2018 Leyburn Historic Sprints

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Well it's fast coming along on the 19th and 20th of August and hopefully all my dramas with breaking the diff at the last event will lead to a trouble free weekend as the Pittsworth sprints are only 2 weeks later so I guess that I won't bother unloading the camping gear from the tray of my 4x4 Colorado.

Leyburn is an app 2.5 hour drive from home towing my car and event is held on the closed roads in the small township that was near the airstrip that was part of the circuit for the first Australian GP held after WW2.

This will be my 10th time competing and after being a spectator for many years before it went on my "bucket list". as something I must do.

It is a well patronized event with over 200 entries and drivers come from most states to enjoy the friendly atmosphere with many arriving up to a week before to get the best camping spot.

Fortunately I have a friend who is on the committee and lives there who ropes off my usual camp area in the pit area as I leave early on the Friday morning and my spot would have been taken otherwise.

There is always a large number of spectators on both days as well as a show and shine and a vintage caravan display where they are are towed to the event by vehicles of the same era and the ladies dress in the same style so there is something for everyone.

Entry list is out and I'm # 182 in a class that has 11 entries.

Last edited:
All packed and ready for an early start tomorrow morning.

4 deg mornings predicted after -3 deg earlier this week

Was - 1.9Saturday morning and 1 deg Sunday with cold blustery winds.
Was 3 rd in class after the first run but the others got faster and finished 5th out of 10 in class