At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

Working on the car today I discovered that gravity is stronger the nearer to the ground you get. Getting down on the ground to fit the underfloor aero panels isn't a problem. However, getting back up is a lot harder. Not something I noticed when I was young so I can only assume that over years the gravitational pull of the earth has increased at floor level.

Yes I know exactly about the effect of gravity on the ageing body:( and that's 1 of the reasons that I am selling my Starion that has been a love/hate affair for the last 26 years:)

Steve you need to stop taking all those iron pills and it will be easier to resist the force of gravity's magnetic pull :rofl:

Yes I know exactly about the effect of gravity on the ageing body:( and that's 1 of the reasons that I am selling my Starion that has been a love/hate affair for the last 26 years:)

Steve you need to stop taking all those iron pills and it will be easier to resist the force of gravity's magnetic pull :rofl:

So, what are you replacing it with, if anything? Are you retiring?

So, what are you replacing it with, if anything? Are you retiring?

Can you explain that retiring thing you mention ? o_O

Hoping to upgrade to a Honda FN2 Type R 2009-2011 model that has a Torsen LSD from the factory where it was built over your way so I can enter events and compete in some way for a few more years.|B

Looking for more ways to reduce weight, I started to attack the locks. Doing away with the door handles and lightening or replacing what remains with carbon fibre. Replaced latch cover with a CF version and also the rods connecting interior door opening handle and the latch.

door lock drilled 071118.jpg

carbon door lock cover 051118.jpg

20181106_154221.jpg
20181106_154238.jpg

Made a prototype door button. Need to fit to car along with the latch to finalise design.

door push button081118 (1).jpg

door push button081118 (2).jpg

door push button081118 (3).jpg
This work will remove over a Kg. Also replacing OEM wiper motor with the rear screen motor from a Fiat Punto. Weighs 1.5kg less. Also converting to single wiper. Just need to reduce swept angle from 180 to 100 degrees.

fitting wiper motor 311018 (4).jpg

Glad to see that you are still beavering away at weight loss and still as anal as ever and I am sure you could have taught Colin a few things about weight loss :) |B

PS how's the drivers diet going?

Glad to see that you are still beavering away at weight loss and still as anal as ever and I am sure you could have taught Colin a few things about weight loss :) |B

PS how's the drivers diet going?

Colin, Colin who? :)

On hold until after Christmas.

Wasn't it some chap named Colin way back who built a sports car or 3 that said something like "to go faster add lightness" and that a motor only had to last until the finish ??

Christmas is also my problem as I love her indoors home made puddings<B as it's just so hard to stop at 1 slice

Wasn't it some chap named Colin way back who built a sports car or 3 that said something like "to go faster add lightness" and that a motor only had to last until the finish ??

Christmas is also my problem as I love her indoors home made puddings<B as it's just so hard to stop at 1 slice

Also never take a washer for a free ride :)

One slice can be any size you cut :)

Enough of this nonsense and get back to work :lol: as we all want 2019 to be the year when " The Worlds Fastest Elan" title is won :)

PS I seem to recall that you told me "after Christmas " last year :rofl:

Last edited:
I bought a tripod for my phone and decided to check it out. There was no plan to post the result but then I thought, what the hell, why not? :)

Testing the heavy duty double sided tape used to secure the rare earth magnets to the glove box cover. I attached a suitcase weighing scale to the cover to see how much force was required to pull it off - 5kg

Surprised that the glove box is still in place given your OCD when it comes to weight reduction ;) :lol:

It gave me access to the battery and PMD. Coupled with the removable switch panel I had planned to use these orifices to access all of the electronics and other gubbins behind the dash. However, as more stuff than I expected is now there I would need to retrain as a gynaecologist in order to access everything through these openings. I have therefore redesigned the dash top so that most of it is removable, vastly improving access. Although this makes the cover superfluous I will probably keep it as there is a lot of blood sweat and tears tied up in it and I like it :). Also, it balances out the dash, aesthetically, IMO :) The Computer/ECU interface is behind the cover so that would have to be resited if I did away with the cover.

Steve I knew that you would have a perfectly valid reason for keeping the lid :)

Was just rattling your cage :lol:

No, you make a valid point that keeping the cover is against my anal philosophy regarding weight saving :) As an access to the rear of the dash is better served by the removable dash top this cover is redundant so should be removed and the hole filled with carbon. However, it is staying for now :)

Nothing is lighter than a hole :lol:

Am wondering if the Elan gets to be so light that you will need to add some aero to help get all the power to the tarmac.?

No, you make a valid point that keeping the cover is against my anal philosophy regarding weight saving :) As an access to the rear of the dash is better served by the removable dash top this cover is redundant so should be removed and the hole filled with carbon. However, it is staying for now :)

Nothing is lighter than a hole :lol:

Am wondering if the Elan gets to be so light that you will need to add some aero to help get all the power to the tarmac.?

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it that light :) However, aero is being added to reduce drag wherever possible. The flat underside will also improve downforce and stability.

Replacement polycarbonate (in orange packing) front and rear screens arrived today. However, the edges are protected by polycarbonate so that will have to be removed before they can be fitted.

20190315_112427.jpg

Good to know you are still beavering away but need to know when it will be "finished" as I want to help cheer you on in your quest BUT am getting on a bit now and don't know if I will last long enough to be around to see you get crowned as "the worlds fastest Elan driver":( :rofl:

Good to know you are still beavering away but need to know when it will be "finished" as I want to help cheer you on in your quest BUT am getting on a bit now and don't know if I will last long enough to be around to see you get crowned as "the worlds fastest Elan driver":( :rofl:

Yes, I have that same concern about me :)

OK, first attempt at making a windscreen. Used an original screen to work out how much bigger the polycarbonate version has to be. Cut the poly using a jig saw with no problem.

Next task was to attempt to form it to the shape of the opening. It does bend cold but that would result in a lot of pressure on the fixings so not really ideal. Experimented with heating with hot air gun. Reached the required 150 deg C and achieved partial bending.

I will continue tomorrow and, if necessary, make an aluminium mould and form it using the curing oven.

I think that I will leave the protective covering on so I am not scared by the speed I could be travelling at :)

20190322_173736.jpg

20190322_181712.jpg20190322_184422.jpg 20190322_184523.jpg

The Elan is finally getting the garage/workshop it deserves. After living in a draughty, damp, cramped barn he will soon be living in a warm, bright, new home. I now need to insulate, board, wire, plumb, paint and move everything in.

Hey Steve if you could have had the guy building the shed / garage build the Elan you would have already have set the record for "the worlds fastest Elan" long ago :rofl:

PS over here we call them man caves :)

Welcome back! That's looking amazing, more like a museum than a garage. Nice to have the space to work in though.

I thought you'd be finished on the Lotus by now ;)

I thought you'd be finished on the Lotus by now ;)

Like me you are doing a bit of wishful thinking:)

Am wondering if Steve is going for the record of the longest project ever that is currently held by the guy who painted the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel :rofl:

Last edited:
Whilst up on the blocks I decided to do a weight reduction progress report. Stuffed the car with all the bits I have that are still to be fitted and weighed the lot. Came in at 642kg. The doors weigh 6kg and 3kg at the moment but will end up around 2kg each. The roof weighs 7kg but the carbon fibre replacement will be nearer 2kg. The missing side and rear windows will be around 6kg in total. The temp wheels and tyres weigh 69.2kg and the new wheels and tyres will be around 64kg. So, we are looking at around 650-680kg wet.

20190814_113333.jpg
20190814_113053.jpg 20190814_113522.jpg

Last edited: