Driving style with a police car following you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you drive any differently when you spot a police car behind you?

I'm pretty good generally and don't speed but I am ultra careful at indicating, changing lanes and keeping both hands on the wheel when there is a police car following me.

Does it make your nervous? Are you more courteous to other road users?

It does make me scared, do one thing wrong and you get points, but the stress makes me do stupid things.

Last time I got followed I forgot to indicate and was pulled over for that and breathalysed!

Last time I got followed I forgot to indicate and was pulled over for that and breathalysed!
I know a few cops and they would call this a "prick test". They've seen something to make them wary (poor lane discipline, no indications etc) and will pull you over. If you act like a prick they will bust you for everything possible. Act politely and with courtesy you are "let off with a warning".

Am amazed at how many fools without a license or registration who are featured in our local Highway Patrol TV programs that are caught because they are driving in a manner that draws attention to themselves.

Am amazed at how many fools without a license or registration who are featured in our local Highway Patrol TV programs that are caught because they are driving in a manner that draws attention to themselves.

Forgot to mention driving like they stole it because that's what they did .V(

Last edited:
Do you drive any differently when you spot a police car behind you?

I'm pretty good generally and don't speed but I am ultra careful at indicating, changing lanes and keeping both hands on the wheel when there is a police car following me.

Does it make your nervous? Are you more courteous to other road users?

To have the absolute best control one should always have 2 hands on the wheel @ 9 & 3 when driving straight ahead no matter who is behind except when changing gears or turning. There are a couple of ways on how to use the wheel when turning I use all 3 Hendon ,hand over hand and fixed hands depending on the type of corner/bend in the road and no wax on wax off anywhere. When on track always fixed hands 9&3.

Track hand video if interested

Not directed at anyone in particular just reminding everyone of a better way to do things ;) :lol:

MY old DD car had visible wear marks from my thumbs on both sides of the wheel @ 9 & 3 that came from ingrained muscle memory or habit and it felt uncomfortable if they were elsewhere just as holding the wheel correctly would feel to others that usually drive with their hands in random places usually one somewhere between 10 & 12 and the other on the shifter for example \B

In an emergency situation where there needs sudden changes of direction that 1/2 of a second or so it takes to get both hands working can be the difference between a close shave or being involved in a crash.

NOTE I use the word "crash" because to me an "accident "is an unplanned pregnancy . Cars OR to put it more correctly their "drivers" are the cause of most crashes as mechanical or tyre failure is quite rare these days.

PS There have been many "accidents " in stationary cars or so I'm told.:rofl:

PPS See my earlier post re Drivers vs Motorists

Last edited: