OBD1 & OBD2

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
One for the more technical minded.

My JDM is frustrating. It's a 1998 and that appears to be a year when Japan was using OBD1 & 2. Just to be annoying.

I really want my car to be OBD2, but I have a sneaky feeling it's OBD1. Anyone know of a full proof way to tell for sure? Without a reader, 'cos I dont have one yet (or easy access to one).

If it's OBD1 does anyone know of a way to convert to OBD2?

99% of cars after 1996 were OBD2. Can you check the engine number? This should give an indication on whether you have an OBD1 or OBD2 port. There was a brief middle version called obd 1.5 which never really took off.

Not sure how to search with engine number. My google fu is not bringing anything up, hence I thought I'd start asking around.

What is the engine code? I'll see what I can dig up for you. Can you also post a photograph of the OBD port, in fairly high resolution?

Engine EJ20230766

I'll post a photo when I get home from work.
It's the port under the steering column, right?

Yes that's the port.

So you have the EJ202 engine? I thought that was a NASP engine? Yours is surely a turbo is it not?

The diagram on this page shows the difference between and OBD2 and EOBD port.
PNG_Uniplug.png

http://codes.rennacs.com/Petrol-Engine/Japanese-Korean/Subaru-Engines.php

96 models had the OBD2 port but was just for code reading, not emissions scanning etc. So the answer may well be it is OBD2 but might not have all the capabilities you were hoping for.

What did you want the OBD2 port for?

So you have the EJ202 engine? I thought that was a NASP engine? Yours is surely a turbo is it not?
It is a turbo, most certainly.
Once again JDM being weird.

Photo of port:
JM2A4MhTELmxMg8kMr3uDKplTi5OGu1_yCHDljniEB0AZoIt9fVA9JeTlKSoIiVk8LkbL197-l4s4oJ4nz8OuzK79QaFclLrWyftIDht9rRI0NB-Iq62w2HvdVG4UNqBRQ8evkp0VxAnHoj8kGPmC61tvhQBty6FRrjCFxC4nHwNLTw7zbh9HUVRlDjH4g2_4OX8yEi2dDqa5yOJqvcLwaJ5ZcmzLpZi_GIw1GId2ei53JIIxQSTPBG0pFgBYmxPcVE7QeqSTH1BmQaYrlCZe6EZvi-zknmTcthXp4i4JFTNAe9ZXUQCIL7jYPbL1RdggN5vW-cN0CPW4bsZWInI3X66WLq7gyXfsHqOoTh_bspPu_g3SLFAuSkeBMc_6nlh73UaDdP8LdCWMonmhiz6QNdSrVF2fv2EhLg72uaqAGJliGhADTjP5-Tu5JBmQTikhY99VpPOmIh8oh8MgjPZ3u7pCH-pXADeUjstTBWtgLxTeC-EivwQgUlzrjOnbRQ5lD0N3O_G__sYvWz7X1iAqvvkgfkgao0CnYLJp-g8FgYjo91cY_HJsDP5Ya5LBiO2dImfjW_aJmH0DrBmTW9A2KFQw8emp5Uat6TpdPyZ37BOaWQWS2QZRQ=w808-h606-no

(has that picture come out ok?)

What did you want the OBD2 port for?
Looking to do shenanigans with dials/gauges.

The wifelet has put her foot down on defis so I presented another idea. And the more I think about the more I like the stealthiness of this idea:
Use TorquePro app on the phone and a double din head unit that has mirrorlink (or an equivalent).
Load app with gauges on display, mirror to head unit, digital gauges done :)

However the linchpin is OBD1 or 2 as TorquePro appears to only use OBD2.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back