Sports exhausts

what are you looking for
back box
cat back
or full system ?

they obviously get dearer the higher up you go, decent back box might cost you around £100, cat back around £300 full system id say around £650 using a sports cat and a little bit cheaper using a decat.
note that you will need to swap the cat back on for the mot unless the cars running spot on for emmissions even then you might struggle

Would there be much difference in throttle? Would the car use more petrol if I installed a backbox on its own?

there was on my 2ltr prelude felt much sharper and that was with everything part from the exhaust manifold changed.
car shouldnt use any more petrol really however you might find your self reving it more to here the exhaust so that of coure will use more

Pretty silly spending a few hundred more for that much hp
it is really, i just dont see the point, on a 1.4 anyway

bigger cars do gain a bit from full systems, the only reason is the engine is so big, and its restricted because of a piece shooter exhaust

turbos do benifit alot from full exhaust systems, did you ever notice a huge exhaust on a turbo, and its not that loud?? i dont know excatly why this is, but i presume its part of the turbo re-spooling the gases??

but on a 1.4 mate, a back box will do you, it will sound nice the way you want it to, and you wont spend 100s on getting about 4 bhp

thats my opinion on it anyway chris:D

Big bore exhausts are usually fitted as part of a comprehensive tuning package. None of the mods alone will do very much. But a bigger pipe and different rear section will look nice. It'll sound nice as well, if you like that sort of thing. Not for me, personally, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Ok thanks boys. Do you know any good places to get a good backbox? Please no one say Halfrauds lol. And can you get exhausts where you can adjust the volume.. I don't want it being too quiet but I don't want it being as loud as an F430.

No such thing as an adjustable one I'm afraid. The exhaust is there of necessity (ie. to get spent gas from the engine out into the atmosphere).

The set of compromises is always flow against noise.

Big bore exhausts are usually fitted as part of a comprehensive tuning package. None of the mods alone will do very much. But a bigger pipe and different rear section will look nice. It'll sound nice as well, if you like that sort of thing. Not for me, personally, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
your right, thats the things with mods, youll get 5 tops from each mod you do, but when their all together, its like it helps each thing out

i put it this way, an induction kit = 5 - 10
an exhaust 5
induction kit takes in more air, if you have a standard exhaust, it takes in more air than it gets rid of, you could lose bhp
but 2 of them together will bring bhp up, and make the car more responsive

its the same case buying iridium sparkplugs, useless unless you have ht leads

Will different backboxes have different volumes? I've noticed some cars have really loud ones some have reasonably calm ones. How do I know which are which when I look in a store?

You can get a full system tuned to your preference

And there are actually some 'tuneable' backboxes!

Made by either savage or Rage, I will find out for you ;)

Cool. I'll look in a few shops. Trying to get something like 2 tuneable 2 inch diameter tailpipes

Rage I think went out of business, but their universal backboxes are still available online. They did bright anodised blue and red ones so if you have a bright blue or red car, it'd look the nuts. That's what I think, anyway.

I had a Peco on my 205, it sounded mint, not too loud but did make a pleasant difference to the sound, like it made her purr like a sleepy tiger rather than wheeze like an 11 year old 1 litre, AND I could then get up hills in 4th, instead of having to change down into third (she only had 4 gears, bless her!!! :) happy dayz)

the "tunable" ones normally had an insert you could put in if you were after a more silent exhaust. rather than having a 5 or 6" pipe the insert knocked it down to a 2" one while still looking like a 6".

some of the bigger cars, aston martin and corvette use this method, have a butterfly valve in the main pipe with is controlled along with the throttle, in other words when you put the foot down it opens up fully to give the deep noise and while cruising its slightly closed to keep the soundsdown

hey chris
Could try local powerflow exhaust centre, had these on my last 2 cars,£200 to £300 for cat back system & lifetime guarantee as long as you keep the car.

£200 is a bit high. I checked Halfords and they had a backbox for my car but it was £280 and upwards! They do universal ones for as low as £70 though. Are universal ones really that bad? I can't find anywhere where I can get a good, but quite cheap backbox.
I can't try powerflow because they change the whole system. My insurance company won't let me modify my car unless I pay an extra few hundred.

Have you asked powerflow? im sure they might be wiling to make you a back box alone.

your insurance company will need to know even if the backbox is changed - they will use any reason to get out of paying

depends on your insurance company, some may allow it.
i know when i went to put on the civic it was going to be an extra £90 a year. like i say some will use any reason to get out of a payout so would also recommend that you tell them about gearknobs, pedals etc most wont bother with those things but its better to tell them

Gearnobs, pedals etc. can count as routine maintenance. You're not really modifying anything there.
I'm suprised you have to tell them about a backbox, it's not affecting the performance of the car

The reason you have to tell them, just the same as if you fit alloy rims in place of steel ones is that increases the stealability or thief appeal of the whole car.

thats exactly what it comes down to.
geaknobs and pedals for maintinence are fine as long as you replace them with OEM ones. anythng else is again changing the look o the car and therefore at a higher risk of being stolen

i have a 206 1.4
and have been looking at the peco backbox range.
i understand performance gains are almost non-existant with just a back box but i would like to improve the look of my exhaust and improve the sound.
could somebody tell me if there is any differnce between mild-steel and stainless steel back boxs. And also only being a 1.4 what is the recomended bore size as not to end up reducing power, but also to produce a decent enough sound. cheers

are you jsut looking for a back box alone ?
if so you will only need to match the bore of the centre pipe of get reducers welded to get it to fit.

mild and stainless - the mild will rust alot quicker/more than the stainless

thank you pgarner
the artical on exhausts on tourque cars said nothing more than 2 inch for a car below 1.6, the one i am looking at is 3 inch , is this a gonna cause me any negative performance issues, i am looking at a model specific/direct replacement back boxs, these shouldent need welding should they?

also does anybody know if the peco range for peugeots are any good?(sound wise)
cheers

couldnt comment on sound as never heard them and the pug 206s round here with exhausts usually have dustbins for a tailpipe.

if its model specific then it should just bolt on.

the article on the main page regarding bore size is to do with the bore through the whole exhaust and not the exit on the back box - although this can make a difference. just please dont go mental and have a 6", fart in a can, back box

haha no no it would look stupid on my reletivly standard pug

so the actual exit pipe on the back box can go beyond 2 inch, out of intrest what would you say is the limet for size?(on a 1.4)

not sure are you doing it yourself ? then a decent trolley jack and axle stands will be needed. most likely it will just be 2 bolts and pull the old one off.

get under the car the night before your wanting to do it and soak, ie absoulty drench, the nuts in wd40 overnight. again in the morning do the same before you jack the car up if possible. it should help loosen them off