springs kits and struts.

if the alloy ist to badly scuffed you can get then repaired pretty cheaply at most bodyshops

I read about this in a magazine on a Peugeot or Renault not that long ago.

They took it out on a track to see the difference with an anti roll bar but it was very wet. With the anti roll bar fitted it lost traction/grip in the wet and was cornering more slowly.

The theory is that the outside wheel digs in deeper and does a better job of expelling the water but the anti roll bar reduces this digging in effect and evens it up across the back where the wheels are more prone to slide.

In the dry it was much much better with the roll bar.:D

HI All
My subframe brace eventually came yesterday. So this morning was spent lying under the car fitting it. it goes on quite easily. took it out a short run but couldn`t really test it out as my knackered strut isnt getting replaced until Tuesday, plus it is Scotland, so of course it was wet :confused:

After kerbing my alloys last Friday I spent Sunday with sandpaper of varying grits, half a tube of Autosol and a couple of coats of clear laquer.
It was quite scarey to start off with but after an hour or so of rubbing and finaly polishing it looked a whole lot better I can still see a couple of tiny scratches but if you didn`t know they were there you`d never see them.:D

Hi
I doubt my strut would have survived the pot holed cart tracks of Lockerbie. Its bad enough up here on our Ayrshire billiard table roads :lol:
Rab