Additional engine bay airflow fail

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
At some events I see the rear hinged bonnets / hoods raised to supposedly help lower engine bay temperatures but unfortunately that area is a HIGH PRESSURE area and prevent the hot air escaping so IMO doing that would only be helpful in low speed off road situations.

IF you need to install additional vents then they need to be in the front 1/3 rd hi flow area to help extract hot air and increase incoming cooler air thru the radiator.

NOTE try not to cut the under bonnet bracing as that may not pass the MOT as it is part of the frontal impact deformation structure . Check with the authorities as installing an aftermarket CF OR FG vented or non vented as they may also make the vehicle unroadworthy.

Good tips there. Getting the air under the bonnet is more important than expelling it IMO.

Getting hot engine bay air out helps increase the amount of cooler air that can enter.
Trying to cram more outside air in without an escape route to my way of thinking pressurizes the engine bay somewhat which in turn must reduce cool air inflow to some degree.

Just thinking out loud for the want of a better expression ;)

PS my old turbo powered car had a 600mmx300mm intercooler mounted immediately in front of the radiator and I found that the bonnet vents plus a higher flowing SPAL electric fan I installed solved any overheating tendencies on hot summer days both on track and road.