Honda Engine Swaps

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Here is a list of all the best engines that can be used for a swap. I will try to cover brief spec and the pros and cons of the swap. Pictures are included but may not represent the engine exactly. All information is a result of my research. There will be conflicting information but I have done my best to get the most trusted information. Please enjoy! :bigsmile:

Any D Series
- Civic
- Most have around 109 BHP (highest is 130 BHP)
- Have potential (200 BHP)
- 103ft/lbs torque (not much less than a B16A)
- Non-VTEC
- Don't respond well to bolt ons
- Only way to get power is forced induction
- Enough if you aren't looking for high power figures

B16A
- Civic VTi
- 160 BHP
- 113ft/lbs torque (not much more than a D series)
- VTEC
- Inexpensive in comparison to other engines
- Good transmission

B16B
- Civic Type R (6th generation)
- 170 BHP
- 117ft/lbs torque
- VTEC
- Almost as expensive as a B18C5, but less power

B18B1
- Integra
- 142 BHP
- 127 ft/lbs torque
- Non-VTEC
- May as well get a B16A for a less
- Longest B series transmission

B18C1
- Integra
- 170 BHP
- 121 ft/lbs torque
- VTEC
- Huge potential
- Common swap (making the swap easier)
- Expensive as they are becoming rare

B18C5
- Integra Type R
- 195 BHP
- 134 ft/lbs torque
- VTEC
- Best (factory) tranmission on a B series
- Huge potential
- Best swap for a Civic (my opinion)
- Common swap
- Very expensive

H22
- Prelude/Accord
- 190/200 BHP (conflicting information)
- 156 ft/lbs torque
- VTEC
- Weighs more than a B series engine
- Very expensive
- Harder to install than a B or D series engine
- Less common swap (meaning less inforamation)

K20A
- Civic Type R (7th generation onwards)
- 212-227 BHP (depending on model)
- 149-158 ft/lbs torque (depending on model)
- I-VTEC
- 6 speed transmission
- Responds well to bolt ons
- Most have low mileage
- Incredibly expensive
- More difficult than a B or D series swap
- Limited information

Well there you have it. These are all the best and easiest swaps. If you have any questions or comments or are in need of advise please feel free to PM me.

Prince

Last edited:
I'm not feeling so sentimental about my stock D series any more!! ... However, before I go ahead with an engine transplant, I've been looking at the Honda Prelude 2.2 vti....... you can pick them up fairly cheap, there's a red one up the road from me for £900....
I can always stash the Civic up until I can afford to do something with it... Thanks for the Honda engine tutorial...

price how much is it for the k20 type r engine? also do know of anyone who would be able to put a turbo kit on the civic sport 06

No idea on price mate, you'll have to get in touch with some sourcing companies. At a guess I'd say somewhere between £1000-2000. You could also try Honda, but they will rip you off. As for fitting it all depends on where you live. Waynne will probably be able to recommend somewhere to fit a turbo. Send him a pm.

Hey,
I've got a 96 LS enine with a GSR motor, what is it that I can do to the engine to get it quicker? I have this in an HX Civic Coupe

Last edited by a moderator:
just like to add prince

when buying an dohc vtec engiene, how you definatly know its a jap engiene
is the sign on the rocker cover, its this

DOHC
vtec = english

dohc
VTEC = japaneese

jap vtecs are always more powerful than the english 1s
thats why theres a vti = english and a sir = jap import

VtEC is bigger than dohc in a jap import

so to whoever it concerns, dont be fooled by some fellas words
if buying a vtec youll probably pay the same for either 1 of these engiens
but some fellas could charge more for a sir model, so beware dudes

But the limiter can be taken off.
thats true, im taking mine out when i go to the nurmberg ring next year
but putting it straight back in when i come home

you can very easily blow the engiene without it
a few fellas over here blew their jap imports by removing it

You can blow any engine if you don't take care...see how it feels de-limited. You might want to keep it off when you get back.
to be honest mate, ive never taken a limiter out of a car
when its out, does it rev past its origanal redline???
somefellas say yes, and others say no

is there such thing that you can break the 180km limiter, but still retain the redline??
that would be perfect,

I'm not feeling so sentimental about my stock D series any more!! ... However, before I go ahead with an engine transplant, I've been looking at the Honda Prelude 2.2 vti....... you can pick them up fairly cheap, there's a red one up the road from me for £900....
I can always stash the Civic up until I can afford to do something with it... Thanks for the Honda engine tutorial...
im not saying this because i have 1, but their a great car
its insuranse and road tax that puts people off them

people tend to buy celicas instead, and to be honest, i can see why

over here a 2.0 litre car rd tax = 597 euros
2.2 litre car rd tax = 795 euros

thats a 100 euro for a .1

but i still prefer a prelude, the expieriance from the drive from 1 is brillant
plus i had alot of cars, and i get bored of them quiete easily, but i have this now nearly 2 years and noy once, have i got fed up fro it,
and the way its going, i never will

to be honest mate, ive never taken a limiter out of a car
when its out, does it rev past its origanal redline???
somefellas say yes, and others say no

is there such thing that you can break the 180km limiter, but still retain the redline??
that would be perfect,

In thoery the red line would be higher because the car will then have more power with no limiter so should also rev higher. I could be wrong, but if you shift at the normal time you do now, you will soon find out if the power band has altered.

I know im digging an old thread but just wanted to say that removing the speed limiter will not increase your red line nor make it any more likely to blow up.

If you convert the speedo to MPH then effectivly your moving the speed limiter to 180MPH instead of KPH so you can do it that way

I know im digging an old thread but just wanted to say that removing the speed limiter will not increase your red line nor make it any more likely to blow up.

If you convert the speedo to MPH then effectivly your moving the speed limiter to 180MPH instead of KPH so you can do it that way

Thanks for clearing that one up mate. :amuse:

A D series engine will not reach 300bhp n/a. Not even close mate. The only way to get power from a D series is to turbo it, but tbh it's better to swap in a bigger engine (B18, K20, H22A etc) and keep it nasp.

Unfortunately, the D series engine is not highly tunable. The only version with any degree of tunability is the version used in the ESi (5th gen). It's a SOHC vtec, but still only produces 120bhp.

The D series engine is a good engine, and will take a lot of abuse. But it is not the best option if you are serious about tuning your Honda.