Your tips for saving money on motoring

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your best tips for saving money and cutting down your motoring costs?

Mine is check your tyre pressures weekly! This will cut the average fuel bill by around 4% per year or more if you are really lax in checking tyre pressures!

Really into eco driving last few years. Every opportunity to lift and coast means more miles for zero fuel spent covering them.

?-/....o_O

You might need to have another look on the title of this forum, it's called TorqueCars which is based on high performance modified cars! You and I need to talk Andy - preferably over a pint :lol:

Agreed, but I have been doing similar in the VW Fox :)

I have been playing a game, trying to improve the mpg on each fillup. Fill to the brim then see how far I can get before the low fuel light comes on. First tank was 383 miles. Improved that to 446. I then checked and found that the tyre pressures were low. Adjusted to recommended PSI and achieved 498! This tank has just passed 500 and still going :)

I will increase tyre pressures by a couple of PSI to see if that makes a difference.

I hasten to add that I won't be doing this in the Elan :)

?-/....o_O

You might need to have another look on the title of this forum, it's called TorqueCars which is based on high performance modified cars! You and I need to talk Andy - preferably over a pint :lol:
Yes but I'm struggling to argue with 60ltrs of fuel lasting 600 miles now and the Skyline could empty it's tank of 70 ltrs in around 150miles. It was more fun but not sure I'm getting anywhere that much slower really.

One person burned out the clutch on a brand new car in just 6 months, 3000 miles. The dealer didn't want to do it as a warranty repair but relented in the end! I doubt the new one will last any longer though!

No but coasting in gear does |B
Confirmed that with VW themselves so who knows if they were truthful ;b/

How can you tell if your car has the no fuel used when foot off throttle feature? My VW Fox is a 58 plate and the basic model so no computer screens etc.