Adding a turbo to a mondeo st220

MondeoST220

Wrench Pro
Car
Mondeo ST220
Screenshot_20181130-071702_Excel.jpg
Update on my 3L V6 duratec engine by a company in London, it's been 11 months of work and almost done.
Year one of a 8 year project to turbo a mondeo to 650bhp

Seems like you have worked it all out but have to ask as to why you have to design special pistons as surely there would be off the shelf forged pistons that would suit the bore size??

Good luck with your project and keep us updated on progress|B

You would have thought so but the compression was too low on off the shelf pistons, it was better to get the compression ratio right for the application instead of making do with what's available

To be honest it's only just started, i decided on this car because its never really been done, the problem is that the duratec 30 is a NA engine and any parts have to be custom designed made to fit.
I'm also having to make the mondeo into a AWD because the FWD will not take 650bhp, the running gear will be from a xtype jaguar which has compatible parts.
Its all still on the early stages and all a learning curve, I've also got loads of help from the guys at torque developments international in London who have the mondeo touring car.
But as I said before, it's an 8 year project and I only started in February.

Wow an 8 year project:eek: Seems like you are wanting to match or beat the post count on Steve's "worlds lightest and hopefully fastest Lotus Elan":)

Engine is still having work done, I've not really touched anything else as such until it's back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190104-130951_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20190104-130951_Excel.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 7
Right guys this is an update, the engine has been stripped and ive decided to send it to the experts to a company called Torque developments that have a mondeo race car.
So far its had forged pistons, forged conrods, ported and polished, race valve springs, titanium valve caps, one way piston squirters, fully balanced bottom end, hardened race bearings, billet cams, lightweight flywheel and loads more.
All the simulations have been done and we can expect to get a minimum of 740bhp.
The problem is at the moment is that no one does adjustable cam pulleys for the duratec 30 engine, the guys that have the race car (Dennis Racing) are designing them at the moment and until they have been tested in the car I wont be buying them, which means until the engine is back with me then I'm not starting on the main car and that can take another 6 months.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190611-234736_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20190611-234736_Excel.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 6
Do it right for reliability and IMO you are well on the way to having a fast and reliable car.

Hope you have suspension and brake upgrades on your to do list as well ?

Do it right for reliability and IMO you are well on the way to having a fast and reliable car.

Hope you have suspension and brake upgrades on your to do list as well ?

The brakes is definitely on the list, it's got the asbo upgrade with braided hoses for now but them are being scrapped and will get a more aggressive breaking system, the suspension is already done with BC coilovers and will be adding poly bushes to everything.

Thanks for the input, all suggestions are welcome as I'm no expert.

The brakes is definitely on the list, it's got the asbo upgrade with braided hoses for now but them are being scrapped and will get a more aggressive breaking system, the suspension is already done with BC coilovers and will be adding poly bushes to everything.

Thanks for the input, all suggestions are welcome as I'm no expert.

I'm no expert but have learned a thing or 2 over the last 60+ years of driving and modding cars ;)|B

Just an update, this covid thing has put things at a almost standstill, bought a load of poly bushes for the front, had the front subframe powder coated and also bought a scrap jag for the 4x4 system, that will be here in a month.
The vernier pullies have been put on hold because there's no racing.
My tig welder has gone bang so ill need another.
Looks like I'll have to hammer the overtime in for a couple of years until things settle.

Just an update, this covid thing has put things at a almost standstill, bought a load of poly bushes for the front, had the front subframe powder coated and also bought a scrap jag for the 4x4 system, that will be here in a month.
The vernier pullies have been put on hold because there's no racing.
My tig welder has gone bang so ill need another.
Looks like I'll have to hammer the overtime in for a couple of years until things settle.

Attachments

• 20200801_233053.jpg
    20200801_233053.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200801_233202.jpg
    20200801_233202.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200801_233228.jpg
    20200801_233228.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200801_233334.jpg
    20200801_233334.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200801_233253.jpg
    20200801_233253.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200801_233406.jpg
    20200801_233406.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1
Great work and thanks for the updates, I love seeing projects unfolding. What's your next stage going to be?

20201003_161806.jpg
I've just bought a tig welder, I can mig weld but can't tig, and part of this project is to learn about things I cant do, tig welding is a must for stainless and aluminium.

Awesome let us know how you get on. You might want to explain the differences between MIG and TIG for our newer members.

Awesome let us know how you get on. You might want to explain the differences between MIG and TIG for our newer members.
Easy, mig is a welder that the wire is fed from a spool and is more for soft steel welding unless you pay big money then you can weld aluminium as well, but tig is an all rounder but is much harder to master, tig is used to weld exhaust manifolds (headers) and things like chromium which is used on space frames and lightweight suspension arms.
Basically not many people do tig work in garages.

Right guys this is an update, the engine has been stripped and ive decided to send it to the experts to a company called Torque developments that have a mondeo race car.
So far its had forged pistons, forged conrods, ported and polished, race valve springs, titanium valve caps, one way piston squirters, fully balanced bottom end, hardened race bearings, billet cams, lightweight flywheel and loads more.
All the simulations have been done and we can expect to get a minimum of 740bhp.
The problem is at the moment is that no one does adjustable cam pulleys for the duratec 30 engine, the guys that have the race car (Dennis Racing) are designing them at the moment and until they have been tested in the car I wont be buying them, which means until the engine is back with me then I'm not starting on the main car and that can take another 6 months.
Hello, I was wondering where did you aquire the hardend race bearings at and lightweight flywheel, I also looked into the adjustable cams a while back and did not find anything at that time, just like seeing what's out there and day dream of someday getting to the point of having the part to add to my engine. Thanks

Hello, I was wondering where did you aquire the hardend race bearings at and lightweight flywheel, I also looked into the adjustable cams a while back and did not find anything at that time, just like seeing what's out there and day dream of someday getting to the point of having the part to add to my engine. Thanks
I left all that to the guys in the shop, but ask your nearest performance dealer and they can get them for you.

IMG_20201108_124441_222.jpgIMG_20201108_124441_217.jpg
Looks like the Jag rear end sits too low without major modifications to the chassis, whenever says this just bolts on we now know the truth.
I'll have a play over Christmas.

I'm also having to make the mondeo into a AWD because the FWD will not take 650bhp, the running gear will be from a xtype jaguar which has compatible parts.

Keep us posted. I've heard good things about Torque Developments. Very curious on the AWD conversion here, not sure I've ever seen this done on a Mondeo. I have so many questions. Wouldn't the Sierra 4x4 Cosworth gearbox and running gear be a closer match to the engine and your power goals? Please shoot some video of this project in it's various stages in 1080p resolution, I'd love to use it on our YouTube channel with your permission of course.