What is the best way to dry a car after it's been washed?

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What methods and tools do you use to dry off a car once it's been washed?

I used to use a chamois leather, but the local car wash place use a silicone blade and that seems quite effective but I've got mates who dry off their cars using a towel or microfiber cloth.

What are your thoughts? How do you dry your car?

Drive it really really fast (withing legal speed limits and according to prevailing conditions)

It's not only quicker but it's more fun. A sensible answer will I'm sure follow shortly!

definitely dont use one of them blades just asking for scratches/swirls

get a couple of good quality drying towels and have a quick watch of how to use them properly etc and as long as the car is washed off well this is the best way to minimise swirls etc.

also you see people now using these blowers which again totally removes any contact with the surface at the drying stage

Whereas I use one of them blades :lol:
Never had an issue with scratches and swirls.
Blade off the excess and chamois the car.

What methods and tools do you use to dry off a car once it's been washed?

I used to use a chamois leather, but the local car wash place use a silicone blade and that seems quite effective but I've got mates who dry off their cars using a towel or microfiber cloth.

What are your thoughts? How do you dry your car?
Chamois leather, to dry the car is like collecting water with a rake, so annoying. I prefer simple towels.

It takes practice to use a Chamois, when dry they don't do much, they need to be very slightly damp, the water beads, becomes a mist and then is soaked up. It's hard work though but you do get a streak free finish and only need one cloth for a whole car.

Microfiber towels work ok but I find they get damp quickly.

One of the best things to use is an old natural wool jumper, they soak up so much water it's unreal!