My first commission

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
My neighbour is making a World War 2 tank. Yes, a tank :)

It will be used for battle reinactments and on film sets.

He needed 51mm holes cut into four 10mm thick steel plates. I have never cut steel before so went to see my guru. Bought a 12mm cutter for steel plus 3 small cutters for aluminium for £25. All used but still sharp. The steel cutter alone would be £60 new so a pretty good deal for both me and my tank builder :)

He reckoned that I should be able to cut a circle in one pass! However, it quickly became apparent that my motor is past its best by date and simply stalled. I rewrote the program to cut in 1mm increments and this worked but took a lot longer. I will replace motor when back from holiday.

Charged £25 for the cutter (so getting other 3 free) and £15 for the holes as it wasn't his fault it took me so long.

There are a lot of parts to be made, well, everything really, and I should see a fair amount of it :)

He is building a Vickers 6 ton tank, used by many countries in various versions but they look something like this:

Last edited:
Nice one Steve, before long you will have to build an extension to the barn once news spreads of your skills :)

There are a lot of parts to be made, well, everything really, and I should see a fair amount of it :)

He is building a Vickers 6 ton tank, used by many countries in various versions but they look something like this:

That looks a really interesting project to be part of!!:bigsmile:

Yeah, not many tanks get built next door to where you live :) I will keep everyone who is interested up to date on progress.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back