2001 206 GTI 138 project

hi everyone me and the wife recently purchased our first joint car together its a 2001 206 gti 138 in moonstone silver, has 107k on the clocks and is a pretty tidy car seeing as its 13 years old

since purchasing a couple of weeks ago i have done the following

new front discs and pads
sportex oval back box
new oe centre section
k&n panel filter
new oil and filter
new plugs
removed and cleaned throttle bodie and refitted

the car is really good to drive it feels well balanced and has a very strong torquey 2.0 16v engine in there, but anyone that knows about this engine knows that it was restricted quite a bit by peugeot themselves mainly by a terrible inlet manifold, crappy exhaust manifold which also rattles like hell (common fault) and a very conservative engine map

so i have already purchased an ecosse full 4-1 exhaust manifold which sees some impressive gains on its own, coupled with a set of uprated engine mounts to eliminate any movement.

onto the inlet side of things i have decided go for the inlet from the 206 gti 180 which is far superior in design but is not a straight fit, to fit ill need the following

180 alternator
306 gti 6 throttle bodie and icv
custom adapter

i understand that just by fitting the inlet the average gains are around 10-15bhp.

i will of course when these items are fitted be getting the car remapped to make the most out of everything and make sure all is safe.

im hoping to get the car on a hub dyno before we carry out these mods to see what we have to work with.

but this weekends plan weather permitting is to give the car a real good detail as its in need of it.

i will get some pics up for you all tomorrow evening

nice little update got home from work last night to find these waiting for me :)

also i got home just in time tonight to catch the parcelforce van with the fast road head so i have all the bits here to start improving this engine

finally getting around to fitting the 4-2-1 manifold uprated engine/gearbox mounts and billet flywheel on monday, looking forward to getting it done as this will be the first steps in releasing some of the potential of the engine

well the car was dropped off by the wife to my mate at gt motorsport in stoke this morning to have the 4-2-1 manifold/ billet flywheel and uprated mounts fitted, i was hoping to be going up and helping out myself but i had to go into work to get a job done which had been bought forward.

anyway not long after he got a good look at it he rang me to say this is going need a bit of work to fit and will require some custom exhaust work, well i was already planning on getting a manifold back decatted system fitted once the manifold was on.
my mate makes his own systems there so he is going be making me a decatted system from manifold back for less than half of what longlife wanted so a win win situation and it gets the system done a couple of months earlier than planned :)

got a call off my mate at gt motorsport this morning telling me the car was done, he stayed till 8.30pm last night to get 90% done. the wife will be picking the car up at 9am tomorrow and i probably wont drive it until saturday so wont be able give any updates until then, but iv been informed it sounds F'in lovely

anyway heres a few pics sorry there are no better quality ones or even a few more but i had to rely on my mate to take them

billet flywheel fitted

one of the uprated engine/gearbox mounts fitted

4-2-1 manifold fitted onto custom made stainless decatted centre section

cheers fella just wish i could of got there to muck in and take a few more pics etc

im actually looking forward to the drive on saturday

well the wife picked the car up yesterday morning and reported back to me that it feels much more eager to rev and has a much more purposeful sound to it. i will report back how i find it on saturday

Well Andy your missus is clearly more in tune with cars than her indoors. Mine would have said something like "Don't like this, pedal moves the car too quickly and it's even noisier now!" :lol:

shes a good un fella, were off to the btcc at donington in april and camping at cpop 2015 in june together she really enjoys both events. not bad for someone who couldnt care less about anything car related before she met me

very much so we are hoping to also go another show or 2 later in the year.

anyway another update which i think will interest you, i have been really having a battle with myself over the ecu situation on my car when it comes time to remap it, there is only so much you can do with the oe ecu which is fine if your only changing the air filter and exhaust system but when going for quite a few changes like mine then i think we need something that will give us a much wider scope for tuning the fuelling/ignition so iv decided to go for a piggyback ecu :)

I will be at the Holiday Inn in Clayton Road at a Saab Owners Club board meeting in Stoke-On Trent on Sunday 19th of April. We usually finish between 15:00 and 16:00 so if your in the neighbourhood please feel free to pop over and say hello Andy. :)

i work around that area quite alot in fact i was at 3 addresses in clayton today.

you do know they have a cracking curry house joined to that hotel? i would be more than up for popping up for a chat/bite to eat/pint

up bright and early and fingers crossed will be giving the car a good detail today, weather seems good not cold and its dry atm.

the car is crying out for a good day on it as its been going to the local hand car wash through the winter months.

i will also be setting the wife on to clean the inside of the car ;)

So far on this Sunday morning in the metropolis, there is glorious sunshine and barely a cloud in the sky as well. I took the beast to have it's kerbed wheel damage repaired yesterday, so I washed my baby very early in the morning as I knew it would be at least a week before it could be washed again until the paint had hardened properly. I also got a bit carried away after our Eastern European cousins finished the clean and I done the engine bay too :)

Don't forget to post up the finished job photos later Andy ;)

well rain has well and truly stopped play i managed to get the work van washed and also got the car washed including cleaning the alloys and that was it, so the only thing for it was to come inside and crack open a bottle of thwaites lancaster bomber :) every cloud and all that

What a shame! :( Did the missus at least finish the inside of the car? I mean there are no excuses if it is raining, the car has a roof so she will at least be dry :lol:

haha she didnt even start it my rule is always to get all the water work done on the outside then she can make a start on the inside, bet she has done a bloody rain dance whilst iv been outside

Not read this project for a while and, well you have been busy. Just read the whole thread through again and like your reasoning 'well while it's in the garage may as well get this done also'. I was always like that :rolleyes:
Keep up the good work |B

haha cheers andy, i just think well the car is off the road all of that day so may as well get as much done as possible

well this is an update i wasnt expecting to give

fount out last thursday that my wife is expecting our first baby so we have put the 206 up for sale and have someone coming to view and potentially leave a deposit for collection this coming sunday.

so we decided we needed something bigger with 5 doors and a big boot, and on my part something with a bit of poke and something i can have a bit of a play with but nothing ott.

after having a good look at whats about its been decided we are getting a mk1 skoda octavia vrs 1.8 20v turbo in black and all being well will collect that this sunday also, i will keep you all updated and of course make a new thread when the time comes

Firstly congratulations to you and your wife!
And I completely understand I was in the same situation 7 years ago I had saved my money cause I wanted a celica gt4 went out and test drove a few but none were quite right. Then the Mrs dropped the baby bombshell on me. So I had to buy a 5 dr and looked for ages but finally decided on a Leon cupra (same engine as the vrs) can't say I regret it a baby outweighs any car with the joy you get from them!
It's just a shame you won't get to finish what you started!

thanks alot fella much appreciated

it is a real shame as it would of been a great little motor but there is no way id want a noisy small 3 door motor for the wife to have our baby in.

good choice on the leon cupra i was also looking at them as they are more my style but there is just something about the vrs that i like, good thing is i have quite a bit of knowledge already on the 20v turbo engine due to my bro owning 2 previous cars using that engine.

Hell%20Yeah%20Nixon_zpszxki1gfi.jpg

Congratulations to you both mate

Great news! Once born, you can flog the little one and buy something much faster! :lol:

In all seriousness, I am very happy for you! You both must be over the moon!

well thats the car as good as sold, the fella come to view at 7pm and by 7.30 he had left a £100 deposit and collecting on friday evening, i have spoke to the guy with the octavia vrs and we are going down saturday morning to hopefully seal the deal and come back with the car :)

Sounds like a plan,nice & clean to. Nice 1. I wanted to replace gearbox mount today on mine. Changed my mind when I looked out the windows today!!! 3"of snow .replaced the rear mount last week,vibro technics competition mount, not happy with it. Vibrates to much when engin's cold. Dashboard now rattles like a 6.4 on the rictor scale not the easiest job iv done, so won't be repeating any time soon.:confused: drive shaft runs through housing,+ not much room under these cars.:(. Also strutt bearing was on its last legs, so i dropped the whole leg and pulled the shaft out all in one;b/. I presume yours will have the same set up. Lucky my old man is well eqipped. Got a 14' pit in garage, and just happend to have a 12t press in the corner :) Wouldn't wanna tackle this job without one. "No didn't need copper grease" lol if you read my reply on a thread about wheel nut's and torque settings. You will know what i mean.:rofl: keep posting, would like to see the project come together.20160229_122602-1.jpg

Hi I don't belive this but I have this car exhourst just fallen off and was trying to find out what sort was fitted and boom there a pic of my car and reading this thread I'm going to be having a look at it more closer to see how much of what you have done is still fitted