Have you upgraded your brakes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What upgrades have you made to your cars brakes?

What are your plans for future upgrades to your cars braking system?

Yes, but for weight saving reasons only. The OEM calipers fitted to all four corners of the Elan gave more than enough braking performance.

I have gone from a single piston caliper (Factory OEM) setup to a 4 pot caliper and currently now running a 6 pot caliper system. The stopping power is very good as they have to stop a very heavy car, weight saving is not an option as I love my creature comforts.

I have replaced the stock 250mm front discs with 296mm's and the sliding single piston calipers with 4 pots along with braided lines and RBF600 fluid fitted a Willwood bias adjuster installed SPEED BLEEDERS all round removed the front dust covers and installed cold air ducting to the centre of the front discs.

The mods were engineered and a Blue mod plate fitted.

I would have gone for larger discs IF I had the 17's that are on the car now

I have tested them on the track @220k's and they didn't fade and had a firm pedal .

I have just reworked my braking system.

x2 new handbrake cables.
pair of new rear calipers and redstuff pads.
MTEC dimpled and grooved rear discs.
326mm vented front Brembo discs.
Brembo GT2 4 pot calipers and DS2500 pads.
HEL stainless lines all around.

Will be flushing the 5.1 out and going with a better fluid.

343mm ap racing discs and 6 pot calipers 34GTR vspec brakes on rear braided pipes (nismo) and ATE fluid

Good brakes are worthwhile .These will stop 1700kgs of stagea from 170mph without any fuss or fade vvvvvery quickly

Good tyres help as well (Toyo 888s)

My stock brakes are fine. They work perfectly well and I won't be increasing engine output all that much (maybe 15%) and the stock brakes will handle that. Brakes are expensive!

Nothing major on mine, still the same 314mm Aero size but swapped to Mtec discs, yellow stuff R pads, HEL lines & RBF600 fluid.

Stops fine, didn't break the bank and a massive improvement over standard! I cooked the brakes a day after the remap chasing down a M3 & stupidly quick CTR (CTR just slaughtered me!!!) Loadsa fun having no brakes for 3-400 meters!!! Brown trouser moment there!! Very very lucky!!!

It's going back in Thursday for a full service and fluid change, new pads, yellows up front again but giving bluestuff NDX on the rear a try out.

Once this JZW stage 5 tunes sorted (JZW stage 1 atm) I'll get saving for a 345mm set up off the vectra VXR or spend a bit more on the Maptun 4 pot kit. Can't see this current set up lasting long with the extra torque on tap, going from stg1 straight to 5 :)

I have gone from a single piston caliper (Factory OEM) setup to a 4 pot caliper and currently now running a 6 pot caliper system. The stopping power is very good as they have to stop a very heavy car, weight saving is not an option as I love my creature comforts.

How did you find the 4pots Os? I really should have gone for these from the off instead of buying all this audio gear!!

Gone from standard single pot with 280mm disks to 302mm disks then to 336mm disks with 4 pot Aston Martin calipers, and now on 380mm carbon ceramic brakes front and back. I don't think I'll need to upgrade the brakes again.
pic of 336mm disk next to a Carbon one.

I've kept the factory 6-pot callipers, but upgraded the discs to an AP racing disc which has much larger cooling vanes, is a two piece disc and saves 6kg of rotational/unsprung weight per disc over the OEM disc. Discs are the same size as OEM obviously (390mm) but are far better. I've also added some better pads by way of Ferodo DS2500 as well.

How did you find the 4pots Os? I really should have gone for these from the off instead of buying all this audio gear!!

The 4 pots were good Dave no complaints whatsoever, my problem was being at Neo's when the 6 pots arrived from MapTun for their track car - I'm so weak! :oops:

I have replaced the stock 250mm front discs with 296mm's and the sliding single piston calipers with 4 pots along with braided lines and RBF600 fluid fitted a Willwood bias adjuster installed SPEED BLEEDERS all round removed the front dust covers and installed cold air ducting to the centre of the front discs.

The mods were engineered and a Blue mod plate fitted.

I would have gone for larger discs IF I had the 17's that are on the car now

I have tested them on the track @220k's and they didn't fade and had a firm pedal .

250mm is tiny. The stock rotors on my Passat are 345mm up front. But it does weigh as much as a small house.

250mm is tiny. The stock rotors on my Passat are 345mm up front. But it does weigh as much as a small house.

But you need to take into account that my car is an 85 model with 14 inch wheels and was considered quite advanced at the time with vented discs all round. 13 & 14 inch wheels were the norm at the time and the space available to fit brakes was governed by the X"factor.

My car had the optional 15 in wheels at the time of the brake upgrade and the 294 mm discs and calipers have a few thou of clearance so that was the most brake that could possibly fit in the space available and work well at the track with repeated stops from 220kph:)

today's cars have larger wheels that allow fitting of bigger brakes|B

Last edited:
The 4 pots were good Dave no complaints whatsoever, my problem was being at Neo's when the 6 pots arrived from MapTun for their track car - I'm so weak! :oops:

your a sucka for shiny bits ;)

Mines in now getting the brakes done, just had a call saying the rear calipers seized so I'll be gi ring Charlie a call tomorrow for a new one then get it sorted next time I'm home. Always something!!

But you need to take into account that my car is an 85 model with 14 inch wheels and was considered quite advanced at the time with vented discs all round. 13 & 14 inch wheels were the norm at the time and the space available to fit brakes was governed by the X"factor.

My car had the optional 15 in wheels at the time of the brake upgrade and the 294 mm discs and calipers have a few thou of clearance so that was the most brake that could possibly fit in the space available and work well at the track with repeated stops from 220kph:)

today's cars have larger wheels that allow fitting of bigger brakes|B

Sorry - didn't know the age of car you were using. I'm old enough to remember 13" wheels. I had a 1985 Montego which had something like 256mm discs (solid) up front and the back was simple drum brakes. Again 14" rims.

No Worries |B
I always have a laugh when I see a car/SUV that has say 22 inch wheels and stock brakes as they look in proportion like the disc brakes on a pushbike :lol:

I also have a Willwood bias adjuster that I have adjusted to allow more pressure to the front brakes

No Worries |B
I always have a laugh when I see a car/SUV that has say 22 inch wheels and stock brakes as they look in proportion like the disc brakes on a pushbike :lol:

I see many small VWs with huge rims and tiny little rotors. Looks even sillier with drums at the back

What I think looks stupid, and I repeat STUPID, are the guys who add caliper covers too large for their calibers, And YOU can notice it with the 22-inchers.

I had upgraded the front calibers with EBC pads since they take about 80% of the braking force, With stock horsepower, thay are more than enough.

I'm not sure I'd consider EBC pads as an upgrade, my experience with them was dreadful. In fairness this was in 2004 so maybe things have improved since then.

I had greenstuff in the front of my Nissan Primera and all they did was smoke under the slightest provocation.

I'm not sure I'd consider EBC pads as an upgrade, my experience with them was dreadful. In fairness this was in 2004 so maybe things have improved since then.

I had greenstuff in the front of my Nissan Primera and all they did was smoke under the slightest provocation.

Yellow stuff are good ;)

The old yellow stuff pads were pretty dangerous though, they needed to be warmed right up to take any effect. The new (well few years old now) 'R' pads are miles better.....cheap too ;)

What upgrades have you made to your cars brakes?

What are your plans for future upgrades to your cars braking system?

I've done some changes to my braking system:
-Rear drums from a renault clio 1 williams, new shoes from ate and regulated the springs
-New ate typ200 racing brake fluids
-Cleaned and regulated the drum brake distributor
and I am going to regulate my brake calipers, fit some great pads(ebc or tarox) and new tarox super japan or g88 brake discs. But I have a question:
The OE brake discs are 12mm thick and I plan to increase the thickness to 20mm(renault 5 gt turbo dimension). Will I need to change my brake calipers or the new discs will be able to fit under my OE ones? I will upgrade my calipers anyway but don't have the budget to buy them along with the discs and pads. So should I wait till I collect the money or I can do these 2 changes separately?

I would say wait and do it together. Calipers can cope with different disc dimensions but you will be pushing it going to 20mm and risk dragging the pads on the discs

Recently upgraded from a small peugeot 208 1.2L to a 1.6L GTI, which has those red caliper brakes, noticed it seems to work worse on the daily use breaking before traffic lights and at the smaller speeds, however works fantastic at the motorway and higher speeds. From what I read here & elsewhere, that is how it be when you switch to performance breaks. But I didn't expect the difference to be that much, certainly having to get used to it first ^^

Recently upgraded from a small peugeot 208 1.2L to a 1.6L GTI, which has those red caliper brakes, noticed it seems to work worse on the daily use breaking before traffic lights and at the smaller speeds, however works fantastic at the motorway and higher speeds. From what I read here & elsewhere, that is how it be when you switch to performance breaks. But I didn't expect the difference to be that much, certainly having to get used to it first ^^

From what you posted it seems to me that the pads need a bit of heat in them to work so that would be down to whatever pads you have.

I prefer to use pads that are not too grabby as it makes smooth controlled braking difficult especially for your passengers as they have nothing to brace themselves with.

I use Forza FP3 pads on my Honda and they are easy to modulate the pressure be it on road or track. If your car is only a daily then try FP2 pads.

From what you posted it seems to me that the pads need a bit of heat in them to work so that would be down to whatever pads you have.

I prefer to use pads that are not too grabby as it makes smooth controlled braking difficult especially for your passengers as they have nothing to brace themselves with.

I use Forza FP3 pads on my Honda and they are easy to modulate the pressure be it on road or track. If your car is only a daily then try FP2 pads.
Yeah I agree, very much notice when coming to slow gradual stops with the grabbier brakes.
Thanks I'll look into both =)