Newbie here! Opinions and experience please (:

FazN

Car
Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost
Hi guys,

I'm entirely new and yet to lose my work-on-a-car virginity, so right now I'm trying to gather a little advice and information. Even the jargon partially shoots over my head. Please have mercy upon the newbie.

So, what I've always wanted to plan for, was a clean compact saloon that had some good potential to work on but still use as a daily driver.

What I've considered is largely driven by id largely preference with a tiny touch of being informed. I'd really, really appreciate ANY Information on the vehicles. Whether that's common sense knowledge that I've overlooked or experience with the same or similar models.

Audi 80 B4 2.3 I5

BMW E30 325i (or 325ix, 323i)

Volvo S70 2.5T AWD

I will openly admit that I'm not knowledgeable with much 'beyond the brochure' (I am slowly learning, forgive me). So I may pose some naïve questions in reply.

I love the Audi 80's but there are not many parts around for them, the BMW probably has the most scope from a tuning point of view and the E30 is a good choice.

The Volvo is likely to be the best value and in better condition than the others as the owners tend to really look after their cars.

What are your aims with the car? Are you after performance tweaks or do you want to create a nice looking show car?

I love the Audi 80's but there are not many parts around for them, the BMW probably has the most scope from a tuning point of view and the E30 is a good choice.

The Volvo is likely to be the best value and in better condition than the others as the owners tend to really look after their cars.

What are your aims with the car? Are you after performance tweaks or do you want to create a nice looking show car?

I'd really like to aim to make some performance tweaks. Nothing huge. Though I do think an S2 or Rs2 engine in a sleeping 80 would tickle my tastebuds a little :)

Do you know much about the E30 325ix. Am I right in understanding it's AWD? And if so, can it be compared at all to the modern xdrive systems or even the Quattro system of its time?

Drop in a 1.8T with larger turbo and you'll have 300-350bhp fairly easily. Get a longitudinal engine from an A4 rather than convert a transversly mounted A3 engine.

The E30 x's are incredibly rare, if I recall correctly they boasted lovely flared arches. It doesn't really compare with a modern electronically controlled 4WD system but it used mechanical differentials and actually worked quite well.

Drop in a 1.8T with larger turbo and you'll have 300-350bhp fairly easily. Get a longitudinal engine from an A4 rather than convert a transversly mounted A3 engine.

The E30 x's are incredibly rare, if I recall correctly they boasted lovely flared arches. It doesn't really compare with a modern electronically controlled 4WD system but it used mechanical differentials and actually worked quite well.

Great information. Thank for being so pleasant about it