Handbrake light not coming on despite being engaged, why ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I noticed it takes about 5 clicks to secure my car properly. I also noticed more recently that the handbrake light is not showing when it is engaged but does show on dash when turn ignition on so guessing it is not the bulb.

any ideas ?

There is usually a mechanical switch show it's been pulled on, I guess this switch is broken.

Another vote for the switch. It should be straight forward enough to replace the switch, also it would be a good idea to have the cable adjusted on the handbrake too.

There is usually a mechanical switch show it's been pulled on, I guess this switch is broken.
Another vote for the switch. It should be straight forward enough to replace the switch, also it would be a good idea to have the cable adjusted on the handbrake too.

thank you both.
I have only had this car 1 month so don't know much about it.

Where /how do I access the handbrake switch and then once I have how do I test it's working or not ??

I have been told the handbrakes on these are self adjusting and cannot be manually adjusted. the rear brakes look fine as far as I am aware.

please help

thanks

No idea where the switch is exactly but it should be easy to spot once the cowling is removed. You could try pulling off the wires and short them together to see if the light comes on, remember to have the ignition on. Should only be two wires max so nothing complicated. Self adjusting cables only adjust so far. So check for rear calipers not working properly or a stretched handbrake cable, this will require replacement if that is the case.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back