Are you a motorist or driver?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
IMO it is easy to pick the difference between them.

For starters it is all in the way one addresses the wheel and their posture behind it .

A "motorist" will be either too close or far away with the seat back lowered so that one will submarine under the belt in a crash or with one or both arms straight and hands anywhere else that in the ideal 9&3 position and IF they actually have both on the wheel as the norm is one hand @ anywhere between 10&2 and the other on the gearstick or handbrake not ideal for quick response to an emergency situation when milliseconds count.

More give a way's are constantly turning of the head when talking to passengers or fluffy dice or whatever hanging off the RVM and fluffy wheel covers. Nodding dogs and dancing hula girl dolls anywhere in the car and pillows on the shelf behind the rear seats are more signs to be aware that being a good and skillful driver is not a priority for the person driving.

A "driver" will be sitting upright hands on 9&3 where all the controls are arms bent at or close to 90degrees.NO distracting junk hanging off the RVM or anywhere in the car and importantly concentrating on the job at hand and not thinking about what is going to happen anytime else.

I feel the same, I was taught if you are behind the wheel that is you main job, seems that paying attention to your driving is not a priority anymore

I feel the same, I was taught if you are behind the wheel that is you main job, seems that paying attention to your driving is not a priority anymore

Unfortunately modern vehicles with all the electronic safety features like ABS ,EBD ,TC, HSA & LC and the self parking feature along with the majority being autos require less and less involvement from the "driver?" that IMO leads MANY to think that they are way better than they actually are when behind the wheel..

What happens when a driver who has got used to these assists suddenly finds themselves in a car with no assists? It's not going to be pretty!

What happens when a driver who has got used to these assists suddenly finds themselves in a car with no assists? It's not going to be pretty!

Exactly |B

I have been the first on the scene of a single car crash where the driver? lost control around a bend on a damp road and rear ended a solid gum tree and she was unhurt but shaken up and clueless as to what and why it had happened .

She said "the car lost control" but given that she was quite shaken up and upset I bit my lip but wanted to say "you not the car lost control"

More important was the fact that it was a friends older car that she had never driven previously.

Last edited: