Why cheap is nearly always expensive

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Not my words, but I ageee with them:

On the street, the use of cheap carbon fibre composite parts is justified by car aficionados who go only for looks. But then they wonder why hazing occurs or the laminates separate after a while.

One of the more popular parts that is replaced on a street car are steel bonnets/hoods which are replaced with carbon fibre components. However, it’s been observed that poorly designed composite bonnets actually increase underbonnet temperatures, which reduce engine power because of detonation effects. These are the carbon fibre bonnets that have holes and vents punched in them for the racy look.

But because they interfere with the proper airflow designed by the factory engineers, elevated operating temperatures are the result. The cheap ones which disregard function also lack the rain channels so important to keeping water out of sensitive electronic components. Aside from introducing dirt and debris into the engine compartment, they can also cause electrical shorts in ignition components and sensors.

In short, it’s better to save up for top quality carbon fibre composite parts rather than settle for instant gratification that may give you the looks but not the performance.

True car enthusiasts know which is more important.

Agree completely which is why I haven't modified the Mini yet as its all so expsensive. I'd rather save and do it right once with the highest qaulity then cheap crap and re do it potentially causing faults.

Fibre glass and carbon fibre replacement panels are not legal over here for road cars as they have not been crash tested.

I wrapped my Corsa C's roof in carbon fiber wrap. Bit ricer, sure, but looks cool to me and I guess thats all that matters :p and for under £30! Happy days :)