What's your engine

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Interesting read on the VAG 2lt tdi. I have the BMN PD170 unit. Injectors were changed on the recall. DPF unit is a pain because of my driving style which is mainly eco fuel saving mode. Mid 50mpg is common on mixed roads.
Darkside recommend fitting the FMIC from the Audi S3 along with a hard pipe kit if swapping to a bigger turbo

Mine is a BKP lump of iron. That, too, has had Siemens piezo injectors replaced under recall. VW is very bad at recalls, it usually needs persuasion on legal and safety grounds. 'It' being VW.

I actually don't mind the engine in mine, it's a bit industrial as is typical of the 4 cylinder PD engines, they're a bit coarse but they do deliver stacks of torque in the narrow power band. The problem with my engine is what it's bolted onto, namely the rest of the car !!!!

Last edited:
I started with a factory turbo 2 litre single cam 8 valve 4G63 that has been bored and stroked to 2323cc and fitted with a twin cam 16 valve head and has 387 WHP
It has forged rods and pistons and all the rotating parts balanced
There are a multitude of options available for Mitsubishi's 4G motors.
Can supply more details if needed?.

Most half decent engines have fully balanced rotating parts. It's the linear reciprocating masses that are often left to chance. It's the difference between a good engine and a great engine.

I am a big advocate of the straight six designs for their inherent mechanical balance and smooth torque delivery. It's the simplest configuration which requires no balancer shafts at all.

Most half decent engines have fully balanced rotating parts. It's the linear reciprocating masses that are often left to chance. It's the difference between a good engine and a great engine.

My balancing is supposed to be to lesser tolerances than factory.