Where is the best place to learn drifting?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you know of any venues or clubs that will not treat a beginner like a moron. It would also be nice to get a drift licence so what options are available to me in the UK?

Ok Billyo - funny but the sad thing is that some young guys reading your post actually do try drifting in Supermarket car parks!

Until you get the hang of it the car behaves erratically and can be quite dangerous. Also drifting in any public place is illegal and will land you a driving without due car attention/ rekless driving/ carelss driving award on your licence and you risk having you car impounded.

Drifting is a skilled sport and is best left to the track. It's ok to have fun in a car but unless you can guarantee 100% control 100% of the time you should not take risks.

Last edited:
its guys like billio that give drifters a bad name
drifting is not a huligans sport like made out by the news papers and requires equil or more skill than an of the other motorsports so go find a glub or an ABANDONED air strip and play arround
keep it off the streets

I like to do it anywhere, i live not tofarfrom a track, i find it pretty useful,there, ifyou don't have a track, then try using car parks,which allow, you to drive there, i normally drift around lamp posts

Drifting in car parks is illegal under the recent amendments to the road traffic act. We cannot endorse any kind of rekless driving in a public place. You need to use a private area with the owners permission. Often farmers will give you a field for practice if you bung them a few quid! There are so many well supported tracks around with all the inbuilt safety features that using the roads is just irresponsible.

Re: Re Drifting

merc190cossie said:
But a supermarkets car park is private property and so is not part of the road and regulations act.

Didn't the road traffic act get amended to include any public place fairly recently? :shock: They can also get you on noise - or intention to cause distress - they do have to warn you but the next time you get to say goodbye to your car.

I know a local lad who just roared round town cruising in his 205 GTI with loud exhaust - he got a warning (he was NOT speeding) then his car got consficated from him :cry:

Getting a trackday or airstrip time via a club is probably your best option - it helps keep the cost down if there is 20 people sharing it!

Pleeeease people keep it off the streets.

It's all great and very impressive till you get nicked, or hurt someone or damage some property (then it's criminal damage - same law applies to private car parks...yup, Asda can slap you with a criminal damage charge for marking their tarmac. Trust me, been there, done that (wasn't Asda... was a cinema...).

Keep it to organised days, or buy your own land (if you do that, let me know...).

If you're happy to travel, there's plenty on.

oh guys you are so lucky so you can talk about a drifting club but here in syria we don't have a respectable car club so we can find a drift club :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

where are there drift clubs around in scotland. i know that knockhill in ayr has a track but im njot sure if they allow you to use it for drifting. what other options are there except car parks. bad idea using a beach by the way. serious damage to the engine if sand gets into any of your moving parts. grass tends to be slippy and therefore completely unrealistic.

DWYB (Drift what you brung) at Santa pod raceway. http://www.dwyb.co.uk/ . Set up extremely well for begginers and advanced drivers alike. Seperate course for begginers with helpful marshalls who will give you tips if you identify yourself as a noob.
Driftracing at Lydd kart track http://www.driftracing.co.uk/ . Technical track for more advanced drivers, great circuit.
Crail raceway in Scotland. Details on drift days there normally appear on TrampDrift.
Oulton park. Expensive begginers day on a purpose built low friction track on the grounds of the Oulton park circuit.
Javellin motorsport allow drifting at a couple of venues (Barkston Heath for sure)
Norfolk arena, Essex arena, both banger ovals that do drift days occasionally.
Driftuk (these are the people who do drift skool, drift practice and BDC licencing days)

There are more but I am bored of writing.
Proof beyond doubt that there is a drift day available for all, you just need to look harder. No excuses for drifting on the streets.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shows its taking off. Back in 2005 there were next to no places and now most counties boast a club or drift friendly track.

Lydd is a great little track, I went down to spectate a very well organised event last year and there was some stunning drifting going on.

As has been said Drifting should be kept ON TRACK.
if you cannot afford to go to a track then DONT DRIFT! simple as that.
sites such as trampdrift have shown that it is extremely cheap to drift, and as steerfromrear has pointed out there are plebty of venues across the country which run drift days.
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR STREET DRIFTING

Funnily enough, I got most of my practice at my local Go-Kart track lol. they 150cc, 200cc and 250cc karts. Great fun to learn and very safe aswell ;) Also could work out a bit cheaper lol

I think your best place to LEARN is in a lightly snow covered area (if available) or on a low or no populated dirt road your familiar with, do that until your comfortable with your car and then move up from there.

Although i can say that a track would be better, but not everyone has access to a track.

I think your best place to LEARN is in a lightly snow covered area (if available) or on a low or no populated dirt road your familiar with, do that until your comfortable with your car and then move up from there.

Although i can say that a track would be better, but not everyone has access to a track.

Sliding on ice or snow is completely different from drifting. It has already been said if you can't go to a track then don't drift. A car park that is empty of cars may still have pedestrians on it. People on their bikes or rollerskating or just some drunk people stumbling home from the pub. No matter how safe you think it is to drift in a car park IT ISN'T.. It's just down right dangerous and inconsiderate towards others.....

yes drifting in a pubic space is very dangerous not to mention illegal. I worked out an agreement with a local community center to use their huge parking lot in the rear for drifting. the only terms are that they cant be held responsible for loss or injury, we must claim/repair any damages to the lot (excluding tire marks =P) and to complete block off the parking lot so that poeple driving by cannot come in and join and so that bystanders are a safe distance from the cars should anything happen. thats where myself and a few buds practice our drifting.

yea guys ovahere we have no tracks....so u said no track-no drifting(not smt that will work for me haha)and is it legal to drift on a private land??i mean ill do it anyway but just curious...i know how hard it is to learn drifting but it is one skill that is MUST HAVE for me!!!!haha..when well learned and controled it looks really spectacural...

It's wierd, there are different rules in different countries. In the UK you can still technically be prosecuted for reckless driving on private land if the public have access to it!