Modifying questions '98 SOHC V-TEC

scotty_69

Im looking at doing some minor mods to my 98 torneo 1.8 SOHC V-TEC. Should I replace the stock panel filter with a high flow panel filter or go the POD filter route?. Also I have been told that the standard exhaust is what they call double skinned?. Obviously this would restrict flow somewhat so if I was to replace the entire thing except headers what diameter pipe would be sufficient. I was thinking 2 1/4" ?

And 1 more thing. I may have a sensor peoblem as when changing gear the engine revs about 300rpm higher while the clutch is depressed for a second or so before coming back down. Makes it sound like I am riding the clutch which I am not.?

Cheers

what size is the standard exhaust. you dont want to go too much bigger as you will lose back pressure and some power but gain noise ( if you want it )

i went for the induction kit on the civic and didnt notice any difference between the uprated filter

go for the panel filter and a cold air feed

as for the gear change no it sound daft but are you fully off the throttle when you start to push the clutch
i always notied that if i hit the clutch whilst still coming off the throttle (no matter how small an amount ) the engine reved slightly and it more or less meant i was getting very very smoth changes. similer to double clutching but without having to hit the clutch twice

Standard exhaust appears to be 2", although internal diameter will be smaller due to the double skin.

I am pretty sure that I am off the throttle before I change. I have had several cars: Mazda rx7, Mazda familia GTX, Mitsi VR4 and have never encountered this issue before?

wouldnt go much biger than the 2 1/4 then 2 1/2 tops

best idea would be to look and see if you can find full systems for civic and see what size they claim to be and go for for the closest size of pipe

na i only noticed it on the civic every other car ive drove never done it, unless i was still quite a bit on the go pedal. the civic however no matter how little it still wanted to do it

what size is the standard exhaust. you dont want to go too much bigger as you will lose back pressure and some power but gain noise ( if you want it )

i went for the induction kit on the civic and didnt notice any difference between the uprated filter

go for the panel filter and a cold air feed

as for the gear change no it sound daft but are you fully off the throttle when you start to push the clutch
i always notied that if i hit the clutch whilst still coming off the throttle (no matter how small an amount ) the engine reved slightly and it more or less meant i was getting very very smoth changes. similer to double clutching but without having to hit the clutch twice
im thinking of getting an exhaust, just the back box
i know about back pressure and all that

i want a small bit of noise, and also make it more power
what should i go for???
how do i check the size properly

The HKS dragger sounds nice. But as PG says a back box on its own doesn't give much power gain. I would say the headers are more important from a power POV.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back