Stock boost pressure question

darrenmhaine

Car
Golf 1.4 tsi
Hey all
does anyone know, or can point me to a source where I can find out what boost pressures my Golf V 1.4 tsi 140hp should be running stock?

cheers, Darren.

Have you googled looking for an answer ?

IMO you should have a boost gauge fitted because you won't be able to detect any increases IF the diaphragm OR the line connecting the wastegate develops a leak as that will allow more pressure leading to lean AFR's and detonation that can and will lead to a damaged motor if not rectified.

Last edited:
Have you googled looking for an answer ?

IMO you should have a boost gauge fitted because you won't be able to detect any increases IF the diaphragm OR the line connecting the wastegate develops a leak as thet will allow more pressure leading to lean AFR's and detonation that can and will lead to a damaged motor if not rectified.
On it already, got one yesterday, so will be fitting it this week

At full boost it should be pushing 0.8bar@1500 rpm
Constant pressure is around 0.6bar
Pressure at rev limit is slightly lower at 0.4bar

*(Not sure on the model years, there were some engine tweaks later on which may well deviate from these figures.)

Remapped cars and tuned cars generally run around 1.4 bar of boost, but obviously this varies on the mods and your requirements from the car.

Thank you for that, thats helpful |B
Now the question is; how much psi can I run with stock injectors?

IMO the best and safest way is to get it on a dyno and get the duty cycle of the injectors at WOT as well as the AFR's

It is generally accepted that the DC of the injectors @ WOT should be no higher than 85%

IF you are intending to run a higher boost pressure then it should be remapped on the dyno by someone who knows exactly what he/she is doing as higher boost pressure needs the EMS to add more fuel to keep the AFR's from leaning out.

IF you don't do what I have recommended it can and almost certainly will end in tears if the boost is upped by more than say 2-3 psi and driven hard.:eek:

Last edited:
Absolutely, the AFR gauge is going in next week and I wouldn't even consider touching it before then. As it stands at the mo, it spikes to about 15psi, then hold about 12psi with gate flutter.

[QUOTE="Lunchmoney, post: ...

I'll go back to my cupboard now...[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that it was a cupboard you came out of and not the closet ;) :lol: