Horrible rattle...any ideas?

C

Cloverleaf

Hello all. Sorry for such a long first post but I'm new to Honda's!

Today I aquired a 2.2 T reg prelude.

From what I've been told it hasn't been driven for about 1 and a half years. I went to pick it up - topped up the oil, jumped it off my other car and it started straight away. However, it had a really loud rattle - almost sounds like there's an additional lump on the camshaft hitting the cam cover as it spins (obviously there isn't but that's what I imagine it would sound like!).

I drove it 20 odd miles home and it drove OK (the engine didn't seem to catch as the revs dropped at junctions etc but I think this could be due to the battery being dead). VTEC all works etc. The noise got quieter when it warmed up but it's still there. It's only really present up to about 3k rpm - from then on the engine sounds sweet and smooth. Any ideas?? I'm going to look at it in the dylight tomorrow and begin the TLC and service! :confused:

Joe

Hello all. Sorry for such a long first post but I'm new to Honda's!

Today I aquired a 2.2 T reg prelude.

From what I've been told it hasn't been driven for about 1 and a half years. I went to pick it up - topped up the oil, jumped it off my other car and it started straight away. However, it had a really loud rattle - almost sounds like there's an additional lump on the camshaft hitting the cam cover as it spins (obviously there isn't but that's what I imagine it would sound like!).

I drove it 20 odd miles home and it drove OK (the engine didn't seem to catch as the revs dropped at junctions etc but I think this could be due to the battery being dead). VTEC all works etc. The noise got quieter when it warmed up but it's still there. It's only really present up to about 3k rpm - from then on the engine sounds sweet and smooth. Any ideas?? I'm going to look at it in the dylight tomorrow and begin the TLC and service! :confused:

Joe

Hi there mate an Welcome to Torque cars. I'm no expert on Vtecs but that sounds to me like it needs some new oil. My advise would be not to even start it until you have put fresh oil in and oil filter. Also remember to change the fuel filter....

welcome to tc mate

if the car has been parked up for that long, the worst thing you could have done is hit vtec, its like a new car = avoid full throttle = vtec

but T/n is right, the car needs a service, change plugs, leads, oil, air, fuel filters, and nice clean oil, use magnetec 10w40

your explaining that after 3k rpm, the car is smooth, throw in a bottle of injector cleaner to a full tank of go go juice = petrol, and go for a spin
avoid full throttle for 100 miles, after that hit vtec now and then, not all the time, and see what happenes

while your looking at it today, take some pics and a recording of this noise your on about, i might know better

Is it any better now? It might be tappet or spring wear causing the rattle. Are you using superunleaded or leaded?

Ideally for any engine that has sat dormant for a length of time should be fully serviced then primed. Primed meaning to disable the fuel pump/injector relays in order to spin the engine over so that the oil can get pumped around the oilways and up to pressure. Once it is up to pressure then you can re-enable it in readiness to fire up.

Get it flushed through, you could have a blocked oilway or hole causing dry running somewhere. The old oil has become caked to certain parts and is crud like. You may have to partially strip the top end to blow it through.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back