A/T Tyres on Audi A8 D3

HeinNew

Car
Audi A8(D3) 3.0 TDi
Hey All

I have a very silly question, well something that I have been wondering about for a while.

Is it possible to fit A/T types to my 2007 Audi A8 3.0 TDi?

I'm asking because recently my family and I went on a mini business holiday and stayed at a lodge, now the 4 hour trip was fine until we got to the entrance to the lodge, it was 5km/3.1miles of rugged terrain, gravel road with high humps. Currently i have Dunlop SP FM-800 on my car 245/40R18.

If it wasn't for the air suspension that I could set to "Lift" i think I would've turned around. Still, the stress on my current types has also lead me to this question.

So, what do yawl think off fitting A/T types to my vehicle?

Thank you.

Hey All

I have a very silly question, well something that I have been wondering about for a while.

Is it possible to fit A/T types to my 2007 Audi A8 3.0 TDi?

I'm asking because recently my family and I went on a mini business holiday and stayed at a lodge, now the 4 hour trip was fine until we got to the entrance to the lodge, it was 5km/3.1miles of rugged terrain, gravel road with high humps. Currently i have Dunlop SP FM-800 on my car 245/40R18.

If it wasn't for the air suspension that I could set to "Lift" i think I would've turned around. Still, the stress on my current types has also lead me to this question.

So, what do yawl think off fitting A/T types to my vehicle?

Thank you.
Hi and welcome, I have no idea what size or speed rate your tyres are but try popping in the tyre size into Google like...

E.G. 245/40/18 off road tyres

Trawl through the lists and sites, you might just find some, but I suspect the speed rating might be an issue... W, Z, Y etc.
The other option would be a second set of wheels say 16 inch steels which will would allow you put higher profile tyres on, also online are tyre fitting calculators, which allow you check the rolling circumference of a tyre against the original, so you know your speedo will still show correctly.

It's a bit of a frab but it will pay off if you are serious about All Terrain. Hope this helps

Hi and welcome, I have no idea what size or speed rate your tyres are but try popping in the tyre size into Google like...

E.G. 245/40/18 off road tyres

Trawl through the lists and sites, you might just find some, but I suspect the speed rating might be an issue... W, Z, Y etc.
The other option would be a second set of wheels say 16 inch steels which will would allow you put higher profile tyres on, also online are tyre fitting calculators, which allow you check the rolling circumference of a tyre against the original, so you know your speedo will still show correctly.

It's a bit of a frab but it will pay off if you are serious about All Terrain. Hope this helps
Thank you so much for this. I will research and follow advise given.

Have you thought of swapping the rims for 17's and going with a higher profile tyre, it will ride smoother and IMO the handling will be better, I personally find the 18's a bit heavy and crashy.

I think you'll struggle to find 16's that are wide enough for your car with the Audi fitment stud. But there are plenty of 17's around.

Have you thought of swapping the rims for 17's and going with a higher profile tyre, it will ride smoother and IMO the handling will be better, I personally find the 18's a bit heavy and crashy.

I think you'll struggle to find 16's that are wide enough for your car with the Audi fitment stud. But there are plenty of 17's around.

Obi going down a wheel diameter size will add or should add comfort due to the higher sidewall (aspect ratio)but degrade handling slightly. Just thinking out loud with my 2 cents worth ;)

Obi going down a wheel diameter size will add or should add comfort due to the higher sidewall (aspect ratio)but degrade handling slightly. Just thinking out loud with my 2 cents worth ;)
Ti's a bit of a balancing act, but if intending to travel off road intermittently a sacrifice in handling is well worth it. I don't think he will be driving on the edge with all the family on board. So long as the load rating is correct and the speed rating as close as possible it will be fine but its definitely a two sets of wheels game, one for the highway and one for the tracks.

I agree with you Fabia12 and second your wise advise as that is exactly what I have done but my "track"wheels are for different kind of tracks ;)

Yip, my A6 rides on 19's, but I put it on 18's with mud & snow tyres through the winter to cope with the country roads and heavy snow where I am in the country.
The 18's give a more comfortable ride, but the handling isn't as sharp. The 19's are better through the corners, but they bang and thump on poor surfaces.
Try tyre leader.co.uk for types, ratings and costs. They deliver fairly quickly and the prices are also good.

It's interesting to hear your experiences with 19's and they back up my feelings too. On a smooth track = awesome on typical roads = nightmare

There are a few easily found websites where you'll get lots of simple to compare figures for comparisons of wheel diameter, wheel width and offset.
I use 18" A8 wheels for my A6's winter Mud&Snow tyres and using these types of websites means I don't have any problems with tyres fouling the wings or suspension components.

We did have a calculator on here but it stopped working with a code update so I must try and fix it, it was jolly useful.

It also keeps the speedo accurate - people sometime forget that a larger or smaller rolling radius will affect the speedo readings.