Whenever the glow plug relay light doesn't show my car starts badly, why ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I have a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI

About December last year I discovered the glow plug relay is faulty on my car and diagnostic even picked it up. the GPR light often does not show on my dashboard and if it does it only stays on about 1 second usually. However it's ran fine for these past 8 months despite the glow plug relay being faulty.
Over the last few weeks when my car has been parked overnight and I start the engine the car starts great when the glow plug relay light comes on for 2 seconds or so, however the days when the glow plug relay light does not show on the dash my car starts very weakly with a very pale blue smoke out the exhaust and idles erratically for 1 minute or so.

is this because of the GPR ?

THANKS

Diesel cars do need glow plugs to get things going, especially in cooler weather or first thing in the morning.

Is it just a light fault or the actual glow plug? It's something I would fix as it will get worse at starting as the weather cools down.

Diesel cars do need glow plugs to get things going, especially in cooler weather or first thing in the morning.

Is it just a light fault or the actual glow plug? It's something I would fix as it will get worse at starting as the weather cools down.

Just a fault with the glow plug relay I think

Anyway, I replaced the glow plug relay and the problem is fixed thankfully so thank you for your help.