TT UPGRADES WANTED

Benchalk

Car
Audi TT
Hi guys, just purchased a mk1 Audi TT 2001 225 bam engine totally standard- 80k. Wanted some advise on some engine upgrades to start with. I want to release the inner beast but want to do it right without detriment to the engine. Please advise. I’m based in Southampton so looking for local people with lots of experience in this.

Hi and welcome :)

What is your intended use for the TT ,track days or road only?

What is a "bam" engine?

Remember that you will need approval from your insurer IN WRITING BEFORE you start modding otherwise they can deny coverage in the event of a crash or claim.

Hi thanks for getting in touch. I’m just wanting a hobby maybe the odd track day to really let my hair down but mainly so I can tinker. Nothing specific I just want to have a massive load of power under my foot!!!!

Would help if you can advise as to exactly what engine you have 4 cyl NA,4cyl Turbo ,5 cyl Turbo or v6 NA.

IMO the absolute 1st thing that any turbo powered vehicle is to free up the exhaust by in your case installing a 3 inch MANDREL BENT system from the turbo that incorporates a hi flow sports cat and mid way resonator and a straight thru rear muffler as that will allow the turbo to come on boost sooner.

You can also have the factory turbo hi flowed with a slightly larger compressor wheel and I recommend that you have the built in wastegate enlarged with a bigger flapper and ported to prevent restriction in the exhaust flow when fully open.

You can tighten up the gate to increase boost pressure as well BUT I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you take the TT to a good dyno tuner BEFORE you try to use all the newfound HP as the fuel and ignition maps will need to be tweaked and the injector and fuel pump flows checked as they may not be able to supply sufficient fuel to prevent leaning out that leads to detonation.

Everything I have recommended comes from first hand experience as competed in my turbo powered car in the pic for 25 or so years.

full exhaust system including decat downpipe (ideally 3")
front mount intercooler (look into something commonly known as the wellycooler set up)
uprated turbo intake pipe
honda s2000 induction kit (get from any eurocarparts for cheap) trust me they work well.
then of course a remap you should be at least 270-280bhp (badger 5 and rtec are great with these engines)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back