Flywheel removal

4burky

Car
1997 Peugeot 306
Hi,Can an airgun,like one to undo wheel nuts,be used to undo the flywheel nut?
Its a 1197 Peugeot 306 1761cc.
Any idears very appreciated.
Thanks

I don't see why not, there are some particularly powerful models out there capable of wondrous feats. When you do, try undoing the bolt both ways, the thread might be clockwise to undo instead of anti-clockwise, just a thought that popped into my head.

Hi and welcome. The flywheel nut? I am not used to modern cars but didn't know that they only had one nut holding them on? Or am I misreading this?

Yep,just the one nut.good point,is it clockwise or anticlock?pretty sure its clockwise going on the direction of flywheel when motor running.Must confirm.
Thanks for the speedy replies

When you remove the flywheel can you take a photo of it please. I would be interested to see how just one nut holds it in place; I assume there are studs off some kind involved or maybe a cogged arrangement to prevent the fly wheel from slipping under power.

When you remove the flywheel can you take a photo of it please. I would be interested to see how just one nut holds it in place; I assume there are studs off some kind involved or maybe a cogged arrangement to prevent the fly wheel from slipping under power.

All the photos I can find show either 6 or 8 bolts holding the flywheel on. Are you sure you mean the flywheel and not the crankshaft pulley?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Pug flywheel is 8 bolts and he's talking about the crankshaft pulley bolt. Best way to loosen that is to put a socket and a strong breaker bar on it, position it right and hit the starter. In my experience they've all been right hand thread and the starters fortunately spin the right way!
Pug Flywheel.png

Think I gave you blokes the wrong end of the stick.
Yes it does have a flywheel but the timing belt at the other end is run by a toothed pulley off the crank shaft and drives the water pump, camshaft,alternator power steering and down to the crankshaft pulley again.
The crankshaft pulley is secured by one bolt and behind the pulley is the crankshaft seal.
Guess we may be on the same page now and not worry about all the bolts at the other end.
Guess I had better mention that it is an aluminium block.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back