Old school inspired hot rod with supercharged BMW V8.

Hey guys, here's a little pictorial of my most recent project. A T-bucket with a supercharged BMW V8.

Speedway motors '23 standard fiberglass body and a repro '32 Ford grill:

Speedway motors bare T frame:

Mid 70's Jaguar independent rear end:

Rear wheels, American Racing VN502 15" x 10" with M&H 30" x 14.5" (12" tread) cheater slicks with tubes.

Front axle, Spindles, GM disc brakes, split wishbone radius arms, 15"x5" wheels with Firestone F560 165/80 tires:

Next post, Engine build:

The shortblock is a late 90's BMW 4.4L known as the M62B44, this version of the engine was a 2 year run just before it received variable cam timing. The "vanos" version of the M62B44 has valve reliefs in the pistons whereas this M62B44 doesn't:

Also, picked up a dismantler take out early 90's 4.0L V8 known as the M60B40. This engine will provide heads, cams, timing set up, valve covers, timing covers & misc hardware:

The 4.4L with Raceware headstuds:

Measuring piston height. Found them to sit .025" above deck and have a slight dish to them.

Opening up bank 2 coolant flow port at back of the block to closer match bank 1:

Cylinder heads back from machine shop after rebuild:

Measured roughly 52cc of chamber volume:

92mm bore x 82.7mm stroke with +.025" piston height, roughly 4cc volume in piston dish, 1.74mm thick MLS head gaskets, 52cc chamber volume = Roughly 9.6:1 static compression.

The belt driven intake manifold is an Eaton M112 from a late 90's Jaguar sitting on adapters to bolt down to the BMW heads using the Jag intercoolers & injection manifolds:

Dialing in cam timing:

Using the aftermarket cam alignment tools the valve timing events landed at:

@.1mm lift:
Intake opens 12° BTDC / Intake closes 48° ABDC
Exhaust opens 48° ABDC / Exhaust closes 12° ATDC

240°/240° duration -108° intake centerline / 108° lobe separation

@1mm lift:
Intake opens 2° ATDC / Intake closes 33° ABDC
Exhaust opens 33° BBDC / Exhaust closes 7° BTDC

211°/206° Duration - 107.5° Intake centerline / 108.75° lobe separation

When it was all said and done I set up the cams for a 112° ICL and a 110° LSA, retarding the intake cams a bit to lower dynamic compression and aid in keeping the charge in the cylinder by reducing overlap.

Modifying the supercharger to bolt down to it's new home:

Nitrous:

BMW E34 265mm clutch & lightweight flywheel, mid 90's BMW getrag420g 6 spd manual trans:

The plan is to have a fun little street machine. Something I can daily drive, cruise or road trip when I feel like having my teeth rattled out and a ringing in my ear on the regular.

It'll see occasional drag strip trips, but I'm mostly going for a street toy. I do have this road trip in mind. Once it's running, driving and tuned enough to be reliable I intend to drive my project from where I live in Arizona, cruise over to Los Angeles. Join the PCH/HWY1 in Santa Monica and cruise the coast north up until San Francisco.

The goal is to have a running vehicle by the end of 2019, everything you see here is still all in mock up so I've got some big work ahead of me.

Also, last weekend I got it to make some noise for the first time ever:

Then tested out what those pipes are going to sound like:

It fired up on my base tune, still have extensive tuning to do. The engine and cams don't naturally have a lope to them, although sounds cool for the video it'll like clean up with tuning.

Thanks for checking back on my project. Stay tuned for updates, hopefully not a year & a half later.

Absolutely love your attention to detail and workmanship <B |B

Am thinking those wheelie bars will get a good workout at the track as it's hard to steer straight when the front wheels are pointed at the sky.:)

Still plugging away on the project. Register it for it's first official outting & drag race. The Kingman Az Route 66 Street Drags in late Oct of '21. So the crunch is on to get it on the road ASAP in the name of working out the bugs up until the event.

Pedals & masters mounting:

Roll bar/Nitrous bottle mount, and coolant tank for the supercharger:

Dismounted the slicks in favor for Drag Radials, in the name of being put into the Hot Rod class at the Kingman Street Drags.

Final welded everything in place, Made the brake & clutch lines. Plumbed in a manual brake bias valve and a line lock. Added some support rods from the steering gear mount to the roll bar as well as a vertical bar from the steering gear mount to the frame.

The To-Do list as of this morning:

Last edited:
A few big updates on the project:

The first official outing, Kingman Az Route 66 Street Drags, Oct '21. I was not comfortable with the car, I was not pushing it and it wasn't even close to being tuned. Despite some embarrassingly slow 1/8th times, the car went straight, stopped straight, didn't break anything, didn't break me and we all came home in one piece. So that was a win.

IMG-20211021-142657-807.jpg

IMG-20211021-142657-726.jpg

KSD10-23-21.jpg

A couple of days ago was the official Arizona MVD (DMV) inspection to get assigned a VIN #. Luckily I had enough foresight to get Speedway Motors Manufacturer Specified Origin (MSO) Certificates for both the frame and the body. The MVD treated the MSO's as "bill of sales" and performed a Level II inspection, which wasn't as involved as the Level III inspection I was anticipating. Also, because the MSO's description was for a "23 T", they actually titled the vehicle as a 1923 model year. Feels kinda weird putting a Historical Vehicle license plate on a Tbucket kit car with a 90's Euro drivetrain & fuel injection. But I'll run with it.

20220111-160522.jpg

20220111-130639.jpg

FB-IMG-1638157581338.jpg

Wow thanks for the update, you have been busy and I'm glad to see you are getting to enjoy your hard work.

You have my support for creating a fabulous rod without further reducing the historic heritage. Not only have you opted for glass but had the imagination to supercharge a BMW unit. Fantastic potential.!

I also like that you are getting into the Az street drags and not just sat in a field somewhere.

Ray.