2000 Golf GTi, Can it be turbo'd?

JDMaaad

Car
Volkswagen Golf
I'm a very keen on owning a Golf MK4, in my country cars at the age 2000 or over don't need to be inspected twice a year. So I'm hoping on finding one for a cheap price. I love Turbo & Boost! so I was wondering can the 2000 Golf GTi be turbo'd? As far as I'm aware, some are NASP and some are stock Turbo (By some I mean I'm not sure if some are NASP and Turbo or all are Turbo'd :p) If i get one that is stock Turbo'd will i be able to replace it with aftermarket, without the amount of hassle and $$$$ for NASP ones getting turbo'd?

Here in the UK all the gti's had turbo's! They did do 1.6 and 1.8 no Golf's but none labeled gti's.
Hopefully this will be the same in your country.

If it's not turbo'd your best bet is to drop in a 1.8T AGU engine or similar rather than mess around getting a turbo to work on the NASP engine.

I also think all the GTi's of that age were Turbos but it can vary in certain countries and territories. There was a 2.0 non turbo just before 2000 which might be what you were thinking of. Not sure if it was a GTi though and it is a big hassle to add a turbo to that engine, a swap is far easier and more reliable.

If it's not turbo'd your best bet is to drop in a 1.8T AGU engine or similar rather than mess around getting a turbo to work on the NASP engine.

I also think all the GTi's of that age were Turbos but it can vary in certain countries and territories. There was a 2.0 non turbo just before 2000 which might be what you were thinking of. Not sure if it was a GTi though and it is a big hassle to add a turbo to that engine, a swap is far easier and more reliable.
Thanks for the tip but what if my Golf GTi is stock turbo, will i be able to swap it for aftermarket turbo? Or is that the same hassle as NASP engine? Are 1.8T AGU a better option, better HP, Torque and overall good fast 1/4 car? Are drivetrains and etc easy to find for that engine?

You can put a bigger turbo on but.....
It will need a remap maybe a different ECU plus larger injectors and maybe upgrade of the fuel system

And although a bigger turbo does mean power it also means more lag

There is no quick easy cheap fix and of course then there is the brakes etc etc

as said drop a 1.8 20v turbo engine in there, 3 different power levels AGU will be 150bhp AUQ will be 180bhp and a BAM engine is 225bhp

obviously BAM engine makes the most power due to the k04 turbo etc but im sure its a bit more work to fit than say the 180bhp AUQ engine, this engine remaps to 210bhp with no other mods add a few supporting mods and 220bhp is easily attainable (keep an eye on my octavia vrs thread to see how power increases on this engine) :)

as said drop a 1.8 20v turbo engine in there, 3 different power levels AGU will be 150bhp AUQ will be 180bhp and a BAM engine is 225bhp

obviously BAM engine makes the most power due to the k04 turbo etc but im sure its a bit more work to fit than say the 180bhp AUQ engine, this engine remaps to 210bhp with no other mods add a few supporting mods and 220bhp is easily attainable (keep an eye on my octavia vrs thread to see how power increases on this engine) :)
I am new to modding so this might sound off/stupid. If i go with the AUQ engine, is 180BHP the highest i can make with turbo? On a 5k budget, what types of mods are a must? (Turbo not part of 5k)

Look in my profile 3-4k on a AUQ will get you about 220+bhp and about 280bhp+llbft of torque tops!
But what I will say is take about 2k of that cause I did mine when there where very few options and parts I bought are alot cheaper now but I still have alot of fun with this car!
Albeit not strictly Road legal atm but on a friends farm!

Last edited:
ill list the mods required to get to around 220+bhp and put them in english pounds

3' decat downpipe £80
uprated panel filter £45
good fmic (wellycooler set up) can be done for around £250-350
sfs oversized turbo intake pipe £140
remap £250-300

you dont need an aftermarket exhaust system at this power level but id imagine with you doing such a conversion you may as well go for a 2.5' cat back system to join onto the decat downpipe, this would cost around £380-440

if your starting from a blank canvas i would certainly try and get a BAM engine 225bhp out the box very easily taken to 260bhp

ill list the mods required to get to around 220+bhp and put them in english pounds

3' decat downpipe £80
uprated panel filter £45
remap £250-300

you dont need an aftermarket exhaust system at this power level but id imagine with you doing such a conversion you may as well go for a 2.5' cat back system to join onto the decat downpipe, this would cost around £380-440

if your starting from a blank canvas i would certainly try and get a BAM engine 225bhp out the box very easily taken to 260bhp
This will get the figures you quote if it's an anniversary edition. Golf gti's came with the ko3 turbo which with the mods you mention will get around the 190bhp margin. The anniversary came with the ko3s and would get around the figures you quote ;)

3' decat downpipe £80
uprated panel filter £45
remap £250-300

Where will i be able to get a BAM engine? Off what car :p(If i'm not wrong, is it from the Audi TT)?
I'm currently in planning stage so no parts have been bought.
-Will i be able to get it of the wreckers?

A remap will get you to around 200bhp a hybrid turbo would then push this nearer to your target figure. The AGU has stronger internals from memory which is why I recommended it. Also you need to choose a transverse engine rather than inline one, the mounting points are different and it's quite fiddly to change them.

https://www.torquecars.com/audi/18t-tuning.php

Guys the fella has stated he would like either to use the auq or bam engine :) so remapping the auq takes you to around 210bhp with no other mods.
i have also seen a few k03s equipped cars make just over 230bhp obviously anything after that your either better doing a k04 conversion or look at one of the bbt k03s hybrids there k280 is very good and the turbo ill be going for down the line.

Agu off top of my head was the one with the large ported cylinder head my bro had this engine in his old audi a3 1.8t obviously on the smaller k03 turbo and it made bang on 180bhp off just a remap.

Last edited:
Where will i be able to get a BAM engine? Off what car :p(If i'm not wrong, is it from the Audi TT)?
I'm currently in planning stage so no parts have been bought.
-Will i be able to get it of the wreckers?

Yes the bam engine is fount in some audi tt models although they also did the tt with 180bhp engines.
also the leon cupra r 225 had the bam engine.

Actually, they did do the 2.0Litre mk4 Golf and badged it as a gti if I remember correctly.

Bam engine is fitted to the Seat Leon/Ibiza Cupra R, mk4 golf gti, Skoda Octavia VRS (2001-2006) and Audi TT.

The AGU engine has less horse power but has forged internals as standard and is most commonly found the Audi A3 1.8T.

Last edited:
Actually, they did do the 2.0Litre mk4 Golf and badged it as a gti if I remember correctly.

Bam engine is fitted to the Seat Leon/Ibiza Cupra R, mk4 golf gti, Skoda Octavia VRS (2001-2006) and Audi TT.

The AGU engine has less horse power but has forged internals as standard and is most commonly found the Audi A3 1.8T.

Hi mate i think you have got a bit mixed up here with regards to the k04 equipped bam engine.

This engine was only fitted to the following

Leon cupra r
audi s3
audi tt

The other cars you mention all had either the k03 or k03s engines with an example code of auq or agu etc etc.

I could only wish my octavia vrs had the 225bhp bam engine i would be 45bhp up without doing a thing haha

Hi mate i think you have got a bit mixed up here with regards to the k04 equipped bam engine.

Leon cupra r
audi s3
audi tt

The other cars you mention all had either the k03 or k03s engines with an example code of auq or agu etc etc.

I could only wish my octavia vrs had the 225bhp bam engine i would be 45bhp up without doing a thing haha
How much HP is a AUM(1.8T) engine?
I've seen some VW Passat with 1.8 20v Turbo engine, will this fit the Golf? How much HP is this? I've seen some k04 bolt on turbo for sale, will they easily replace stock turbo? Will any 1.8t engine fit Golf?

aum engine is one of the k03 variant engines with 150bhp, you could bolt on the k03s turbo to this obviously it would need remapping to suit and would see you around 210bhp ;)

k04 conversions are not just bolt on as such they require quite a few mods ill try and remember what they are and list them below

k04 exhaust manifold
bam inlet manifold
tt downpipe
tt charge pipe
uprated clutch
s3 injectors
3 inch maf
Decent fmic with 2.5 pipes
Supersize tip that goes to 3 inch
Uprated fuel pump

Custom map

there might be a couple of other bits to add

Leon cupra r
audi s3
audi tt

Cheers for clearing that up! :)

no probs dav :)

thats the one thing that stands this forum out from the others we actually have a discussion and learn things instead of going on the defensive and having a slanging match